Will surplus bolt work in my IMI Coverted Uzi? Wood Stock?

mhkaihei

Hello,
Will a surplus GI spec Uzi bolt work in my UZI?
I have a very early imported ( I believe) UZI with a 5 digit SA serial number. It has been legally converted to full auto.
The bolt I have looks like a standard full auto bolt. However, the weapon still has a semi-auto barrel ring in place.
If I knew how to post photos I would but...
Did very early Action Arms Uzi's take standard full auto bolts?

Also, how can I tell if my Uzi will accept quick detach wood stocks?
My Uzi has a small circular area to the upper left of the rear of the receiver. What is this for?

Thanks!

Attachments

• uzi bolt 3.jpg
    uzi bolt 3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 193
  • uzi rear.jpg
    uzi rear.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
No the surplus bolt will not fit unless the underside is cut for the restrictor ring clearance. Take your folder off and install the quick detach it should go on no problem. I would buy Daves Uzi book as well its a great source of information and use the Uzi library as well

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
If I knew how to post photos I would but...
Did very early Action Arms Uzi's take standard full auto bolts?

Also, how can I tell if my Uzi will accept quick detach wood stocks?
My Uzi has a small circular area to the upper left of the rear of the receiver. What is this for?

Posting photos is easy. Instructions are here.

As arch said, you need to remove material from the inside of the bolt before it will fit over the barrel restrictor ring. many people remove the restrictor ring to avoid that problem.

When you remove the folder, there's a nut on the inside of the receiver that should be removed before clicking on the wood stock.

Not sure what the "circular area" is. Post a picture.

Ratso

where can I find a picture of a modified FA bolt that works with the restrictor ring. Is it easier to remove the "ring" than modify the FA bolt? Plus what would be the best way to remove the "ring" ?

Longez77

UZI Talk Supporter
"picture of a modified FA bolt that works with the restrictor ring" would be very difficult to see the difference. It is not much you need to remove but it is difficult to even measure. Plus the bolt is VERY Hard.

slimshady

Easiest to remove the ring. Best way would be to drop a block in the receiver to prevent crushing and stick it in a mill. WECSOG way is use a Dremel cutoff wheel.

mhkaihei

Did all semi-auto IMI bolts have the blocking bar groove cut in them? If so, where did the non-block bar cut bolts come from that are found in converted full auto UZIs with barrel restrictor rings? Thanks.

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
Did all semi-auto IMI bolts have the blocking bar groove cut in them? If so, where did the non-block bar cut bolts come from that are found in converted full auto UZIs with barrel restrictor rings? Thanks.

Yes and they were cut to relieve the restrictor ring to answer your first question and non-slotted bolts came from smg parts kits or they will be new manufactured bolts

Spend the money and grab a book lots of information to be given and its a great way to support the website

mhkaihei

Thank you. I will purchase a book.
Would anyone know if the bolt pictured above is a spec full auto bolt? If so, it came with my recently purchased IMI uzi , that has an SA serial number, and works in it, though I do get jams. Thanks.

slimshady

The circle on your backplate is a socket to receive the end of the recoil spring guide rod. Post a pic of the front end of your bolt, the distance between the bbl clearance cut and the recoil rod hole is noticeably narrower on one cut to fit a restrictor ring.

rentprop1

"picture of a modified FA bolt that works with the restrictor ring" would be very difficult to see the difference. It is not much you need to remove but it is difficult to even measure. Plus the bolt is VERY Hard.

Is it the OD of the restrictor ring that interferes with the bolt? ...trying to understand

slimshady

Is it the OD of the restrictor ring that interferes with the bolt? ...trying to understand

Yes, the UZI bolt "telescopes" over the bbl, allowing the overall length of the gun to be shorter since some of the bolt weight is up front and the breechface is more or less in the middle. The restrictor ring both prevents an SMG bbl from installing due to the ID being smaller than the chamber end of the bbl, and the OD is larger than the bbl by enough that the clearance cut in an unmodifed bolt is not sufficiently big enough to clear the ring.

OPinOKC

UZI Talk Life Member
The Full Auto Conversions page in the Library describes the bolts made by Group which work in conversions where the barrel ring is not removed. I remember reading somewhere (evidently not there) that these bolts are marked with a "P"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter