Velocity VMAC 9 review

litfire145

So, here it is. I had been on the backorder list for a long time and these finally were available earlier this week. At $439 plus shipping and transfer it seemed like a no brainer.

These ship in a massive cardboard box padded with bubblewrap, not something you’d use for storage or want to keep. I’m talking a 12”x12”x8” unmarked cardboard box. The firearm was wrapped in a plastic bag. The first thing I noticed was the welds on it are huuuuuge and some are even porous. *I* don’t care too much but some people might. Even LEINADs don’t have welds like mine. I immediately shot some oil into the action and fired a few Sten mags through it. It functioned absolutely flawlessly on assorted 9mm I had floating around the bottom of an ammo can. Brass, steel, and aluminum round ball. It choked on one 147gr flat nose I had missed while sorting the ammo out.

Accuracy was acceptable for what it is, but here is the worst part about the firearm I have noticed: the magazine release is nearly impossible to operate. It is made out of some injection molded polymer and is as sharp as can be. In fact every edge on this gun is sharp. But magazines almost jam into the gun including the MPA polymer magazine they include. I found the easiest way to release a magazine was to flip the gun upside down, use one hand to push in the button and your other hand to pull the mag. The magazine release is held captive by the grip with a pin, there are no tabs on the grip frame to pin the release to. This makes all aftermarket magazine releases that allow you to get some leverage or more surface area on your thumb not able to be used easily. You’ll have to either weld tabs onto your grip frame or modify your grip/new release to get something else installed. Personally, I will pin and epoxy something onto the end of the release to give myself a larger release for leverage, or maybe try tuning the magazine release spring some.

Everything else is pretty standard it seems. It has absolutely zero trigger slap. I think for sub $500 it’s worth looking into if you can live with hard magazine changes and butt ugly welds. Old MPA930s and Cobray Mac 11/Nines are every bit of $1k so this does fill a void in a collection. Again, no failures of any kind with all types of ball ammo and it fed from multiple different untested Sten magazines perfectly. Now, for pictures. I have micrometers on hand and can take measurements of anything if requested. Velocity sells every small part on their site for a reasonable price and also offer a 1 year warranty on their guns.

Attachments

• IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3483.jpeg
    IMG_3483.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3481.jpeg
    IMG_3481.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3484.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3485.jpeg
    IMG_3485.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3475.jpeg
    IMG_3475.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3477.jpeg
    IMG_3477.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3476.jpeg
    IMG_3476.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

pjm204

I don't remember the welds looking so rough, must be a new person welding them. I get the sense that it might be a one man show there since they seem to only put out a couple dozen or so of these per year.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
thanks
Even though I'm not buying one your write up made for interesting reading.

I see a roll pin in the mag catch that should come out to at least put a lighter spring in and round off the sharp corners. Also it's probably bound up being plastic on plastic. In other words either the slot is fo small or fhe catch to large.
Might be able to clean it up with a jewlers file or make a new catch out of aluminum or steel.

Welds can be fixed if so are inclined also if you have or know someone with a tig welder.

Now for my question

Are those SWD 90's M11/9's really worth a grand?

I have one.

Bought several guns from a friend who needed money in 2010 and not only did he never pay me back for the loan he is now a prohibited person due to mullti DUI's ( failed the NICS check in 2020 )

So It's mine I'm stuck with it now. I paid 300.00
It's NIB never shot has the original plastic case and two zytel mags it came with.
I did thread the barrel 1/2x28 and pick up a bunch of PAM2 mags over the years.
All that is left is to replace the ball detent mag catch with a real one.
Just never got around to it.

Anyways no real interest in it other then ya it looks cool even cooler with the can on it.

litfire145

thanks
Even though I'm not buying one your write up made for interesting reading.

I see a roll pin in the mag catch that should come out to at least put a lighter spring in and round off the sharp corners. Also it's probably bound up being plastic on plastic. In other words either the slot is fo small or fhe catch to large.
Might be able to clean it up with a jewlers file or make a new catch out of aluminum or steel.

Welds can be fixed if so are inclined also if you have or know someone with a tig welder.

Now for my question

Are those SWD 90's M11/9's really worth a grand?

I have one.

Bought several guns from a friend who needed money in 2010 and not only did he never pay me back for the loan he is now a prohibited person due to mullti DUI's ( failed the NICS check in 2020 )

So It's mine I'm stuck with it now. I paid 300.00
It's NIB never shot has the original plastic case and two zytel mags it came with.
I did thread the barrel 1/2x28 and pick up a bunch of PAM2 mags over the years.
All that is left is to replace the ball detent mag catch with a real one.
Just never got around to it.

Anyways no real interest in it other then ya it looks cool even cooler with the can on it.

I just checked gunbroker and I only found one for less than $1k. I don’t think they’re worth $1k+ but for some reason thats where they’re at.

litfire145

I found my solution to the mag release. I disassembled the grip/release and knocked down the serrations on the release and created more of a funnel for my thumb to get more purchase on the release. This combination makes mag changes a night and day difference. I’ll clean it up some more but here is the rough cut to show the work I did. Just a few seconds on a dremel and clean with a file/sandpaper.

Attachments

• IMG_3491.jpeg
    IMG_3491.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 17

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the review.

I have wondered how the SWD, Leinad, MPA uppers dimensions differ from the VMAC?

VMAC really should consider hiring a welder. Ouch.

Last edited:

litfire145

Thanks for the review.

I have wondered how the SWD, Leinad, MPA uppers dimensions differ from the VMAC?

VMAG really should consider hiring a welder. Ouch.
If you’re interested I could take measurements. Yeah the welds are ugly as hell but they seem to hold.

They updated the cocking knob to be more ergonomic. If they used a magazine release similar to an MPA the mags would be much easier to remove. I think it’s almost completely a leverage issue. The spring itself when removed is lightweight and the release isn’t “catching” on anything on the grip or the magwell. The serrations are just so sharp, the button so small, and the way it’s all shaped is just wrong. They went with the original Cobray mag catch look but a sten mag release is significantly longer and the spring is wayyy up at the top. I still think I’ll modify mine in some fashion so it can be leveraged better.

I do have to say I recommend this gun though if you don’t mind the bubblegum welds or the hard to use mag release. It’s a gun for someone who likes to mess around with them or simply wants it for looks. I guess buying it for self defense or target practice, you’d be disappointed, but nobody is buying these for that…I hope.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
If you’re interested I could take measurements. Yeah the welds are ugly as hell but they seem to hold.
That would be nice. I had one of the VMAC9 uppers for a bit but it did not fit the SWD M11/9 lower well. If I remember, the take down pin hole was higher on the trunnion. I really would like to know the differences.

Poacher

So it can use unaltered Sten mags?
I’d be interested if I already had a bunch.

litfire145

So it can use unaltered Sten mags?
I’d be interested if I already had a bunch.

Yes it can. I did nothing to my mags but load them

Strobro, what exactly do you want measured? I have a lot of free time this week to take measurements.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
H X W D of the upper, take down pin location, trunnion depth, basically if the upper dimensions are different than the other companies.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Mag realease is looking good.
Figured it was a easy fix.

If you can warm it up with just thumb friction and a cloth the groove for your thumb will smooth right out then hit the whole plasitc grip with some oil.
It will look close to factory.

The only item I have purchased from VMAC is a carbine barrel with shroud. I was entirely satisfied with the quality of these parts. Parts being the operative word and implying "no assembly work" was involved before I got them. Do you find the various hard parts to be individually of decent quality?

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Nice review. Sounds like it has the aesthetics of the 90s Cobray guns but works a bit more reliably. These vmacs make a nice post sample SMG.

litfire145

The only item I have purchased from VMAC is a carbine barrel with shroud. I was entirely satisfied with the quality of these parts. Parts being the operative word and implying "no assembly work" was involved before I got them. Do you find the various hard parts to be individually of decent quality?

Yes. The internal parts to me look a whole lot better than Cobray parts. The mag release being polymer is strange but they do come with a polymer magazine. I may pick up a second one to just have on hand.

litfire145

I feel the mag release is not helping things.

I’ve worked the mag release and developed a technique to mag changes so it’s become a lot easier.

I’m not near a computer at the moment and doing this stuff on mobile isn’t my strong point, but check out a picture of an original Cobray release and then look at the MPA 930 release. They tried to keep the factory look but the Sten type magazine release catches much higher on the magazine. The Sten type release also has it’s spring way high near where the catch engages the magazine.

If VMAC deviated from the original look just a hair and gave us a mag release that stuck out from the bottom of the grip it would solve the leverage problem in using their release.

I have looked at it more and overall I still am satisfied with what it is and recommend buying one when/if they come back in stock. Maybe I’m coping or making excuses but the crappy welds add to the late 80s/early 90s oddball gun vibe. I had an Encom MP9 that looked like it was assembled with a stick welder. The welds were likely to outlive the internals but man they did not look good by anyone’s standard.

I will be taking those measurements later this evening.

litfire145

Here are my measurements. No idea how in spec these are to anything else. I am not a machinist but I have been known to fire up a mill and lathe on occasion. I’m hoping this all makes more sense to someone in the know.

1.156” outside height of upper

1.145” outside width of upper

0.069” takedown hole bottom from bottom of trunnion

0.1565” outside edges of the takedown hole to outside edges of trunnion (equal length both sides)

1.016” width of trunnion

.635” length of trunnion

1.688” bottom of trunnion to top of receiver

8.815” upper receiver length

1.33” lower receiver outside width

.156” hammer pin

.178” trigger pin

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter