M16 'Ultimax'

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Some stuff I've been working on that may interest you guys:
Please see link below.
https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1403
Basically, I have a few configurations working where the carrier doesn't bottom out resulting in a very smooth experience and very little gas to the face even full auto suppressed.
I have more videos and info on my site

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I've been playing with that too! Biggest hurdle for me has been ammo consistency. I can pretty much get there with one type of ammo and magazine. Pmags feel like they feed smoother to me as opposed to GI mags. Been using a A5 buffer with all the weights removed and a tubb 300blkout spring. Also one of your Govnah (sp?) gas blocks with an undersized gas port. I do not remember the size, but can check if you would like. The idea was to have a suppressed setting that would just barely function without a can and a non suppressed setting. While playing around with tuning, it became incredibly smooth. I was not shooting for constant recoil, just a suppressed setting that would function with a minimal amount of mass and gas. I need to get the weight up on the M16 and then I will compare it to the ultimax.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
You playing around with maximizing the stroke too? If so, which BCG are you using?

chili17

Staff member
No sir. Just a run of the mill m16 bolt and carrier
The constant recoil was just a side effect, not what I was shooting for.
I doubt it will ever be as smooth as the ultimax because it is a closed bolt vs open and not sure you can get the timing right to offset the ignition/bolt lurch of a closed bolt without hammer follow. Would be interesting to try with a m16 open bolt FCG to see what that does.

Ultimax is super smooth. We can put 3-4rd burst on a metal man @ 400yds all day long

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Are you doing some high speed video like me to see if the carrier is bottoming out or not?

chili17

Staff member
no sir, just basing on the fact that i cannot feel the buffer bottoming out and bolt will not lock on a empty mag

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Yeah, with only around 1/4" of distance that a milspec carrier can go beyond the BHO, there is not much room to get that sweet spot.
Using carbine or mid or rifle length gas?
I'm going to TIG up some Mid and Rifle length gas tubes with a fat tube in the middle like PRI. A buddy let me try some that his friend did and there was no gas to the face. I don't think i felt any with my 10.5 either.

chili17

Staff member
carbine on a 11.5"
I have never tried one of pri gas tubes
You might try brazing the tubes. Seems like that would be easier than welding. Of course my welding skills are questionable. Lets just say Im a better grinder than welder :)

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I didn't think brazing would be strong enough. I already TIGed a Rifle and MId tube but made the fat section too long so too much volume but my welds didn't fail so I'm happy.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
This is a really interesting project.
Some really great information on your website too.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
This prompted me to go look at the Surefire OBC. It seems a shame that they discontinued it... or was it replaced with something else?

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
This prompted me to go look at the Surefire OBC. It seems a shame that they discontinued it... or was it replaced with something else?
After speaking with Amphibian, I called Surefire. Apparently, it’s not discontinued but they can’t give me any idea of when or if they’ll have them again.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
After speaking with Amphibian, I called Surefire. Apparently, it’s not discontinued but they can’t give me any idea of when or if they’ll have them again.
Well, as discussed on my site, you can also use the LWRC carrier to obtain the same results.
Appears to be in stock right now direct: https://www.lwrci.com/LWRCI-Direct-Impingement-Bolt-Carrier_p_223.html
You don't need any spacer in the buffer tube if you go with the LWRC one piece carrier but then you do need to mill out a charging handle for the key clearance.
BTW, here is something interesting that I noticed:
charging-handles.jpg

Also here is a picture of my Mid gas test configuration.
11_5_Mid.jpg

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter