UZI build parties? How about south Florida?

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
It's been quite a while since I've heard of any types of "build parties" actually happening. I remember the AK guys talking about them when the kits were plentiful, and I think I heard of some UZI guys doing it too, though come to think of it, I'm not sure I can recall hearing of any such parties that actually happened.

Anyway, I've recently been looking through things I've accumulated in order to unload a bit and came across a lot of parts I'd been hoarding for a possible build which made me remember talk of build parties.

I have two questions here.

1) Did anyone here ever actually participate in what could be called a "build party" (as in a gathering of two or more enthusiasts at a single location sharing their tools/parts/skills/knowledge in order to build or finish up UZI receiver builds)?

2) Would anyone be interested in any such event in South Florida? I have enough parts to get a good start on several receivers including repair sections, though my only real piece of specialized equipment is a drill press, but I'd be willing to share. If anyone has an welding jig or welding equipment with welding knowledge and wanted to finish a receiver, I might be willing to contribute a few pieces if we could get together.

Whether or not anyone actually likes to participate, I'd sure like to hear everyone's input on this.

nimblebee

Banned

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I'm NOT an Attorney or ATF Employee, but, to my understanding of ATF's PDF posted above, the part that says "Usually for pay or other compensation" MIGHT allow an individual who has a few tools in his/(her) backyard shop, to have a few friends over, and, during the course of the visit, do a couple of builds.
If I were going to do it, I would have no more than 3-4 people at the gathering (all who are mature enough not to ppst it on YouTube or other social media), I'd be sure I was building 1 of the projects for myself, and I would not allow anyone to even bring Hot Dogs, lest ti be interpreted as "other compensation".
Further, it would not be a weekly event! 1, maybe 2, such gatherings per year; I'd even shy away from rotating to each other's houses&shops, again lest ATF prosecute for "other compensation"; i.e., "Work on Machine #1 in exchange for work on Machine #2.
Even using your lathe for one step of the project, then going to someone else's house/shop to use a Drill Press, or having someone bring tools to your place to use on the builds, could be considered "other compensation" by a prosecutor.

Yes, I'm paranoid. I don't want to be prosecuted. I don't want to go to jail or prison. I don't want to lose my rights.
And I damned sure don't have bottomless pockets to fight a Federal Agency that has the power to make its own rules without Congressional, or even Federal Court, review. They could bankrupt Warren Buffett by simply asking a sympathetic Judge for delays, without ever having the case brought to trial

Kramer

Best read up on ATF rulings, do more research on forums and proceed with caution.
Over on Weapons Guild, forums were discussing build parties, loan-out of tools and attendant potential liabilities.

"80% Build Parties deemed illegal by the ATF - Calguns.net" https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=750262
http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...ling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing.pdf

Yep, be careful. the aTf got pissed off about the metric crap ton of build parties back in he early to mid 2000s.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I don't know for sure, but I bet the bulk of this scrutiny comes more from the fact that you end up with a "ghost gun", rather than how it was made. If you started with a commercially registered receiver I don't think it would be an issue. Has anybody ever had issues with building out registered ar-15 recievers? Once you have a registered reciever the gun is already a gun, and if it's made in the US you don't even have any 922r stuff to think about other than SBR regulations. You'd just be adding parts.

https://www.mckay-ent.com/uzi-semi-auto-receiver-shell-131.html

Last edited:

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
Wow, I cant' believe I missed this. No surprise about ATF, they really know how to spoil a party (no pun intended). Oh well, I guess I'll be on my own if I ever opt to move on these projects.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter