Lightweight match AR build-off.

Zohan

Last edited:

Zohan

If you use Original M16 diameter barrel, you'll need that size Front Sight/Gas Block. A2 is larger diameter. Brownell's (& others,I'm sire) carry M16 diameter barrels & FS.

i ordered Wilson Combat Match AR-15 Barrel 5.56x45mm NATO Lightweight Contour 16" 1 in 7" Twist Stainless Steel
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-G...6-1-7-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556LW16/

586998.jpg

Zohan

geissele trigger Installation takes 2-3min
super crips brake, very short reset, ~1/8" over travel - this thing is worth every penny
656E2D75-3194-4042-B11A-C5E0074DA924.jpg

Last edited:

attherange

UZI Talk Supporter
Years ago I developed the Double Star C3 platform for their production line. I was able to keep the rifle under 6lbs. using there OEM factory components. I would be very cautious about aluminum and steel together in combination where extreme heat and excessive contact are going to be the norm.

Zohan

from the info on the web C3 looks like a nice rifle

What do you think about Ti carriers from SCT or Kaiser seem to be lightest titanium carriers available for purchase. I wish BoomFab was still around 4.4oz

Years ago I developed the Double Star C3 platform for their production line. I was able to keep the rifle under 6lbs. using there OEM factory components. I would be very cautious about aluminum and steel together in combination where extreme heat and excessive contact are going to be the norm.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
My EXTAR EXP556 is built with polymer mag release, trigger, selector, disconnect, and even the selector detent pin. I thought, "Really... polymer FCG?!?" So far with about 8 magazines/240 rounds through it (new gun), there have been no issues, though I've just this weekend put in a metal drop-in trigger, which seems to work fine with the polymer selector. Not that I'd want to use the polymer FCG parts long term in a high-end build like yours, but some or all would do the job for the firing test portion of your contest, where every ounce -- and maybe portion of an ounce -- counts.

Zohan

My EXTAR EXP556 is built with polymer mag release, trigger, selector, disconnect, and even the selector detent pin. I thought, "Really... polymer FCG?!?" So far with about 8 magazines/240 rounds through it (new gun), there have been no issues, though I've just this weekend put in a metal drop-in trigger, which seems to work fine with the polymer selector. Not that I'd want to use the polymer FCG parts long term in a high-end build like yours, but some or all would do the job for the firing test portion of your contest, where every ounce -- and maybe portion of an ounce -- counts.

weigh in will be the way you shoot it.
the way we came up with the rules is ... we wanted to get lightweight AR15s for a pig hunt... the accuracy is a compromised as weight goes down. (my <0.25MOA rifle is about 16LB) but what is the point of a rifle if you can't hit anything with it... thats how this this thing came about.

i looked up EXTAR EXP-556 Lightweight Pistol - for a mostly polymer pistol with 8.25” barrel no stock at all - 4.06LB is not really lightweight

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
For barrels this is a good choice that is $100 less and 3oz lighter:
http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-gov-pencil-carbine-cmv-modern-barrel.html
Not target crown, but they would probably do if for you if you call them. If it were 1/9 instead of 1/7 It would be my go to, but you can match your load to the 1/7 so not an issue for hunting.

This one is 6oz lighter
http://faxonfirearms.com/16-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

You will find that a gov't profile barrel will pretty much always weigh less than the alternative muzzle device, thus 16" of barrel with no muzzle device is lighter than a 14.5" pinned and welded, and it has more muzzle velocity too. So I would think a 16" gov't profile with a target crown is the best possible choice.

IIRC when I tried to do this, using a standard type FSB saves weight and lots of money because you can just get a plain carbon fiber handguard without having to worry about getting one with a rail on it. The tubular ones are much more reasonably priced too. Looks like you're already in the right direction with the A2 buffer tube with a shoulder rest on the end. Is that lighter than the Ace ARUL?

If you're serious about it being in hunting trim when you're done, and want to fight fair, then I'd go with a 4x scope with a single lightweight claw mount ring. Something like the Bushnell Monarch will last you a couple lifetimes, they hunt rhino with that. This will probably help your accuracy because it would also open you up to a floating front end too (no FSB), but the lightest rifle will always be irons so that is probably the way to go if you're serious about winning. One tip I picked up from shooting my AR at 100 yards on irons was to get a KNS precision front sight that is thinner. The standard post covers the whole bullseye at 100yds.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...spx?avs|Manufacturer_1=KNS+PRECISION,+INCxzzx

I personally do not go for the light weight bolts and carriers, to me it's just not worth the headache they seem to come with, and my research as of a couple years ago was that they made the rifle less reliable. You're shooting good quality ammo out of this thing, and I don't think a kaboom is much of a factor. I'd keep the full (or one of the marginally lighter standard) BCG (there is a list on Arfcom by weight), and go polymer lower receiver personally. I spent big bucks on a Mag Tactical magnesium lower when it was new, 5.875 oz, and don't feel like it was worth the money vs a polymer.

For grip, Magpul Kgrip, 2oz.

If you do get a lighter BCG, you've GOT to have an adjustable gas block.

PS: Once you shoot with an A2 length buffer, you won't want to go back to carbine length. It's smoother!

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
This thread makes me want to build another ultra-light, but ever since I got my Su-16ca, I just can't justify it. That thing is 4.7lb out of the box, with side cocking and a folding stock!

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
There are two 10 round magazines in the buttstock, takes standard AR-15 magazines.

I have mine set up with a little lightweight 2-7 scope

The handguard can be used as a bipod. It's not the best bipod, but it is nice in a pinch. You can see the piston tube here.

Stock folded

They go for about $650.

Last edited:

Zohan

Do to the competitive nature of this event I will post the rest of the details after it is over.
I did consider other lighter barrels but wilson combat is one of the lightest match 16" barrels available

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter