Velocity VMAC 9 review

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
I feel the mag release is not helping things.
I agree, that is the biggest issue I have with Velocity. I don’t understand why they refuse to make magwells with tabs for the standard mag release. Their M10 weld kits are the same way, the magwells are useless trash because they are only set up for the VMAC proprietary crappy mag catch.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve worked the mag release and developed a technique to mag changes so it’s become a lot easier.

I’m not near a computer at the moment and doing this stuff on mobile isn’t my strong point, but check out a picture of an original Cobray release and then look at the MPA 930 release. They tried to keep the factory look but the Sten type magazine release catches much higher on the magazine. The Sten type release also has it’s spring way high near where the catch engages the magazine.

If VMAC deviated from the original look just a hair and gave us a mag release that stuck out from the bottom of the grip it would solve the leverage problem in using their release.

I have looked at it more and overall I still am satisfied with what it is and recommend buying one when/if they come back in stock. Maybe I’m coping or making excuses but the crappy welds add to the late 80s/early 90s oddball gun vibe. I had an Encom MP9 that looked like it was assembled with a stick welder. The welds were likely to outlive the internals but man they did not look good by anyone’s standard.

I will be taking those measurements later this evening.
Those encom guns were made by CMP. “CMP” was “component metal products” out of Atlanta, GA. They fabricated a large amount of the stamped sheet metal parts used by RPB and SWD, so those encom welds look familiar because they are familiar! You’ve seen those same welds on many of the Cobray marked “OEM” accessories.

litfire145

Those encom guns were made by CMP. “CMP” was “component metal products” out of Atlanta, GA. They fabricated a large amount of the stamped sheet metal parts used by RPB and SWD, so those encom welds look familiar because they are familiar! You’ve seen those same welds on many of the Cobray marked “OEM” accessories.

Thats kinda interesting. Didn’t know that.

Shot another box of ammo through it. God, these suck to shoot semi auto. But it did it reliably and accurately. The mag catch is less of an issue now that I modified the grip. I dehorned the gun yesterday since the cocking knob and trigger guard are almost sharpened from the factory.

It sounds like I dislike this gun but truthfully it does exactly what I expected it to. It works, it looks cool, the parkerizing is clean. And I had Sten magazines laying around. I couldn’t just sell those, I had to find something that could make use of them lol.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member

Shot another box of ammo through it. God, these suck to shoot semi auto. But it did it reliably and accurately. The mag catch is less of an issue now that I modified the grip. I dehorned the gun yesterday since the cocking knob and trigger guard are almost sharpened from the factory.

It sounds like I dislike this gun but truthfully it does exactly what I expected it to. It works, it looks cool, the parkerizing is clean. And I had Sten magazines laying around. I couldn’t just sell those, I had to find something that could make use of them lol.
What kind of sear block situation do those VMACs have in the frame? Just curious. There is a video of an SOT on YouTube who has a post sample VMAC that has been rebuilt with SWD SMG parts (so it must be compatible despite the spec)

Last edited:

litfire145

What kind of sear block situation do those VMACs have in the frame? Just curious. There is a video of an SOT on YouTube who has a post sample VMAC that has been rebuilt with SWD SMG parts (so it must be compatible despite the spec)

Not near it currently but from my pic, it looks like a block of steel welded into place. Assuming the sear block is directly in front of the sear and blocking off where the full/semi selector would be.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
My old RBP SMG I get-
1.156” outside height of upper
1.145” outside width of upper
0.069” takedown hole bottom from bottom of trunnion
.-082
0.1565” outside edges of the takedown hole to outside edges of trunnion (equal length both sides)
1.016” width of trunnion
.635” length of trunnion
1.688” bottom of trunnion to top of receiver
1.33” lower receiver outside width
.156” hammer pin

.178” trigger pin
.185 trigger pin

Landric

I have a bunch of STEN mags lying around too. I almost bought one of these guns when they were in stock just because I have the mags. I sold my STEN last year to help fund a BRP-Stemple Suomi. I'd be really happy if the NFA branch would approve the transfer. Anyway, I didn't buy one of the guns so now I will have to find something else to do with my pile of mags. Maybe that is an excuse to find a M11/9 with a STEN magwell conversion.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Not near it currently but from my pic, it looks like a block of steel welded into place. Assuming the sear block is directly in front of the sear and blocking off where the full/semi selector would be.
I looked back at the pics and I see it’s partially visible in one of the photos. It looks to be the same shape/type as the Cobray but it looks like it’s a thicker chunk of steel than the Cobray and not as easy to remove with a spot weld breaking bit, but I guess that’s the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

pjm204

I feel like this would be a better deal if you're okay with the form factor being changed a bit.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
I feel like this would be a better deal if you're okay with the form factor being changed a bit.

gonna assume OP knows this exists and the changed form factor is not ok and that is why he waited around to get a VMAC. At least that’s how it is for me. That newer style MPA pistol doesn’t even belong in the “MAC” category IMO.

litfire145

I appreciate you looking out, but as MitchWerbellsGhost said, I also don’t really consider that a MAC. It’s too refined and far too ergonomic.

pjm204

gonna assume OP knows this exists and the changed form factor is not ok and that is why he waited around to get a VMAC. At least that’s how it is for me. That newer style MPA pistol doesn’t even belong in the “MAC” category IMO.
Agreed, my comment wasn't really for the OP since he already purchased the VMAC but moreso just in case someone reads this post and is okay with the changed form factor of the new MPA guns. It's a shame MPA doesn't make the 930 anymore, still one of my favorite guns.

Bret

Nice review. Sounds like it has the aesthetics of the 90s Cobray guns but works a bit more reliably. These vmacs make a nice post sample SMG.
Unfortunately, the rear of the receiver doesn't allow for the addition of a stock.

Bret

Agreed, my comment wasn't really for the OP since he already purchased the VMAC but moreso just in case someone reads this post and is okay with the changed form factor of the new MPA guns. It's a shame MPA doesn't make the 930 anymore, still one of my favorite guns.
I have a stock M11/Nine and an MPA Defender. Full auto versus semi auto aside, the MPA Defender is top quality. It's well made and is incredibly accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Of course, if you're looking for that old school '80's look, it doesn't have that.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Unfortunately, the rear of the receiver doesn't allow for the addition of a stock.
It just has to be opened up for the legs it’s very easy to do. Just draw a straight line across the sight plate a little less than a half inch up from the bottom and start scoring it with a cutting disc, when the rear plate is almost all the way cut (it’s about 1/8” thick), bend it till it snaps off. Viola, you now have a factory style MAC SMG rear plate complete with holes for stock legs. Next step is installing a stock block and hardware, available from all the usual distributors online. You could have that gun set up for an OEM style stock in less than a half hour.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
The semi M11/9s can't have a stock block installed. It would interfere with the FCG. MPA or Lage stocks could be used with a drill and tap.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
The semi M11/9s can't have a stock block installed. It would interfere with the FCG. MPA or Lage stocks could be used with a drill and tap.
Yes obviously this is the case. He was responding to my post saying that the VMAC frame makes a decent post sample smg. He replied by saying that a stock couldn’t be installed. If the gun is being converted to an SMG then the stock hardware is not an issue because the closed bolt internals are removed. I think what he meant was that the rear end of the gun is not opened up for the stock legs, which is a very simple fix.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter