Why is it that 9mm 147gn projectiles are not RN.

Slowmo

I enjoy reloading so not a hard decision for me. I also like consistency. I don't have the budget or space to buy pallets at a time of ammo I like. When you reload, you control the powder, primer and projectiles. Most projectiles have an exposed lead base. Unless marked on the packaging you don't know unless you pull the bullet. If you reload, you can look at it and know exactly what you have.
I also enjoy reloading as sort of a separate but related hobby to shooting. I can’t go to the range everyday, so reloading is something gun-related I can do at my home.

You can save money, depending on what you shoot, how much you shoot, and how you value your time, but that probably isn’t the best justification unless you shoot a lot of something that’s a bit less common. For example, I used to shoot lots of big-bore revolvers, and probably saved around $30 per box of 50. On one hand, you can pay off equipment pretty quick saving $30/box and shooting several boxes per range trip. On the other hand, I probably would not have shot so many boxes per trip if I was paying retail. So did I really save money? I don’t know.

BEEZMAN

I've run a ton of Freedom 147 RN, 25 cents, thu m10 with 5 different uppers, never one ammo related problem... also sell Hush for a few cents more ...

CKxx

They are OK. I like plated bullets from Xtreme better, and if you catch Xtreme’s sales, the prices are basically the same. The copper plating seems to be a bit tougher/more resistant to damage during seating and crimping. If shooting unsuppressed, I don’t really care, but for suppressed, I want to keep that lead wrapped up, and copper plated seems to do a better job in my experience.

This is exactly why I run Xtreme (or other cost-effective plated).

glockman

Freedom munitions has the RN 147gr that is copper plated to cover the base. Subsonic at 925FPS.

From their website-

X-Treme Bullets features copper plating applied electrochemically to a precision swaged lead core. The base of the bullet is also fully coated in copper. X-Treme Bullets are proudly made out of the finest materials available in the United States in order to ensure performance delivered down range with each and every shot.

Around $0.25-$0.26/rd. + shipping. Save a bit if you go with their reman. I think they do a 5% off first time offer, and usually offer free shipping or some kind of deal on holidays.

They have a RN 165 gr. also, average velocity is down to 800FPS.

Slowmo

I bought some of the Xtreme 165gr on a whim, but have yet to reload it. Warranted or not, my concern has been that since I don’t sort my brass by headstamp, a bullet that long may get into trouble with variable web thickness/taper. Not sure if that problem is real or imagined at this point. I’ll get around to messing with them one of these days.

ccosby

A friend knows the guys at ncshooters supply and has run tens of thousands of rounds of their reloads. I've bought and run a few thousand rounds of their 124 and 147gr round noise through pistols, my full auto mp5s, and a full auto m11/9. Haven't tried it in my group uzi yet but I haven't had it very long.

147 rn is available as many have said.

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
I've loaded umpteen rounds of Berry's and Xtreme 147 gr. projectiles with good success. I find Xtreme to maintain more consistent accuracy and uniformity, especially with Vihtavuori powders.

Dirk Hawthorne

I agree, I just have never gotten into reloading. Maybe I should reconsider.

I like to reload.

If you spend every shooting session shooting 45-70 or 30-06, you'll pay for the cost of the reloading equipment very quickly. Or 44 mag. Any cartridge with a big case is WAY cheaper to reload.

But if all you shoot is 9mm and 223, it's hardly worth it, both in terms of the time spent and the equipment cost.

It cost me around $17 per 100 to reload 9mm with lead heads, you can buy GOOD factory ammo (like CCI) in bulk for $24.

atfsux

There's plenty of loaded RN subsonic stuff out there. PMC and AAC (PSA) both make RN 147 ammo. Back when Action Arms imported Israeli 158grn. FMJ ammo, it was RN. Famously, it had a black-painted tip to be able to visually differentiate it from standard ball ammo. And I think this is a clue.

I theorize that most of the flat-nosed 147 grn. ammo is that profile so as to visually differentiate it from lighter 125 and 115 grn. ball or practice ammo. While not universally true, MOST of the modern weapons chambered in 9x19 (at least in the last 50 years) have been designed to be capable of feeding and functioning with hollow-points. And for those weapons, using a flat-nosed bullet that duplicates the profile of most JHP 9x19 ammo isn't a problem. Even most Uzis eat it up with no problem. In fact, the only weapons in 9x19 that I've ever owned that didn't eat them up are my Mk2 STEN and Radom VIS wz35. (The STEN doesn't even like RN copper-plated Berry's or Xtreme bullets, and often snags their softer surface where the barrel feed funnel mates with the trunnion, depending on the mag I use, so I can only reliably feed true FMJ RN ammo.)

For the above reason, I only use round-nose FMJ projectiles. I've experienced getting my heavy subsonic RN FMJ ammo mixed up amongst some lighter standard ball,...and it is a pain in the ass to have to sort them out when that happens. So much so, I pretty much never keep standard ball on hand anymore, and only have heavy subsonic in inventory,...mostly. In fact, although I considered coloring the noses of all my heavy subsonic projectiles,...because I have a source of nickel-plated 9mm brass for the same price as yellow brass,...I load my subsonics with nickel only, in addition to obsessively labeling my batches when boxed up so they should never get misidentified.

Widener's used to carry the IMI 158grn. FMJ projectile to load yourself. I wish they still did.

Bret

i have bought and loaded literally 1000's of these 147 grain round nose 9mm.

I started using their 147JHP's because they have a rebated base. The purpose of the rebated base is to prevent the case from bulging when the bullets are seated to the correct depth. A bonus is that the cases don't have to be belled and taper crimped. Do their 147gr FMJ's have the rebated base?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter