Ammo shortage 2020?

jericho94

just curious how everyones local areas are looking ammo wise. here locally everywhere is pretty dry or if they do have anything its 3 times the price.. 7x62-39 is still out there and is not to crazy priced yet, but 223,556,9mm,40. 22. or any ohter hand gun cailbers is impossble to find and crazy priced. :ak but on a brighter note we all made it thru thanksgiving! Lol

Uncle Billy

welcome :)

I wouldn't know what my area ammo situation is, as I haven't been "shopping" or looking, I have a nice stock pile in my basement so there is no need for me to look for any more ammo :). although I have a pretty good idea it's probably scarce and expensive or there is none to be had.
FGsIRKg.gif

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
What is this ammo shortage you speak of?

Went blasting on Fri was no shortage so plentiful I saw a guy give away 2 boxes of handgun ammo at the shoot.
Even after a few k rounds down range we all brought ammo back home to to time constraints.

You looking in the right places?

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
just curious how everyones local areas are looking ammo wise. here locally everywhere is pretty dry or if they do have anything its 3 times the price.. 7x62-39 is still out there and is not to crazy priced yet, but 223,556,9mm,40. 22. or any ohter hand gun cailbers is impossble to find and crazy priced. :ak but on a brighter note we all made it thru thanksgiving! Lol

I'm in Houston and believe it or not, with ~4 million people there are only about 10-15 large retailers that are our source for ammo, locally. Academy, Cabelas and that's about it. It is well known that the scummy ammo resellers are lined up every day before the store opens to clean out whatever they get. limits of 3 boxes most calibers.

You can tell what Academy received that morning by the postings on the local guntrader / armslists. It's terrible. And watching these guys post a $12 box of WWB 9mm for $30 just makes me angry.

All of the national retailers are out of stock and of the 5-6 I selected 'notify me when in stock', I have not received any such notifications since May. So yes it is real, it's not getting any better. Probably not a bad idea to buy the crappy steel cased 9mm and 7.62x39 when you can find it and yeah, have guns in that caliber. And always save your brass.

slimshady

Locally, unless it is a $50 box of 7mm magnum hunting ammo or a "rare" caliber, there is none on the shelf and the 20 boxes of 9mm and .223 stashed behind the counter of the LGS is only sold to those who buy a firearm there, limit 1 box. A few boxes of birdshot are still out at WalMart though!

While I (and hopefully most other "gun people" who have been paying attention) was already well-stocked before the panic buying hit, there are millions of new first time gun owners out there sucking up a lot of the ammo available. Since they don't know Wolf steel case .223 should be around 20 cents a round, they are happy to pay a buck a shot for it because they think that is the "normal price". Until that issue goes away I suspect the shortage should last a while longer. Maybe a couple years or more.

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Here there is only 300 black out, 10mm and .32. And lotsa .17hmr. And i dont own any of those calibers! Oh and 44 mag. There are no primers in stock anywhere. Sometimes shotgun primers (i dont load shotgun). Rare for pistol projectiles, semi rare for rifle. Powder is in decent supply.
When anything like 9mm hits the shelfs it is reasonably priced and sells out fast.

slimshady

A co-worker bought a Taurus G3c last week and has been looking for ammo ever since. He got extremely lucky today, at lunch he visited a new full-line "outdoor sports" store and found FMJ 9mm! @ 80 cents a round. They were selling out fast.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Remember the good ole days?

My 2019 Black Friday haul.
B376-E3-A7-1695-4-A80-BE19-8-B672-D0-F354-E.jpg

My 2020 Friday haul

Nothing.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Same here kickStand

last BF 2019 bought a octane 45 HD for 500 after stamp & two 100.00 UZI parts kit @ numrich

this 2020 spent ZERO, went shooting Same with cyber Monday spend ZERO
Numrich didn't even have a sale this year.

2020 BF was spent shooting stuff not buying stuff, CM was just a quick look at the Emails nothing that was on sale was any better then a normal sale.
I'm not talking gun stuff either just general gift stuff was regular same sales as always.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm in Houston and believe it or not, with ~4 million people there are only about 10-15 large retailers that are our source for ammo, locally. Academy, Cabelas and that's about it. It is well known that the scummy ammo resellers are lined up every day before the store opens to clean out whatever they get. limits of 3 boxes most calibers.

You can tell what Academy received that morning by the postings on the local guntrader / armslists. It's terrible. And watching these guys post a $12 box of WWB 9mm for $30 just makes me angry.

All of the national retailers are out of stock and of the 5-6 I selected 'notify me when in stock', I have not received any such notifications since May. So yes it is real, it's not getting any better. Probably not a bad idea to buy the crappy steel cased 9mm and 7.62x39 when you can find it and yeah, have guns in that caliber. And always save your brass.

same in Austin, same I see online too.

b_saan

Obviously Academy is underpricing their product and leaving profit on the table for others to take advantage of. Would you feel any better if it were Academy selling it for $30/box? I mean people are buying it at that price so it's not out of line for the current market, the pertinent question is how much profit is ok and who is allowed to make it that would make you feel better? Yes, I agree, it sucks that demand is far outstripping supply but the current pricing is how a free market works. If the prices were out of line then supply would catch up and pass demand as less people bought and these resellers would get stuck with a lot of unsellable product but that's not happening.

To avoid any of these issues, I've just been putting any stock I get in up with no reserve/.01 auctions, I have yet to get burned with any final prices under market value and a few have sold well above what I expected even in this market and so far not a single NPB.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I would feel better if losers who stand in line every morning and don't actually shoot would stop driving prices up for those who would if they didn't have to pay 60 cents a round for 9mm. These scum literally add NOTHING to the process and are just pirates and blood-sucking ticks.

It doesn't impact me as last I checked I had over 25K rounds of 9mm I have bought since the Obama shortage, but since I retired in March I HAVE stood in line and bought my allotment just to get some for my friends who have jobs and can't play that stupid game.

I fail to understand what's wrong with eliminating the resellers so that folks like my friends could stop by on a Wednesday afternoon and buy their allotment at 'normal' prices.

jericho94

Sounds like were all in the same boat.. luckly i started buying up some back last year, alittle each week. So got alittle bit stacked up.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
I have 4 thousand rounds for an AK-74 and I don't own anymore so that should tell you how much I have for my other guns.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Ive just been informed that our local Academy Sport stores are now opening at 8:00 and folks are lining up for ammo at 6:00.

It's getting worse I'm afraid.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Times are hard now for some guys.
I do not begrudge anybody who is scrapping to make a buck.
I’d rather the little guy have it than the store.
Capitalism.

If you are a serious shooter, you ordered ammo by the
pallet when prices were low & prob let others shoot your
ammo at the range. If a friend is short some ammo, just give em
some or sell to them at your cost... what goes around comes around...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter