Advice on Uzi Pistol SBR

HighriseATX

UZI Talk Life Member
I have an ugly buy functional Uzi Pistol SBR that I don't plan to keep.

I'm wondering if it would be worth spending some $$ to make the gun nice: shrink and move the engraving, remark the upper as Micro Uzi and change the FS markings to ARS and refinish the whole gun. It is just a semi SBR, but would then look like a MicroUzi.

Any guesses on the value as is and value as improved?

SBR Q to UT.jpeg

Vulcan762

I would leave it as is. A collector is going to know it was modified which may give them pause. About all I would do is send it off to someplace like Sowastrong for a media blast and cerakote Graphite Black. It will look better than new.

Uncle Billy

too late now, but if I was going to engrave my SBR I would have done it in a out of way place, like the bottom of it

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing I'd do with that gun is get the ugly UZI Pistol grips off of it and put Micro UZI grip panels on it. They are the same grip panels as on the full size UZI. Will look 100% better.

HighriseATX

UZI Talk Life Member
This SBR came with a registered bolt, I did not do the engraving. I've done my engraving on the bottoms. My thought was to reengrave on the bottom and clean up/refinish the upper. Yep, I'll put the Uzi grips on it.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Ill probably get flamed but Ill give my opinion.
The gun as it sits is 2ea. $200.00 transfers and a LONG wait for an out of state buyer.
E-form 1 from scratch is 30+/- days and one transfer.
The gun now is worth about 14-$1500.00 + the price of the stock. So maybe 1750.00. Maybe a bit more if its a micro stock and not a converted mini. The problem is (from the one photo) is the the welding of the back plate. It's wavy, the lines aren't straight and need correcting. Many gunsmiths charge more to fix bad work than doing it right the first time.

If you are, or know a good welder and engraver, in my opinion, its worth the $, say $600.00-1k to have it all fixed and marked properly. It will save the buyer from having to deal with it and make it MUCH more desirable form a hassle and wait perspective. 3K plus if the work is correct.

I hope this helps, and yes, I have a micro and just went thru something similar with it.

Bill

Last edited:

shiklg

new member here. does anyone know much about Reffitt firearms?

I used to live in central Ohio and knew a guy with that last name who was a gun enthusiast, not sure if it is the same gentleman.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I could be way off base, but it is my understanding that you cannot change the markings on the gun once it is in the registry. So changing the Uzi Pistol to Micro Uzi would not be allowed. Not knowing how many of these SBRs the dealer made I have no way of knowing if BATF has any idea where he engraved his information. So moving the SBR markings might not be a problem. I like to stay out of grey areas, so I would not remark this Uzi. I am not paranoid but I do think the ATF is out to get me so I err on the side of caution.

Cleaning up the welds and remarking the pistol would probably cost as or more than the increased value. I say if it shoots enjoy it as it is.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
You can remove the stock and sell it as a pistol in non nfa configuration. Don’t even need to remove the engraving. Then the next buyer can e file it and re engrave their markings as they please and remove old ones if they wish. Might be a quicker sale that way since e-filing is so much faster than an existing stamp.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Keep in mind, a SBR isn’t treated like a machine gun. Once a machine gun, always a machine gun. A SBR stamp is purely permission for you to possess that firearm in an SBR configuration. That’s explanation is what made everything clear to me anyhow. You don’t even need to remove it from the registry for the next guy to put his stamp on it. Hence why the stamp for an SBR is merely a permission slip assigned to a serial number for the individual or entity on the stamp.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
new member here. does anyone know much about Reffitt firearms?

I used to live in central Ohio and knew a guy with that last name who was a gun enthusiast, not sure if it is the same gentleman.

Welcome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter