UZI builder

clayman

I'm new to the world of UZI, and I've recently purchased an IMI kit. My next step is finding a receiver. I've seen ads for IMI receivers, and U.S. made Group Industries receivers. I would appreciate any guidance that you may offer.

Thanks

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
clayman, welcome to UZI Talk.

Building a semi kit yourself is not as easy/cost effective as some people think. You can't just buy a receiver and an SMG parts kit and be ready to go. There are two problems. #1, the parts kit is from a full auto gun and you'll need some semi parts to build the gun properly. #2, your parts kit is all imported parts and wouldn't give you the US parts count you need to legally build it. I'm not a kit builder so maybe someone else here can give you specific info but just ask a lot of questions before you proceed.

The IMI receivers are probably a better option for building a kit. At least they will be in spec, which isn't always true with the GI receivers. The receivers marked "N H M C" are IMI manufactured receivers. They were surplus semi receivers that IMI had after the 1989 ban prevented them from importing any more guns to the US. D&D sells the receivers. Vector uses them to build their post-ban semi guns. I'm not sure if Vector sells just the receivers but you sould askl them.

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Dave is right. Be very careful with this project. Building a FA Uzi is very illegal. Building a semi "assault weapon" from imported parts is governed by the 1989 law so there is no significant relief from the domestic parts count requirements even if the '94 ban sunsets. If you intend to make a SA bolt from a full auto bolt, that may count as a US part because you significantly altered it (drill out the pin first!). Ditto changes to the sear. You will still need to get the SA only parts. The lower would require significant mods as well. However, you'd need the ATF to rule on those mods being domestic enough to count.

I personally would avoid a kit unless someone had done all the legwork to get ATF approval lined up.

smoke

FFL
"The lower would require significant mods as well. However, you'd need the ATF to rule on those mods being domestic enough to count."

Could you give us a list of what mods will have to be made to the Lower to make it semi...

Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter