You guys ever bench rest your FA UZI? What kind of groups do you get?

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Have not benchrested but offhand can bounce beer cans around my yard using short bursts.The more beer I drink,the better I get.LOL

DistalRadius

Bench rest. That's funny. I don't even use a target most of the time. :)
Yeah I was pretty surprised to learn that very few people on this forum have ever even bothered to check their weapons performance with regards to accuracy. Usually just draws ridicule and phonebooth jokes. Everyone seems pretty content with reliable F/A and stops function checking there. Competition guys are only concerned with ranges of about 40 yards or less so they rarely check either.

I think that's actually pretty pathetic for a group of enthusiasts who like to consider themselves at the apex of civilian gun ownership. The fudds are kinda kicking our ass there.

Samuel_Hoggson

I think that's actually pretty pathetic for a group of enthusiasts who like to consider themselves at the apex of civilian gun ownership. The fudds are kinda kicking our ass there.

LOL! And there I was thinking of myself as a proud deplorable..........and suddenly...........I'm at the apex of civilian gun ownership. Who knew??

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Yeah I was pretty surprised to learn that very few people on this forum have ever even bothered to check their weapons performance with regards to accuracy. Usually just draws ridicule and phonebooth jokes. Everyone seems pretty content with reliable F/A and stops function checking there. Competition guys are only concerned with ranges of about 40 yards or less so they rarely check either.

Had me in the first half. I love tweaking with things and pointless data, so i have shot paper with every one of my guns. I plan on putting a scope on my uzi (sa) to see what its actual accuracy is (it does annoy me that it would be mounted to the top cover).

Anyways, your second part was actually quite immature. i understand that "fudd" is a slur used for people that don't fit in with whatever the slurer views as the best way to do things. I do also understand what "fudd" was originally referencing and the general 4 shot magazine crowd it often refers to.
Basically, what im getting at, is that your view that all mg owners are "fudds" unless they follow your exact ways of doing things is actually a very short sighted way of living. What I would suggest (yeah, unasked for advice. But whatever) is that you work hard so that you to can afford as many mg's as your heart desires. Basically become the apex of civilian gun ownership. If you do already own one or more mg's, congratulations! You won! I would then ask you to collect as much data as you can and post it for yahoos like me who are just to poor to buy cool things, but rich enough not to have the "uncool" things (i do actually have some conventionally uncool things)
Im prolly a fudd to lol. Of well. Wish i was a fudd with a machinegun!

Garrett

Basically, what im getting at, is that your view that all mg owners are "fudds"...is actually a very short sighted ...
I took that a bit differently. Fudds are generally the “anti-black/scary gun” hunting crowd. In the context of this conversation, at least the Fudds will usually know where their rifles are hitting at 100 yards, unlike many MG owners.

FWIW, I have grouped my subguns at distance. I find I hit with a subgun about like I do with a semi-auto handgun at 100 yards. It’s a pretty large group (fired from a bench on semi-auto). I generally shoot much better with a revolver, single shot, or big gas operated gun (Desert Eagle) at that distance, as compared to a Glock or Beretta or Uzi or M11/9.

Here’s a 5-shot "group" at 100 yards, for example. The Uzi (iron sights) did not so de as well.

GmDJTKfh.jpg

Last edited:

Dirk Hawthorne

I've always enjoyed trying to get the best accuracy out of a particular gun. It's part of the fun of shooting.

Testing a gun or ammo for accuracy is not the act of a "fudd." It's the act of someone who wants to hit their target.

It involves stapling a target up, and then pIopping your gun down on a rest of some kind, and then shooting the gun. Pretty crazy stuff!

I'm not sure exactly why that would generate controversy.

Aside from that, shooting paper targets is generally the best way to become a better marksman. Informal target shooting doesn't really train people to become better marksmen, because there isn't anything to improve on.

Suppose you shoot paper and you shoot a 12 inch group. You're going to try to make it into a 6 inch group. But if you are just shooting a 12 inch gong, you're going to have nothing to goad you into trying harder, because the gong rings every time.

I shoot a subgun match every month, and I noticed that my performance varies a lot, and I'm starting to suspect that using 100 different kinds of bulk ammo is effing me up. Some of it doesn't shoot that accurately and the point of aim shifts all over.

K2

Hi All,

Interesting thread. As many of us have found the "zero" with a rested OB SMG is often different from the "zero" shooting offhand. Folks running SMG matches can have fun with that by offering a "rested" shooting position from 50 yards and competitors quickly find out that they don't know their rested zero. A really evil match director will put the targets at 50 yards on a bay that is 100 yards long to make it hard to walk-in on a target.

While SMG's are my favorite way to turn money into noise, putting your gun on paper is a worthwhile endeavor. Damaged barrels, loose or poorly aligned sights, and marginal ammo all become evident when you shoot paper. It is also a great idea before trying a can to verify the bullets go straight through the paper w/o the can. (Don't ask how I found out about that one.)

I'll be packing some paper and a stapler for my next range trip.

Enjoy,

K2

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Interesting thread. As many of us have found the "zero" with a rested OB SMG is often different from the "zero" shooting offhand. Folks running SMG matches can have fun with that by offering a "rested" shooting position from 50 yards and competitors quickly find out that they don't know their rested zero.
+1...I was going to mention the same thing. I rarely shoot any OB SMG from a rested position. In most cases where there is an opportunity to do so I purposely will not let the gun touch the rest as I know that zero not the rested zero.

All that said, if I can hit soda cans at 40 yards, I'm good.

Chef

+1...I was going to mention the same thing. I rarely shoot any OB SMG from a rested position. In most cases where there is an opportunity to do so I purposely will not let the gun touch the rest as I know that zero not the rested zero.

All that said, if I can hit soda cans at 40 yards, I'm good.
Why do you think a "rested" zero is different than an offhand zero?
Is it because when shooting offhand with an open bolt firearm, the zero is influenced by the movement of the bolt as it travels forward and when it's on a rest, that bolt movement isn't a factor?

Dirk Hawthorne

If you measure the front sight on a S&W revolver, you will find that it is slightly taller than the rear sight - the gun actually starts out pointing very slightly low and rotates to the correct point of aim as the bullet travels down the bore

When you fire a gun, the instant that the gunpowder starts pushing on the bullet, it also pushes on the gun. Unless you are Robocop, the gun will start moving backward and upward a little the instant you pull the trigger.

Bench resting a gun and shooting offhand both have different effect on how the gun recoils, and can affect where the bullet lands, which varies from shooter to shooter. (I think I used the words "effect" and "affect" properly.)

Note that the same gun fired by different shooters will often have different points of bullet impact due to how the shooters hold the gun and react to recoil.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter