Why is it that 9mm 147gn projectiles are not RN.

mike400

Couple of the 158gn offerings are RN, why not 147gn. FMJ 115 and 124 are almost always RN, but the 147’s all seem to be some variation of a flat nose. We have been talking about subsonic offering lately, and I was wondering if anyone in the ammo business knows the answer? I would certainly buy them.

Slowmo

I suspect it is to make the bullet shorter so there is more room in the case and less sensitivity to things like bullet setback.

Edit to add: also, I believe Fiochi makes what you are looking for.

slimshady

Exactly. When dealing with a fixed diameter, you have only two ways to increase weight, assuming same lead alloy. Make it longer or change shape to make more of the projectile full diameter, or a combo of the two.

Member13

I always try to buy round nose as truncated have feeding issues in all of my guns....it is a difficult task

Kramer

Federal used to make a RN 147, don't know if they still do. Buy yeah, RN 147 is tough to find if you want factory ammo.

r

here is another a little higher priced

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I can see what you are saying as a consumer of factory loaded ammo but as a reloader, I don't have any issues finding RN 147Gr.

CKxx

I have had great luck with Precision Delta, Xtreme, Berrys 147 RN.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I used to swear by Berry's 147Gr RN about 10 or so yrs ago. I then noticed extremely poor accuracy out of my IMI polygonal Mini UZI barrels. I checked and the plated Berry's were measuring .354 while they should be .356 being plated and jacketed is .355. I contacted them and they wouldn't do shit for me. During that time, I saw you could get Precision Delta for less money and found their real jacketed bullets being accurate with my polygonal barrel and all the guns I have so I used them for several years until their pricing started to climb but they are still good bullets.

I later switched to RMR's 147Gr but they do have a fatter ogive that can give some issues unless you buff out the leade in the rifling then it is fine.

Now, I've been using the jacketed blems from American Reloading which work really well but again, these are blems and who knows where they come from but I only get the jacketed ones. I haven't seen any fat ogive issues with them so far.

Slowmo

If you're not a stickler for the 2gr difference, a few places sell 145gr RN coated cast bullets, such as Bayou Bullets.

Slowmo

Do you like using the coated 9mm from Bayou?
They are OK. I like plated bullets from Xtreme better, and if you catch Xtreme’s sales, the prices are basically the same. The copper plating seems to be a bit tougher/more resistant to damage during seating and crimping. If shooting unsuppressed, I don’t really care, but for suppressed, I want to keep that lead wrapped up, and copper plated seems to do a better job in my experience.

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
They are OK. I like plated bullets from Xtreme better, and if you catch Xtreme’s sales, the prices are basically the same. The copper plating seems to be a bit tougher/more resistant to damage during seating and crimping. If shooting unsuppressed, I don’t really care, but for suppressed, I want to keep that lead wrapped up, and copper plated seems to do a better job in my experience.
I agree keeping the lead wrapped up.

mike400

I can see what you are saying as a consumer of factory loaded ammo but as a reloader, I don't have any issues finding RN 147Gr.
I agree, I just have never gotten into reloading. Maybe I should reconsider.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
+1, I also prefer to use the same ammo for suppressed and unsuppressed. American Reloading had some 147GR JRN that also had some kind of copper disc at the base of the round so they were completely encapsulated which I got for $0.0715 per bullet back in October.

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
+1, I also prefer to use the same ammo for suppressed and unsuppressed. American Reloading had some 147GR JRN that also had some kind of copper disc at the base of the round so they were completely encapsulated which I got for $0.0715 per bullet back in October.
Same for me I use them for both. I just posted in another thread if you are going to reload I use a 124g FMJ with power pistol and its subsonic cycles semi auto handguns also. Ive been using it for many years. I use the RMR and Extreme 124g bullets. I still also have thousands of pulled 124g from a member(can't remember who) that I dont believe posts on here anymore they work well also can't tell they were pulled.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I agree, I just have never gotten into reloading. Maybe I should reconsider.
I enjoy reloading so not a hard decision for me. I also like consistency. I don't have the budget or space to buy pallets at a time of ammo I like. When you reload, you control the powder, primer and projectiles. Most projectiles have an exposed lead base. Unless marked on the packaging you don't know unless you pull the bullet. If you reload, you can look at it and know exactly what you have.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter