Duracoat Parkerizing Match

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Did you, or the seller, or the dealer, insure it?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Personally I would send it to Sam and get it reparkerized. Even if the color of the Duracoat matched exactly, the Duracoat finish would be a different texture. Three shooting positions down the line might not notice, but ever time you hold the gun I'd be willing to bet that you would. Good luck with the repair.

Scott

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
+1 on blast & re-park - it will be perfect
If you are going to shoot it, I;d do that a bit before sening if off for work...

Galil#1

+3, Sam will do an Awesome job on it and well worth the likely wait.

Rob1928

UZI Talk Supporter
+1 on blast & re-park - it will be perfect
If you are going to shoot it, I;d do that a bit before sening if off for work...

Yep, I'd put at least 500-1k rounds through it then send it off to Sam for a repark. That way you'll know if there is anything else you'd like him to tweak or take a look at while he has it.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
As dumb as it sounds, try and rub some oil into it. You’d be surprised sometimes what will hide when you rehydrate the porous finish with some oil. Sometimes those superficial scratches almost disappear after some use when the dirt and grime of use gets rubbed into them. But then again this is coming from a guy that views them as tool…. Just expensive ones :)

Also…… when you replace the selector it will hide most of it… after all who ever uses semi anyhow.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
I've had good luck with Oxpho-Blue...

p_082124004_1.jpg

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/metal-bluing/paste-cold-bluing-chemicals/oxpho-blue-creme-gun-blue-4oz-sku082124004-1108-3955.aspx

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
If it's a NIB or you just like looking at it get we reparked. My guns I scratch at least a couple times a year so it's whatever as they are shooters.

U can also get a cool paint job instead. Where is that Ameriflage M10 from July 4th?

LawBob

Personally I would send it to Sam and get it reparkerized. Even if the color of the Duracoat matched exactly, the Duracoat finish would be a different texture. Three shooting positions down the line might not notice, but ever time you hold the gun I'd be willing to bet that you would. Good luck with the repair.

Scott

Repark. It will look brand new. If there are deeper scratched he can need lightly blast it for uniformity.

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter
The dealer I purchased it from included delivery in the price. I contacted him when it arrived and he agreed to cover the cost of refinishing the lower and replacing the selector so I can't complain about that. I've heard nothing but good about Sam's refinish work, but what is holding me back is that he blasts with 80 and finishes with a charcoal type finish. Personally I like a smother finish and more of a gray green like the original. Just a personal aesthetic preference.

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter

Scott

very true, if I do poor work or damage something of mine it bugs me every time I use it. i think it would actually bother me less leaving it the way i got it than looking at my own poor repair.

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter
Yep, I'd put at least 500-1k rounds through it then send it off to Sam for a repark. That way you'll know if there is anything else you'd like him to tweak or take a look at while he has it.

good point, mag is too tight, don't even know if it shoots yet. being an unfired gun it will almost surely need some tweaking and it makes a lot more sense to do that first

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter
As dumb as it sounds, try and rub some oil into it. You’d be surprised sometimes what will hide when you rehydrate the porous finish with some oil. Sometimes those superficial scratches almost disappear after some use when the dirt and grime of use gets rubbed into them. But then again this is coming from a guy that views them as tool…. Just expensive ones :)

Also…… when you replace the selector it will hide most of it… after all who ever uses semi anyhow.

true, I was just reluctant to season it with oil if i was then going to try and paint over it

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter

I've had good luck with that also but I'm afraid it will make the scratch's stand out worse by making them black/blue. It is pretty good stuff though. Cold blue has a bit of a stigma but I've found that it wears fine if applied correctly. I've used it for touch up as well as whole blue jobs.

smec_289

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for all the tips and advice. All things considered I think the best thing that can be done with this lower is to put a Tenko upper on it and I'm still holding out for that! Won't even be concerned about some scratches if I've got that. Got to put in a plug for A&S (for which I have not affiliation) because that is the reason I bought this. Keep up the good fight!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter