M16 price

dchi

M16 price

Im in the process of buying a preban colt ar15 with and all steel RDIAS. The gun looks like it in excellent condition. Its on a form 3 out of state. Im paying $8500 plus all taxes. Is this a good deal? After transfer could I sell the gun and keep the sear and drop it into a post ban ar 15 that I already have?

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
A Colt registered receiver for $8500? I think those days are gone.

davidl

the dias is registered OK you will be grinding those lower recievers into powder with the base. to bad it wasnt a RR.
i guess the lowers will have to be considered disposible.

Deanh

Sell the preban lower and buy a Bushmaster postban lower for the DIAS. You should come out 700-900 ahead on that transaction.

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
It is not how much you pay, but whether or not you have one.

Agree with dchi, sell the Colt and put it in a post-ban bushy.

Form3 - Form4 could take several months, I would get the COLT NOW, and sell it now.As we close in on the expiration of the AW Ban, prices are only going down. Theywill only go up if action is taken, and that is nowhere in sight right now.

tony k

FFL/C&R
dchi, just make sure the RDIAS has its own serial number and that the Form 4 is for the RDIAS itself. There are a few cases out there where an unnumbered RDIAS was married to an undrilled (but registered) semi lower. In those cases, you cannot move the RDIAS to a new lower receiver, yet you also cannot drill the receiver to make it an RR, which is enough of a drawback to affect its value.

al nukem

FFL
Hi, I have a Colt AR15A2 Registered Reciever converted by "Billistics", the best in the business, I will sell for $8500. It is in a collection & I already have a M16A1 & a XM177, so I don't need it. The only down side is. it is on a Form 4 in Pa., which means it will cost you $200 to transfer to your dealer if your not in Pa. If you have any interest email me @ tpbrown@adelphia.net or call weekdays @ 724-728-7806 Thanks

dchi

Oh boy now Im worried. I went ahead and paid for it the other day. I assumed that the DIAS was the registered part since it was a early 90's colt that it was in. I think I missunderstood the meaning of a married sear and gun. I thought as long as the gun didn't have any m16 parts in it and had a 16" barrel i could take the sear out and put it into another ar15 and be legal. I bought it over a RR because I thouht that it should last forever and recievers being alluminum will get loose over time. Im going call the dealer tomarrow and make sure the sear it registered by itself. I was also hoping I could put it into one of those new ar15 lowers made to take ak47 mags. As for the other fellows post about it eating up my lower, is that true? And how would it do that? It seems to have about 1"x1/2" flat steel base that rests on the the inside of the lower. I don't see how it could pound on the alluminum it rests on.

Paul556

UZI Talk Supporter
If its a 90's gun I think you are fine. I paid $7500 for an Oly Arms RR about two months ago. The Colts are at a premium even if it is just a host gun. DIAS's have spiked a lot lately. I think I saw one for $6900 a little while ago, but I am sure it lasted a matter od seconds before it got snapped up. When I was buying my Oly I tried for a DIAS that hit the market for $7500 and I was too slow. I think you did OK. You may have done better, but it would have been very hard. Sell the Colt like they said and you will be able to back out $500 to $1000 depending on the sucker who buys your Colt. Good luck.

tony k

FFL/C&R
Unless you are the sorta guy who enjoys intentionally breaking things, I doubt you'll wear out either an RR or an RDIAS.

I've seen range-rental RRs that have gone 1.5-2 million rounds and are still functioning just fine with nothing more than routine maintenance; a few needed bushings installed in the pin holes, but that's an easy fix.

Depspite lots of rumors, I have never seen a DIAS that managed to destroy its lower.

Now, if you are into using crappy reloads or questionable surplus ammo (leading to the dreaded KB), or like to jump out of airplanes or scuba-dive with your M16, it is possible to break one. Either RR or RDIAS. Short of that, you'll be cool.:)

dchi

Well deal was done and I paid for an all steel RDIAS that is registered by itself and its in a preban colt sporter. The rifle has a flatop, flip up rear sights, rail type front handgaurds, sure fire light with the bigger lamp, verticle front grip. Looks kinda like and m4 with an A2 stock. I couldn't find a RR COlt A2 for less that $10k until after I paid for this one. Now I came across 2 for $8500, that figures. Well in ten year It will be worth whole lot more than I paid for it. Now where can I find a shrike kit and one of those lowers that take AK47 mags?

Matt41

m16

Just an FYI. There are some Oly arms m16 RR on subguns for $7500. Saw this a couple of weeks ago. The neat thing about Oly arms RR is that you can have the receiver reproduced. Yep I already spoken to them about this and have a letter from BATF saying it's legal. They are starting the Titanium reciever again in December!

Paul556

UZI Talk Supporter
Re: m16

Matt41 said:
Just an FYI. There are some Oly arms m16 RR on subguns for $7500. Saw this a couple of weeks ago. The neat thing about Oly arms RR is that you can have the receiver reproduced. Yep I already spoken to them about this and have a letter from BATF saying it's legal. They are starting the Titanium reciever again in December!

Now that's an idea. A titanium M16. I just bought an Oly, so I may have to upgrade. That would go along way to surviving the Shrike.

Matt41

m16

Feel free to call and bug them. Brian is the production manager. He is a bit stand-offish. But the more us NFA guys bug them about the Ti receivers the faster they will get their butts is gear. According to an inside sorce they have the forged Ti recievers but won't machine them until December at the earliest. The good news is that they have already purchased all the tools and equipment. So, they are committed. And when Brian tells you they will only do the receiver in forged aluminum. Don't give in. Keep the heat on him. He'll fold. Just as he has done with me.
Groovy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dchi

Nutts! Im always a day late and a dollar short, I came across 2 olympics RR for $7500 and passed because all the negative things i heard. And I was afraid of loose recievers and egging holes. I was always told to get a colt. I figure with a DIAS in a colt was the next best thing.

Matt41

Colts are nice. Their customer service sucks. After we figured out that you can get the Oly RR redone we called up Colt to do the same with a buddies. They pretty much told us to pack sand.
And that is putting it nicely. If you are interested. I think I might know of where to find a Colt RR ar-15 conversion here in Orygun for about $6500. I turned it down about six months ago. I could go check with the guy and see if it's still for sale.
Let me know. Matt

xm15e2s

what what what?

Matt41 posted:

Are you refering to reproducing a worn oly RR? please post this letter! A NFA can only be repaired and never be reproduced. yes a preban semi receiver if unservicable can be reproduced by the maker and stamped with the orginal SN, but not an NFA item. If you have such a letter it will be a new ruling by the BATF and will set people's head spinning thinking of all the possibilities. If you have such BATF approval letter and cant post it, please contact me and I will pay you to fax it to me. A NFA item can only be repaired.
Parts of an NFA item can be reused and incorporated to make a new NFA item. Example: there are a few rare examples where an AR-15 lightning link was made into a RDIAS by bending, welding and having the orginal serial number part reused into the new RDIAS.

Last edited:

Quarterbore

UZI Talk Life Member
I would also suggest confirming your facts regarding having any machinegun remanufactured.... I will give you $20 if you can show me in writing where the ATF says that a M-16 can be remanufactured onto a new lower.

The ATF has said that you can remanufacture semi-auto rifle lowers as a REPAIR but to my knowledge this was and is not allowed for machineguns.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter