Freedom Ordnance FM-9 belt fed owners

Beowulf

If based on the quality, customer service and reputation of a company leads you to purchase their product, nothing I have to offer should change that. Based on the fact that we have two products slated for later this year and brought in to this world something that nobody has ever done on our first release... I would hold off on buying a car, house, or anything else that might remove available liquid capital over the next 18 months lol.

Fair enough. I'm looking forward to when you can release more details.

Civil

Josh,

I really don't care that much if your upper fails or never works on my m16. What I do care about and what has stopped my from buying your upper is what kind of stress does it put on the lower. M16 lowers are expensive and running on my semi autos seems lame. So if I put this upper on my m16 I want it to be equal or less stress than a factory 5.56 upper.

How many round have you run full auto on the same lower?
What type of wear are you seeing on the hammer pin?
What type of wear are you seeing on the hammer pin hole and auto sear hole on the lower?

I did read some net rumor you need to protect the lower from the belted 9mm as it can tear the crap out of the side of the lower. Any truth to that?

Thanks!

FreedomJosh

Josh,

I really don't care that much if your upper fails or never works on my m16. What I do care about and what has stopped my from buying your upper is what kind of stress does it put on the lower. M16 lowers are expensive and running on my semi autos seems lame. So if I put this upper on my m16 I want it to be equal or less stress than a factory 5.56 upper.

How many round have you run full auto on the same lower?
What type of wear are you seeing on the hammer pin?
What type of wear are you seeing on the hammer pin hole and auto sear hole on the lower?

I did read some net rumor you need to protect the lower from the belted 9mm as it can tear the crap out of the side of the lower. Any truth to that?

Thanks!

I have not had anyone tell me their lower was getting torn up by belted ammo can you link me to where that discussion is? If you have the ammo being fed from the included belt bag it can't even touch the side of your lower.

We have KNS pins and use a RDIAS in the same lower for all of our firing and have not observed any issues with any holes. The recoil of our system is like a .22 because of the weight of our unit and all the energy going into the feeding mech for the belt vs straight back like a standard 9mm blow back. I have not had anyone report any issues and there are a lot of RR owners already.

FreedomJosh

Josh
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_23/450471_Belt_fed_9mm_upper.html&page=4
First post page 4 at the bottom.

"If using a RR be sure to use the "belt bag", a loose belt will chafe the Shit out of the side of your mag well"

The person who posted that is also the same person who tried to get it to lift a belt off the ground because his Shrike can... If you have any questions feel free to ask me or give me a call I generally spend 10-30 minutes on the phone with customers going over our system. When not using the belt bag we don't recommend over 12 inches to hang freely but strongly suggest. using the belt bag. Further down in the post he even talks about how he was doing things that our manual tells you not to do, when our unit first released I had many people call me up and they admitted they DID NOT READ our manual. If you would like to see what is in there you can download it from our website and I have updates to make involving our 6" unit that didn't exist on our last run of manuals so again email me josh@freedomordnance.com or call me 812-297-5141 I would be happy to go over everything about our system.

FreedomJosh

I no longer work at Freedom Ordnance I have no information on current product time lines.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
I no longer work at Freedom Ordnance I have no information on current product time lines.

That's unfortunate for those of us who own and/or retail the FM-9... you were a wonderful resource! However, I hope that the change is good for you.

Do you have an alternate point-of-contact there that you can suggest?

FreedomJosh

I live a thousand feet from the shop so all is good between us, I'm going to gun shows to sell the belt-fed so I haven't stopped working with them I just don't work as an employee in the shop anymore I'm a dealer.

For a new contact email michele@freedomordnance.com and anyone is always more than welcome to DM me if they have specific questions on the belt-fed I can still answer things of that nature.

twzadms

Concorde, that looks like fun. I wish I did not have 5 different pokers all in fires I can not afford or I would try to mimic that setup. Does it really feel like a .22?

Concorde

It has a more substantial feel than shooting .22LR out of it, since the 9mm in sustained full auto fire does "build up" more perceived recoil than .22 and you have to lean into the tripod a bit more to keep the muzzle down. That being said, *everyone* here that's shot this setup in both calibers prefers the 9mm, though.

And between 5.56 c-mag and FM-9 belt fed on this setup, the novelty of 9mm belt-fed always brings more smiles!

Concorde

The spade grip setup is made by KNS Precision, but Cheaper Than Dirt had the best price at the time, substantially discounted.

The tripod adapter is from Aristotle Engineering -- very well made, and will work with most any standard tripod.

The tripod shown is the Induro AKP2.

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
prob a dumb question concorde...but have you shot your fm-9 in FA while mounted on that tripod?

Great looking tripod. I might have to get one too

Concorde

prob a dumb question concorde...but have you shot your fm-9 in FA while mounted on that tripod?

Absolutely -- several times, and it's a hoot -- love it! Sometimes shot standing with it at shoulder/eye height, but most of the time I do it ground mounted. And I've let several other folks shoot it too... EVERYONE smiles, and even my government customers get a kick out of it. Here's a quick video of some friends with it that will give you a good feel for the operation and mild recoil:

patracy

I have enjoyed mine greatly. I've got it setup with a 6" barrel. I've pulled the buffer weight out. I wonder if the cyclic rate would increase if I lighted the buffer. I'm guessing it'd be unwise to lower the buffer spring since there's a lot of stuff to "move" with it.

I also asked Michelle about a rifle caliber. Looks like that's not going to happen. :(

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
soo....

I'm thinking about one of these.

Whats the latest input?

Working great?
Still in biz with support?
No problems?

How to adapt to the new lage upper........hmmmmmm

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
Mines still freaking awesome.
I love it.
Several thou full auto rnds thru mine.
Got some serious feed tray wear but still runs fine.
I think it's one of the best firearm accessories developed since the Lage goods.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter