Safe Deposit Box Storage?

sonvolt

Just wondering if anyone else stores their NFA weapon in a bank safe deposit box? I don't have a gun safe (I'm currently in an apartment), but have kept my Uzi and its suppressor in bank storage for years. Been years since I actually shot the thing - I view it purely as an asset/investment at this point. Just wondering if anyone else uses bank storage for their Class III stuff?

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 6.43.41 PM.png

APEXgunparts

Years ago a fellow Soldier told me he put his STEN in a safe deposit box while he was stationed outside the USA.
Only issue was they kept raising the rates on the safe deposit box rental.
Not being local meant he had to pay and couldn't move the gun to another place.

Richard

Chef

According to that article, basically anything valuable and worthy of putting in a safe deposit box, shouldn't be put in one.
Ridiculous.

But no, I wouldn't store any of my valuable firearms, especially NFA ones, in a safe deposit box.

If I needed safe storage of my firearms while I was away from them for an extended period of time, I'd arrange to store them with family. In a safe that I bought and relocated to their home for just that purpose. A very good quality one and one that my family wouldn't have the combination to open.
But only to family I trust who live in a owned home, no apartments, no rebelious teens, no ex-felons etc.. And I'd put a lot of weight in the bottom of the safe, to deter it from being moved.
If I didn't have family I trusted, I'd rent a car sized storage locker, buy a old van of some kind, put the safe in the back and cover it with useless looking junk and worthless furniture, then drive the van into the unit and disable it by removing the distributor or some other method and remove the wheels and leave it on cinder blocks so it couldn't be easily hot-wired and driven.

All of this assuming I didn't have my own home, of course.
Otherwise I'd just tear up a section of my garage or basement concrete and bury a safe there and poor fresh concrete over it, like John Wick did in the first film.

mike400

I don’t know what the boxes go for every month. However, over time you might end up saving money by purchasing a gun safe. Doesn’t have to be $3000. Costco sometimes has decent prices.

Chef

Safes are like the firearm equivalent of car insurance.
If you can't afford insurance for your car, you shouldn't be driving it. It's just social responsibility.
The same goes for a safe to store your firearms in.
If you can't afford a good, high quality safe, then you probably don't have any business owning something like a FA UZI.

AzAtty480

UZI Talk Life Member
High value items like this UZI are probably safer in a Safe Deposit box then a gun safe inside a residence. Much easier for burglars to steal at a residence than a bank. If space was an issue and you needed to store other items, you could probably just keep the receiver in the safe deposit box. It would take up less space than the whole firearm. The parts like the lower, top cover, bolt, barrel, have much less value and are replaceable (although the prices for those have gone up and availability has gone down).

But the article or blog referenced above does make some good points.

Paul Kersey

According to that article, basically anything valuable and worthy of putting in a safe deposit box, shouldn't be put in one.
Ridiculous.

But no, I wouldn't store any of my valuable firearms, especially NFA ones, in a safe deposit box.

If I needed safe storage of my firearms while I was away from them for an extended period of time, I'd arrange to store them with family. In a safe that I bought and relocated to their home for just that purpose. A very good quality one and one that my family wouldn't have the combination to open.
But only to family I trust who live in a owned home, no apartments, no rebelious teens, no ex-felons etc.. And I'd put a lot of weight in the bottom of the safe, to deter it from being moved.
If I didn't have family I trusted, I'd rent a car sized storage locker, buy a old van of some kind, put the safe in the back and cover it with useless looking junk and worthless furniture, then drive the van into the unit and disable it by removing the distributor or some other method and remove the wheels and leave it on cinder blocks so it couldn't be easily hot-wired and driven.

Otherwise I'd just tear up a section of my garage or basement concrete and bury a safe there and poor fresh concrete over it, like John Wick did in the first film.
Google for videos of "Breaking into Gun Safes" and you won't feel as comfortable. If someone knows what they are doing, it can only take minutes. (Generally they can cut out the sides and not go through the front. :O( ) BUT- better they can be better than nothing and it may keep amateurs out. If you get a real expensive one perhaps they are "safer".

Best way to guard your toys is to KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT on what you have and only tell TRUSTED friends that can keep their mouths shut as well. Don't necessarily rely on the ol' "please don't tell anyone" because that can have a "ripple effect".

sonvolt

Ridiculous.

Holy moly, that incapacitated van scheme is creative, I'll give you that, but about 2000% more difficult than driving the two miles to my bank and turning a key on a lock box. Serious points for creativity though! I had an entire gun collection stolen out of a supposedly secure climate controlled storage facility a few years ago though, so I'll never again leave a gun in a rental unit, no matter how well hidden under junk.

I was overseas for 7 years and the Uzi's lock box fees cost me something like $75 a year I think, so for me, it's been a good solution.

Slowmo

Google for videos of "Breaking into Gun Safes" and you won't feel as comfortable. If someone knows what they are doing, it can only take minutes. (Generally they can cut out the sides and not go through the front. :O( ) BUT- better they can be better than nothing and it may keep amateurs out. If you get a real expensive one perhaps they are "safer".
Yeah, the difference in a lot of safe ratings is in 5 minute intervals. For example an RSC 1 can withstand a 5-minute attack by a burglar with tools. RSC Level 2 and 3 are 10-minute attacks by two or three burglars. TL-15 is 15 minutes. It goes on like that but in my opinion, the time periods are all pretty short while the cost difference can be quite large.

An insurance policy is a smart complimentary choice in my opinion.

Chef

Holy moly, that incapacitated van scheme is creative, I'll give you that, but about 2000% more difficult than driving the two miles to my bank and turning a key on a lock box. Serious points for creativity though! I had an entire gun collection stolen out of a supposedly secure climate controlled storage facility a few years ago though, so I'll never again leave a gun in a rental unit, no matter how well hidden under junk.

I was overseas for 7 years and the Uzi's lock box fees cost me something like $75 a year I think, so for me, it's been a good solution.
If I only had the one UZI, the incapacitated van scheme would be overkill for sure. And expensive. But if you have around 100 guns, and more than a few machine guns, a safe deposit box isn't a viable option.
But if I did have just one UZI and I was worried about it being stolen, I'd probably just hide the stripped receiver somewhere in my house. There are a lot of great places that come to mind, ones no criminal would discover, unless they set up shop and tear the place apart, or have the high tech equipment to scan through walls.
But I suspect the average home invader doesn't have the time or resources to get that involved to find one gun. And a "Ocean's 11" crew isn't likely to target the owner of one UZI either.
Most of the cars people own are worth triple what a transferable UZI is, and they are just sitting in your driveway, begging to be taken.

Zohan

Just wondering if anyone else stores their NFA weapon in a bank safe deposit box? I don't have a gun safe (I'm currently in an apartment), but have kept my Uzi and its suppressor in bank storage for years. Been years since I actually shot the thing - I view it purely as an asset/investment at this point. Just wondering if anyone else uses bank storage for their Class III stuff?

View attachment 39657
When you sign up for a box it specifically tells that you can’t keep guns in it.

Dirk Hawthorne

You should have a gun safe. That would keep the gun out of the hands of little kids and smash-and-grab criminals.

But a gun safe will not stop a professional. I worked at a movie house that had a huge safe and some criminals broke in and tore it open like a beer can.

What everyone really needs is gun insurance. I use Eastern Insurance Group, they a good reputation and seem to be the cheapest.

Gun insurance would probably cost about the same as the deposit box.

But to answer your question - I shoot my UZI all the time and so a deposit box wouldn't work for me. I don't like that idea anyway, I'd want it handy even if I didn't shoot it.

K2

Hi All,

While I'm no expert, I like to think layers. Video (doubles as a motion sensor alarm), alarm (wireless and/or wired), safes (shell game, have several), and try to be discrete.

I'm with Dirk on availability. Handy.

Enjoy,

K2

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
If you have a no reputable gun shop, that’s been around for years I’m sure they would store it for you if you’re away for a while, just charging you a slight fee.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter