Ammo shortage 2020?

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
If you are a serious shooter, you ordered ammo by the
pallet when prices were low & prob let others shoot your
ammo at the range. If a friend is short some ammo, just give em
some or sell to them at your cost... what goes around comes around...

I've been doing that since March....but I can't do it forever. I have three friends that were pretty oblivious to what has been happening over the past decade and I can't supply them forever.

As for 'the little guy', every damn grocery store around here is hiring at $15/hr. If they need a real job they are readily available. They'd make more in a day than the make in a week with this stupid ammo reselling. This morning the local forum used by these vultures to advertise is down....and I hope it stays down.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Times are hard now for some guys.
I do not begrudge anybody who is scrapping to make a buck.
I’d rather the little guy have it than the store.
Capitalism.

If you are a serious shooter, you ordered ammo by the
pallet when prices were low & prob let others shoot your
ammo at the range. If a friend is short some ammo, just give em
some or sell to them at your cost... what goes around comes around...

Well said.

I consider myself a serious shooter and the struggle is real, especially when you make well under $20 an hour.
I’m struggling with finding primers and if I find them, I can’t afford them. I’ve basically came to the realization the next two (PLUS) years is going to be really hard.
I tried my best over the past few years to stock up but with my budget, range time and generosity with ammo, some things were simply not possible. I thought I had four more years to stock up and we know how that’s turning out.

I’ve known primers are generally the first to go and last to come back but failed in that regard. I’ve got enough powder and projectiles and was planning on casting, so the later wasn’t a big deal. I’m kicking myself but life gets in the way and there’s always unforeseen things.

My coworker bought his son a 10/22 for Christmas (His first gun which I recommended). Looking back, a bolt action would be better because of the STRUGGLE. Naturally, he couldn’t find ammo for it. I told him that I found something on the side of the road for him. I gave him Two 500 round boxes of 22lr. He looked like a kid in a candy shop, especially when I told him they were free. I was going to give him just one box for his kid but I remember how much I shot when I was a kid. Hopefully, it’ll last awhile with the 10 round mag.

On the bright side, I’ve got enough 22 to last me a few years.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Times are hard now for some guys.
I do not begrudge anybody who is scrapping to make a buck.
I’d rather the little guy have it than the store.
Capitalism.

This sounds good until you think it through.

We all get paid because of the service we provide.

These scum don't actually provide a service. It's as if they intercept our mail by beating us to the mailbox, then extract a fee for delivering our mail.

You want to buy a whole chicken at Kroger? These guys show up at 6:00 am and buy all the chickens. Want one? Pay them 2X the cost Kroger charges.

What is the service they provide? What does their labor add?

They are like an unorganized mafia and I despise them. If you think it through, so will you.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
This sounds good until you think it through.

We all get paid because of the service we provide.

These scum don't actually provide a service. It's as if they intercept our mail by beating us to the mailbox, then extract a fee for delivering our mail.

You want to buy a whole chicken at Kroger? These guys show up at 6:00 am and buy all the chickens. Want one? Pay them 2X the cost Kroger charges.

What is the service they provide? What does their labor add?

They are like an unorganized mafia and I despise them. If you think it through, so will you.

The service they are providing is price arbitrage for the mispriced ammo the store is selling.
They are making more ammo available to those willing to pay the market rate (without waiting in line).
Same service scalpers provide...
Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Just went to LGS and he has .45 acp for 75c a shot. Limit 2 per customer. Insanity

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Our local Academy on Tuesday had probably 200 boxes of Winchester MX193, 20 round boxes. After taxes that's 55 cents per round and the new rules are three boxes total of any type of ammo. They literally had one box of .45 acp that Customer #1 got and nothing else.

In any event, 55 cents per round for 55gr 5.56 is more than the price Academy usually sells this type for - and more than any of us was willing to pay. Not one of the 20 or so folks bought any.

I'm not sure what this does to the theory that the vultures are providing a service since the sole supplier seems to have followed their lead and jacked up the prices. Maybe this might take all the incentive away from the vultures but the biggest loser is now the average guy will pay almost double what he did a year ago and that is a shame.

I do think the Academy management has done their best to control this, from establishing limits to organizing the lines at opening. I don't blame them at all. They aren't the problem.

Last edited:

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
The only thing I bought in the past year was 250 rounds of 00 buckshot because it was still reasonable and I just got a great deal on a bullpup semi 12ga. I have all the ammo I need
for quite some time.

slimshady

Just went to LGS and he has .45 acp for 75c a shot. Limit 2 per customer. Insanity

It sure is, if I wanna buy more than 2 cartridges I should be able to!

Last time a LGS had 9mm FMJ I think it was going for around that or a maybe 80 cents. They were selling out quick! That was a few weeks ago...

Gotta get on building my new loading bench!

wanneroo

UZI Talk Supporter
Well, look, how often did we talk on the forums here and elsewhere back in 2017-2019 when they were practically giving the ammo away at cost to stock up and set yourself up for the future?

I have empathy for new gun buyers but old timers and those that have been around for a while, if you didn't buy cheap and stack it deep, then so sad too bad.

I learned my lesson in 2013 and learned how to reload and over the past couple years of years have bought plenty of components cheap in bulk and also bought tons of factory ammo when I could get it cheap for a deal. I was buying S&B primers at Cabelas for $16 with a 20% off gift card and taking advantage of rebates and other deals.

If you got burned this time, you'll learn for the next time.

I'm hearing it's so bad that people are buying single action cowboy guns because that's all they can get on any given day.

Ultimately demand will be satisfied but I expect baring no other surprises or push for gun control, it will be another two years to return to normalcy.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I have empathy for new gun buyers but old timers and those that have been around for a while, if you didn't buy cheap and stack it deep, then so sad too bad.

If you got burned this time, you'll learn for the next time.

I have 3 friends that are relatively new to this; one who has been active for about 3-4 years after I helped him get started. I've told him a million times to buy what you think you want NOW if you can afford it. He pretty much has and is in decent shape.

The other two are have only become serious about this in the last 8-12 months. I see this through their eyes. The give me blank stares when I try to explain the 1994 'Crime Bill' and 2009-11 when Fear of Obama spread across the land like a pestilence.

They are shocked that something they want to buy is unobtainable in the stores or internet. I didn't have much time to warn them and so here we are.

I am late to the reloading game, having given that up in the 1990's when kids and keeping a job were priority. But I'm managed to gather all I need to reload 9mm. 5.56, .38, .357, .308, .30-06. Prices aren't good on any components NOW but I have enough to reuse all my factory brass and substantial fired brass from here on out. And I just started acquiring in early October (still waiting on some Dillon dies). But it's doable.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Jan 1st 2021 might as well start a new thread-

Ammo shortage 2021?

It’ll be pages deep towards November ‘21.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I read the piece and it sounds about in line with my experience except for the fact that none of my local WalMarts have ANY ammo. None, Not even a lonely box of shotgun shells.
We know they quit stocking any normal pistol or AR ammo about a year ago but until the last couple of months I know they where stocking hunting rounds and .22LR. Last time I was in and they still had some 12 gauge I asked one of the employees if they had stopped selling the .22LR and hunting rounds and she said 'no, we just never get any in'. Maybe, but what WalMart wants, WalMart gets and it appears they want out of the gun and ammo business completely.

Our local ammo suppliers have gone to a 1 or 2 box limit to reduce the gouger's impact. I drove by an Academy last week at 9:00 when they opened and there was at least 75 people in line.

slimshady

My Boss stopped by WalMart last Saturday, to his surprise the clerk was pulling ammo out of boxes and stacking it on the empty shelves! Department was empty of people. He has been looking for some .410 and they actually had some, talking to the clerk he stated there was no way to know what was in the unopened boxes as they put the ammo in their shipping boxes/totes at random. After staying for a few minutes and grabbing some CCI minimags, he decided to continue shopping and circle back when the ammo was all out on display. Maybe 15 minutes later he comes back and there is now at least 20 people standing in line with as much ammo as they can hold, the shelves were empty again except for a few boxes of .22. Clerk said the longest he's had a new shipment before the "feeding frenzy" ends is about 3 hours... Fortunately WallyWorld hasn't raised prices much, when they have it you are pretty much paying pre-panic prices.

They are getting ammo in, it's just selling out quick. Likely someone there is calling a friend or relative with a heads up before it even reaches the floor, and they are waiting when it does. And of course they all call someone, my Boss gave the heads up to a co-worker who managed to snag the last of the CCI minimags.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
My Boss stopped by WalMart last Saturday, to his surprise the clerk was pulling ammo out of boxes and stacking it on the empty shelves! Department was empty of people. He has been looking for some .410 and they actually had some, talking to the clerk he stated there was no way to know what was in the unopened boxes as they put the ammo in their shipping boxes/totes at random. After staying for a few minutes and grabbing some CCI minimags, he decided to continue shopping and circle back when the ammo was all out on display. Maybe 15 minutes later he comes back and there is now at least 20 people standing in line with as much ammo as they can hold, the shelves were empty again except for a few boxes of .22. Clerk said the longest he's had a new shipment before the "feeding frenzy" ends is about 3 hours... Fortunately WallyWorld hasn't raised prices much, when they have it you are pretty much paying pre-panic prices.

They are getting ammo in, it's just selling out quick. Likely someone there is calling a friend or relative with a heads up before it even reaches the floor, and they are waiting when it does. And of course they all call someone, my Boss gave the heads up to a co-worker who managed to snag the last of the CCI minimags.

Early in this ammo shortage I walked into an Academy and everybody was swarming around the 9mm / 5.56 shelves. They all walked by the 30+ 100 rd cases of Minimags like they were dog turds so I bought them all.

Sigh.

Academy is also raising their prices compared to 6 months ago. It's not terrible but noticeable.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
speaking of Academy; even though they've instituted max purchases and etc, there's lines forming 2 and 3 hours prior to store openings just to see if you can get lucky enough for ammo. I know of a friend of a friend (reliable source, have seen pics too) that has been in line personally 2.5 hours prior to opening only to get to the ammo aisle and it already be cleaned out. on multiple occasions.
crazy.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
speaking of Academy; even though they've instituted max purchases and etc, there's lines forming 2 and 3 hours prior to store openings just to see if you can get lucky enough for ammo. I know of a friend of a friend (reliable source, have seen pics too) that has been in line personally 2.5 hours prior to opening only to get to the ammo aisle and it already be cleaned out. on multiple occasions.
crazy.

Truth. I've seen it and have been told the same.

I quit playing that game 2 months ago when you could get there 45 minutes early and buy 3 boxes or each caliber. Usually bring a newbie friend who until then didn't understand this is the new world.

Now I spend quality time with my Dillon 750 making coated 9mm rounds. Unfortunately I have to scrounge for primers and powder now...

wanneroo

UZI Talk Supporter
I browsed some local stores in recent times just for fun and pretty much just a few of the more oddball cartridges available and that's it. Very little powder, no primers and almost no bullets.

The old timers on the forums back in 2016-2019 said prices were cheap, buy what you can and stack it deep. I listened. Bought plenty of factory ammo dirt cheap, powder, primers, bullets, all in bulk. I've got enough to keep me loaded for a long time. I wouldn't mind a few bits and pieces like some 32 ACP or more powder but pretty much I'm set for now. Let everyone else stand in line.

I'd focus more on buying the guns you want as I expect biden and his gang to make a run at banning whatever they can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter