using "the dip" on a suppressor

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
originally posted this on ar15.com, but have followup questions more specific to this forum.

got a 22lr kit for my laged m11. have a stainless YHM 556 phantom too. confirmed with YHM the can was "dip safe", so ran around 750 rounds of 22lr thru it the other day.
the level of lead buildup on the blast baffle was amazing! 1/4" thick at its thickest. the prongs on the flashhider were shockingly caked too.

anyways, dunked the suppressor in a 50/50 mix of vinegar/peroxide last night. good amount of bubbles, got warm and all that. took the can out after about an hour and there was no noticeable changes to the finish of the suppressor with plenty of lead still in it. so I left it overnight (in a ventilated and safe spot).
this morning, take a look. no bubbles and the solution looks really grey/milky. take the can out (carefully and all) and look at the blast baffle. probably 3/4 of the lead still there. ding a few chunks out with a screwdriver, but its not nearly what I was expecting. I was fully expecting to see a smooth core. which is NOT the case.
dropped the can back in to the "old" solution and no bubbles, which tells me that particularl batch is "done".

experiences from other dippers? keep changing out the solution (therefore dealing with more hazmat)?

what have other FA 22lr shooters found to be 'the best' suppressor?
I actually have two (2) 9mm suppressors (DTA mk99 mod0 and a DELTA) so that caliber is covered, save for a take apart 9mm can for double duty.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
The SS Sparrow is the easiest to clean. Even with that, I still try to pick off the big pieces of lead before the dip.

kinda the can I was looking at.
so you still dip your core? do you have to run thru a few different solutions or just let sit for several days?

Lafsnguy

I have an Swr Spectre that I dip every 1000 or so rounds and usually everything comes off with just one solution. I usually let it sit for about two days and then wipe the baffles and inside of the tube down with a cloth and everything just wipes off looks good as new. I have never taken the can out and it is completely spotless there is still what looks like lead and powder residue but it just wipes off effortlessly.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
kinda the can I was looking at.
so you still dip your core? do you have to run thru a few different solutions or just let sit for several days?

I've only dipped it once. I picked off the big chunks of lead and the dip cleaned the rest in a day. I'm trying to reach 5k before I try to clean it again.

I've been having so much fun shooting my mini M-11/22 unsuppressed that I haven't made much progress with filling the can. :)

jt526

UZI Talk Life Member
First 22lr can? I think it would be hard to beat the spectre for a full auto can as a pretty much bullet proof life long can. I don't know what it'd take to hurt mine, I swear the threaded end would shrugg off getting hit by a 9mm slug no problem. I like mine with the lage kit.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
First 22lr can? I think it would be hard to beat the spectre for a full auto can as a pretty much bullet proof life long can. I don't know what it'd take to hurt mine, I swear the threaded end would shrugg off getting hit by a 9mm slug no problem. I like mine with the lage kit.

no, second.
I have a SWR Warlock (purchased before spectre came out) that I love. just looking at "ease of disassembly". I'd love to continue my SWR support, but the sparrow and its "clamshell" design makes sense.
when the spectre is really loaded up, do you have a hard time pushing the bafflestack out?

one thing I do NOT want to get in to is blasting the baffles with a soda blaster or similar. I dont have a cabinet and dont want one, really.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I love my Spectre too but after 1000 rounds on my 4.5 inch barreled M-11/22 it is time consuming to clean. It's not hard to get the stack out but it is a pain to remove the expansion chamber baffle. It gets sealed in lead and needs to sit in the dip for about two days with at least 1 change of the dip.

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
no, second.
I have a SWR Warlock (purchased before spectre came out) that I love. just looking at "ease of disassembly". I'd love to continue my SWR support, but the sparrow and its "clamshell" design makes sense.
when the spectre is really loaded up, do you have a hard time pushing the bafflestack out?

one thing I do NOT want to get in to is blasting the baffles with a soda blaster or similar. I dont have a cabinet and dont want one, really.

You do not need a blast cabinet. Make you a little cheapo soda blaster and use it outside-I cleaned my Sparrow at work this morning with very little mess.Only takes a couple minutes and a $0.49 box of soda and it looks like new.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
:) Sorry for the confusion. I just meant my short barreled M11 22 kit. If I could get Richard to make me a .22 kit for the M11A1, I would be ecstatic.

I've even gone as far as getting back on the list for another M-11/22 kit just to see if I could make one for my M11A1. :thinking

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter