Use of Bolt Saftey Lower in NFA Uzi w/o Bolt Saftey

JTinIN

Was wondering if one can use surplus lower with a bolt safety in a NFA Uzi with out a bolt safety by simply removing the bolt safety?
Does the little tab on the selector in the bolt safety lower need to removed (or the selector replaced)?

Also now days with all the parts sets drying up, who are the good on line Uzi parts dealers?

Thanks in advance.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, it will work fine if you just remove the bolt safety. The little tab on the back of the selector bar won't hinder anything.

JTinIN

Thanks.

Next question is there an easy way to "sneak out" the bolt safety or should I just take everything apart?

schmeisser

Removing the bolt safety level only make my German lower run FA in Vector FA receiver, the sear disconnector are different between the Vector FA lower and German surplus lower, didn't have time to change other internal parts see it works in both mode, on parts wise check the UZI library.

JTinIN

schmeisser said:
Removing the bolt safety level only make my German lower run FA in Vector FA receiver, the sear disconnector are different between the Vector FA lower and German surplus lower, didn't have time to change other internal parts see it works in both mode, on parts wise check the UZI library.

In which case I have a couple of paper weights or scrap metal ...

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
JTinIN said:
In which case I have a couple of paper weights or scrap metal ...

No, you have perfectly usable parts. You only run into problems if you have mismatched fire control parts. If you remove the bolt safety from your German lower, you can put the whole thing on your Vector as is and it should run fine. If you start mixing and matching parts between the two lowers, you just have to make sure the sear, disconnector and trigger spring all match.

JTinIN

Life was easier when Vector was around ... both for the Uzi and the HK clones.

Thanks for the info.

schmeisser

You're right on this 100% , but life such a b$@#*h , some time are out of our control ,if I could go back in time( like in summer of 86) I'll sold my house and bought all the HK94,91,and semi AK's to covert to fully transferable MG!? but it still not too late! you can use the lower (minus the bolt safety) on full auto mode only,or change the internal parts( make sure they all match)RTG has some UZI parts (check library links),also need to make plan to Knob creek in April.:uzi

JTinIN

schmeisser said:
You're right on this 100% , but life such a b$@#*h , some time are out of our control ,if I could go back in time( like in summer of 86) I'll sold my house and bought all the HK94,91,and semi AK's to covert to fully transferable MG!? but it still not too late! you can use the lower (minus the bolt safety) on full auto mode only,or change the internal parts( make sure they all match)RTG has some UZI parts (check library links),also need to make plan to Knob creek in April.:uzi

Have ordered multiple lowers (around a half dozen) from different suppliers, each one has some type fatal flaw, issue or from a different country (all where to have worked when ordered, but of course no returns, funny how that goes). Thanks for the lead and have an email into RTG, however, after a half year trying to get parts for what use to be an easy and common firearm, appears the full size UZI has moved into the obsolete (I got parts easier for MP41 during the same time frame), which is something one would never have though of in the past.

Appreciate the help and assistance here, some of the lowers/parts kits were from earlier KCR, but turned out to be not directly usable for my application (I am learning but not fast enough). Starting to look like will consider having my SOT put the Uzi and 45 kit back up for sale, if can't get parts (the Uzi was mainly for the son, who can also get by with the MP5K-PDW and the Thompson ;-)

Last edited:

schmeisser

Half an hour after my last post, I pull out my Uzi and put in the German lower(minus the bolt safety) and it works on semi mode ! I try on some dummy round and it chamber and eject, I don't remember what I have done to the lower earlier causing it function only on full auto mode ( must be the little sear stopper in the middle of the sear pin that I put in but it's been removed), but still need to try it in range with live ammo ,did some one mention MP41 parts?! I don't remember those MP41 parts are easy find ,even back in mid 90's in KCR ,I got all my MP40 parts from KCR back in mid 90's(got a FXO 41 kit there for $200 that match my flat magazine housing FXO 41!!), I guess those good old days are gone for good.
The German lower I got from Centerfire system and cost $69 and it seem to work now with the bolt safety removed ,they also got some top cover ,metal stock ,wooden stock ,sling and mag pouch at low low price.:peace

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
JTinIN said:
Appreciate the help and assistance here, some of the lowers/parts kits were from earlier KCR, but turned out to be not directly usable for my application (I am learning but not fast enough). Starting to look like will consider having my SOT put the Uzi and 45 kit back up for sale, if can't get parts (the Uzi was mainly for the son, who can also get by with the MP5K-PDW and the Thompson ;-)

Seems like a strange idea to hang up an UZI due to parts not being available. With all of the German surplus parts that have been on the market for the last year or more, there has never been a time when quality IMI parts were cheaper or more available. (With the except of barrels due to the import ban on them.) I've never had a problem with a surplus lower unless someone has been swapping parts in and out of it.

JTinIN

schmeisser said:
Half an hour after my last post, I pull out my Uzi and put in the German lower(minus the bolt safety) and it works on semi mode ! I try on some dummy round and it chamber and eject, I don't remember what I have done to the lower earlier causing it function only on full auto mode ( must be the little sear stopper in the middle of the sear pin that I put in but it's been removed), but still need to try it in range with live ammo ,......

Thanks for going the extra mile and checking further for me, it is appreciated.
Appears that with a little work and test firing (when it get warmer :), might be able to get the box of parts running.

Have a bunch of parts, parts kits and a 45 kit, however, between the bolt safety in the German (?) parts (which were starting to look like a dead end this weekend) and the Uzi being a IMI that was to have been converted to SMG specifications (however, just the block bar was removed and the semi pack worked on by the manufacture in the old days to get it to shoot full and one time out of a hundred on semi) was starting to look like was not going to be able to get the Uzi setup at least half way (the original owner / manufacture passed away after the transfer to my SOT).

With the amount of work needed and limited options for getting it done locally (could of good guys but they are behind years and/or are no longer interested) still up in the air if I am better spending more money on parts/labor or trading it off locally when get a chance (these type things are best decided before the 2nd week in April ;-). One of these weekends need to visit a friend with a posty IMI Uzi and make a few comparisons, before a finial decision.

JTinIN

RoverDave said:
Seems like a strange idea to hang up an UZI due to parts not being available. With all of the German surplus parts that have been on the market for the last year or more, there has never been a time when quality IMI parts were cheaper or more available. (With the except of barrels due to the import ban on them.) I've never had a problem with a surplus lower unless someone has been swapping parts in and out of it.

Was starting to look like the tricky German's had made lowers that would not work on an IMI Uzi, however, appears not to be the case.

Also got a reply from RTG - so at least can get misc. parts.

Thanks for the leads.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
JTinIN said:
Was starting to look like the tricky German's had made lowers that would not work on an IMI Uzi, however, appears not to be the case.

No need to worry about that, since the German parts are actually made by IMI.

JTinIN

9mmsubgun-m11 said:
I think I got him on track a little bit ago with a phone call.

Thanks ... now we need to go shooting when the weather warms up (have extra 50 BMG ammo ;-).

944turbo

UZI Talk Supporter
Could the receiver be modified to use lowers that have the bolt safety?

The pictures in the library make it look like there is a slot added for the safety to reach the bolt and that is all. I'm thinking it might be easier to add the slot than take the safety out of the lowers.

:dunno

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, an extra slot is required in the bottom or the receiver to use the bolt safety, however it would be far easier to remove the bolt safety from the grip frame than to cut the receiver. Plus, cutting the receiver would likely affect the value of the gun, or at least the ease in selling it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter