Freedom Ordnance FM-9 belt fed owners

FreedomJosh

So I figured I would jump on here if any current or prospective owners have any questions. Ask away, share pics of your setup etc. :)

Mac guys can check out this thread here for discussion

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Hello Josh and welcome!

M11/9 and M11A1 uppers.....please.

FreedomJosh

Hello Josh and welcome!

M11/9 and M11A1 uppers.....please.

It's just not something we have the time for. We have other products in dev right now but there HAS to be a business on this forum focused on macs that could make a belt fed upper?

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Curious if your considering any other calibers?...45 perhaps?..50 ae
I forget if your system uses pull out or push through links..
If your system extracts from the links..something in a magnum flavor would be delicious:)

Yes pleaseeee make one for the M11/9.

Last edited:

dgleavitt

Yes, a belt fed upper for the M10 or M11/9 would be awesome. I would much rather shoot 9 mm through a "MAC"

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
So I figured I would jump on here if any current or prospective owners have any questions. Ask away, share pics of your setup etc. :)

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum. How many times can I get away with using the same links before they are not viable anymore? or is that an ammunition dependent question?

FreedomJosh

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum. How many times can I get away with using the same links before they are not viable anymore? or is that an ammunition dependent question?

Yes the website has a good explanation but we have talked about even a tool to "recondition" your links and a go/no go gauge for those that want to get exact. You will get a lot of use before needing to replace them is the main point of our page about the links just check them when loading your belt, if the round isn't being held securely then take that link out of the pile.

FreedomJosh

Curious if your considering any other calibers?...45 perhaps?..50 ae
I forget if your system uses pull out or push through links..
If your system extracts from the links..something in a magnum flavor would be delicious:)

Yes pleaseeee make one for the M11/9.

They are push through. The links were made specifically for 9mm it was a lot of r&d along with tweeking the tooling so I don't see us heading down the road of "lets make more custom links" any time soon lol. In face the next upper we are working on is .308 for AR15/M16 lowers using existing links and part technology. About the only round we have contemplated using that could possible work in our current system with just a barrel change and the tool I mentioned above for reconditioning the links is the 22 TCM 9R but we haven't had much time to actually test the theory. We have two more products in dev (the .308 and something I can't say just yet) hoping to have them out later this year.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
I'm thinking of getting one of these for demo at the shop -- we've got plenty of full auto guns but nothing belt-fed right now. I think we'd put it on a full auto AR15, and get the KNS spade grip setup which I've been looking at an excuse to get anyway. Without getting an actual MG42 type tripod, does anyone have suggestions for a modern heavy tripod we might use. I know there are plenty of adapters available to attach an AR bottom rail to a standard tripod head. It would be nice if it had the flexibility to get low enough be shot prone like an M205, *or* standing.

FreedomJosh

I'm thinking of getting one of these for demo at the shop -- we've got plenty of full auto guns but nothing belt-fed right now. I think we'd put it on a full auto AR15, and get the KNS spade grip setup which I've been looking at an excuse to get anyway. Without getting an actual MG42 type tripod, does anyone have suggestions for a modern heavy tripod we might use. I know there are plenty of adapters available to attach an AR bottom rail to a standard tripod head. It would be nice if it had the flexibility to get low enough be shot prone like an M205, *or* standing.

We have a KNS spade grip and need a tripod solution as well so yes any info would be appreciated

DINK

A couple of questions, please:

With the usual belt-fed, the top cover is opened and the belt is laid on the feedway. When loading the FM-9, the top cover is left down and you added that guide on the left which requires that you push the belt into position. Why did you go that route?

Also, Geoff Herring has (had?) a patent on belt-fed uppers that drop onto an unmodified AR lower. How did you cope with that?

FreedomJosh

With the usual belt-fed, the top cover is opened and the belt is laid on the feedway. When loading the FM-9, the top cover is left down and you added that guide on the left which requires that you push the belt into position. Why did you go that route?

The plastic feed chute on the side is there to prevent the belt from having feeding issues as the force from the belt being pulled is pretty violent and caused it to jam. The belt can be loaded with the top cover open but you have to be more diligent in making sure you line everything up, but if you leave the top cover closed there are guides and a stop in the feed tray.

Also, Geoff Herring has (had?) a patent on belt-fed uppers that drop onto an unmodified AR lower. How did you cope with that?

If you check out our website you will see that is does require a modification. You must use our provided mag block as that holds both the belt bag and the ejector, without it the unit will not function. It's not a permanent modification but it is by legal term to the atf or anyone else a modification. His patent is also for a duel feed upper and ours is belt fed only :)

Beowulf

They are push through. The links were made specifically for 9mm it was a lot of r&d along with tweeking the tooling so I don't see us heading down the road of "lets make more custom links" any time soon lol. In face the next upper we are working on is .308 for AR15/M16 lowers using existing links and part technology. About the only round we have contemplated using that could possible work in our current system with just a barrel change and the tool I mentioned above for reconditioning the links is the 22 TCM 9R but we haven't had much time to actually test the theory. We have two more products in dev (the .308 and something I can't say just yet) hoping to have them out later this year.

Hold the phone.... you guys are working on a .308 belt fed upper (plus another mystery project) with plans to get that out this year?????

Talk about burying the headline. Let's talk more about that.

Also, any plans for a 5.56 or 7.62x39 upper?

DINK

The plastic feed chute on the side is there to prevent the belt from having feeding issues as the force from the belt being pulled is pretty violent and caused it to jam. The belt can be loaded with the top cover open but you have to be more diligent in making sure you line everything up, but if you leave the top cover closed there are guides and a stop in the feed tray.

If you check out our website you will see that is does require a modification. You must use our provided mag block as that holds both the belt bag and the ejector, without it the unit will not function. It's not a permanent modification but it is by legal term to the atf or anyone else a modification. His patent is also for a duel feed upper and ours is belt fed only :)

That answers that- thanks.

FreedomJosh

Hold the phone.... you guys are working on a .308 belt fed upper (plus another mystery project) with plans to get that out this year?????

Talk about burying the headline. Let's talk more about that.

Also, any plans for a 5.56 or 7.62x39 upper?

At this time I can neither confirm or deny if the CIA uses ball point pens. :silly We have plans for many things belt fed and that's about all I can say at this time.

Beowulf

At this time I can neither confirm or deny if the CIA uses ball point pens. :silly We have plans for many things belt fed and that's about all I can say at this time.

You're killing me, smalls.

Okay, let's say hypothetically, a person with a registered receiver M16 was considering picking up an ARES MCR, since that is the only rifle caliber beltfed option available that doesn't require physical mods to the receiver. Would you, hypothetically, recommend that this person should wait a while, in case another option presents itself for comparison.

FreedomJosh

You're killing me, smalls.

Okay, let's say hypothetically, a person with a registered receiver M16 was considering picking up an ARES MCR, since that is the only rifle caliber beltfed option available that doesn't require physical mods to the receiver. Would you, hypothetically, recommend that this person should wait a while, in case another option presents itself for comparison.

If based on the quality, customer service and reputation of a company leads you to purchase their product, nothing I have to offer should change that. Based on the fact that we have two products slated for later this year and brought in to this world something that nobody has ever done on our first release... I would hold off on buying a car, house, or anything else that might remove available liquid capital over the next 18 months lol.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter