Unopened mag

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
Is there anything special about an unopened grease gun mag from 1956? If not, I’m going to open it, as I’m a shooter, not a collector. If its of value to a collector, what would it be worth. Would It be worth a couple used grease gun mags?

IMG-1479.jpg

IMG-1480.jpg

IMG-1482.jpg

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
That is the earliest I’ve seen. All observed are from the ‘60s with more compact packaging.

Don’t know the value though.

Deerhurst

How do you date the packaging?

I've got a pile of those like that. Maybe a dozen or better. I don't need them at this point so I'm just leaving them in the paper.

To me they are worth no more than any other GG mag. Someone may collect them in the paper though.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
That is really cool.
If you ever do open one up, I would be interested to know how well the mag's finish has held up for the last 68 years.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
In the wrapper used to be fairly common. I haven't heard of anyone collecting GG mags. I think that there were only two or three manufacturers so there isn't a lot of variation to make it interesting.

In the wrapper it should be in like new condition though there may be some off color or surface "issues" from the manufacturing chemicals (bluing or phosphating). I'd say that they are worth a few bucks more than a new condition that is not in the wrapper but of course you have to find a buyer which will depend on what you are asking for it.

If it was me I'd rip it open and shoot with it.

GunsCarsPlanes

The novelty factor likely contributes more value than the slight increase in value. Everyone is different but I'd keep it in the wrapper and just get another mag to use. Maybe someone selling a package deal could use this sealed mag as the icing on top.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
The novelty factor likely contributes more value than the slight increase in value. Everyone is different but I'd keep it in the wrapper and just get another mag to use. Maybe someone selling a package deal could use this sealed mag as the icing on top.
It came to me as part of a package deal, but it offered no extra value to me. I’ll just use it.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Let us know if you opened it and if so what it looks like.

I bought a bunch back when they were about $6 each. Some were in the wrap and I opened them all. I was surprised that some had a little rust in the crevices but nothing to be concerned about. Yours was put in the wrapper 68 years ago which is quite a long time.

Deerhurst

Wow! That makes the two I picked up out of the local gun store used mag bins for $25 and $27 a really good deal!
I'd buy as many as I could at that price! Everyone asks $50 a pop local to me. I have enough that I really shouldn't buy anymore no matter the price. Last I counted I have more than 50 including 2 of the 50rnders.

Looked at the ones I have in paper, they are all 1972 or 1973 marked paper.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter