Tell me about your AK

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
Here are some of the very few things I know:

1. Yugos are inexpensive but don't have chrome lined bores.
2. Polytech Legends are surprisingly accurate when compared to many other AKs.
3. Chinese magazines don't have that annoying rib on their back. This makes them more valuable to some folks.
4. Chinese drums are far easier to load than Romanian drums. This is because the Chinese drum's back opens while the Romanian drums load like a regular magazine. Chinese drums hold a premium over Romanian drums as a result.
5. Bulgarian Krink kits are considered among the most desirable. After looking at different kits, I must agree that their fit and finish is pretty darn impressive.

Yeah, pretty sad. The AK is still mostly a mystery to me. I just know enough to get by (and know what to mark up as a dealer! :D), but I would like to learn more eventually.

Mike

Mike85220

Here are some...

I just bought a Type 56 AKM-47S full auto which cleared two weeks ago.
I just sighted it in, and the sight is offset to the right like a typical AK and functions 100%. Accuracy is typical and it is suprisingly easy to control on automatic. I will say the AK full autos I have shot in the past all felt like jackhammers in 7.62x39. This one is like new, and I guess the others had many rounds through them to loosen up and have so much recoil from wear.
The trigger on this gun is smooth, but a little heavier than most, probably due to the full auto mechanism. (gun pictured below under AK47.jpg)

I got an SAR-1 for Christmas, and it is brand new. I added the vertical laminated front grip, Buffer Technologies buffer and G2 trigger for it. The G2 trigger needed a little dremilling to fit as the SAR-1 is a single hook AK and the G2 is double. I did not want to dremil the AK's receiver when I knew Red Star sells modded G2 triggers for single hook AKs and knew if they could do it, so could I, and I did. The accuracy is exceptional, the recoil is mild, and the trigger pull is exceptional but has overtravel like most AKs. I am going to fix this by having some weld put on the front legs of the trigger so it will stop just at the breaking point so I can shoot a lot faster by not wasting so much pull distance with my finger. (no current pic)

I have an NHM-91 that my wife has stolen from me. She loves this gun, and as such I felt inclined to let her have it. I have done lots of mods to this gun.
As it sat, the heavy 20" barrel, heavy bipod and thick rubber buttpad made this a highly accurate and easy gun to shoot, but I went further with it. I added an RPK muzzle brake, Tapco G2 trigger (honed by me), Red Star Arms trigger/ hammer pin retainer plate, Red Star Arms bolt hold open selector, RPK fully adjustable rear sight (trunion needed dremilled to allow it to fit and needed campy tool to remove old sight and install new one), Wolf disconnector spring, and I also lightened the trigger spring which is part of the hammer spring so the trigger pull is 3.5 pounds.

The G2 honed trigger feels like butter, and is an important factor to accuracy.
The reduced spring tension has not affected ability to punch primers, but it has made it like the trigger has only a cushion of air's worth of resistance.

The heavy barrel, thick rubber butt pad and heavy bipod add weight and RPK brake reduces recoil so much that it makes double taps land 1/4 inch from each other at 25 yards (this gun gives ARs a run for their money). The heavy barrel also prevents the gun from heating up which helps accuracy. I usually use the Romanian 75 round drum on this gun as it is low profile, yet has lots of rounds and adds even more weight to reduce recoil. This gun has recoil like an AR-15.

My wife pisses off a lot of people. One guy with an M-1A and optics kept puffing dirt around the 2x2 steel plate at 300 yards and she consistantly gets 19 out of 20 on that plate, sometimes all 20! I taught her well...

The RPK rear sight allows for adjustment as different ammunition leads to different point of impact. This sight is also a lot smaller on the notch which gives incredible duplication of aim which in turn gets better accuracy.

The retainer bar guarantees me to never see the trigger or hammer pin walk.

The bolt hold open allows me at the range to keep the bolt open during a cease fire without jamming empty brass in the bolt and receiver. It is also a good safety tool to inspect the chamber or to allow the barrel to cool quicker.

The NHM-91 has been my favorite RPK style AK, dare I say overall AK.
(Pictured below under nhm.jpg, but this old pic is before mods, I will take more updated pics soon)

I bought a Polish parts kit and an Arsenal USA receiver which was assembled by AZEX. This gun has the Tapco slant muzzle brake and G2 trigger (love these G2s), and Tapco pistol grip. The trigger and hammer pin are E-clipped, so they are not coming out unless I want them to. The gun was not refinished, and I had the 3 position selector markings and 3rd notch for a Polish AK enscribed on. It has an underfolding stock and looks like a battlefield pickup. This gun is very light on recoil. The reason for this is, the receiver is very tight to the bolt. The bolt's travel is slowed down more than normal. I had the basic assembly done by AZEX and I did the final bolt to receiver fitment.

This Polish AK is THE most accurate 16 inch AK I ever shot. It just groups and groups damn well no matter if it is from the sandbag or standing. It is a smooth shooter, recoils light, damn accurate and has that legendary AK reliability. Pics here: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34282

Mike85220

2. Polytech Legends are surprisingly accurate when compared to many other AKs.
My Legend underfolder wasn't all that accurate, but it could have just been mine, I bought it used. I bet that NM Legend is the $hit though, never had one, just the stamped NHM-91.

3. Chinese magazines don't have that annoying rib on their back. This makes them more valuable to some folks.
The rib makes them stronger, and for some reason, I have noticed that my AKs with a vertical grip NEED these German ribbed mags, other mags literally bump into the vertical wood grip and are hard to get into the gun. I do not know why this is, I am guessing it has a different curve???

4. Chinese drums are far easier to load than Romanian drums. This is because the Chinese drum's back opens while the Romanian drums load like a regular magazine. Chinese drums hold a premium over Romanian drums as a result.
I sold my 3/75 and 1/100 round Chinese drum.
Everytime I loaded them, I mean everytime and closed it up with the latches, the rounds would bind up and I would have to clear the gun and shake the drum a few times to get the next round to pop up. Then it would jam again. The only way any of the 4 I had would work, is to load, close, wind, insert into AK, rack in a round, shoot, jam, take drum out, open the drum, close, shake drum, reload and shoot... I guess if you like :spank , it is a great drum set-up. My 3 Romanian drums shoot 100% flawless. They load a tad slower, but the can stay loaded without damage and don't need wound to go into action which would suck if that step is forgotten.

Stu5250

AKs.jpg
[/IMG]

Romanian AES-10B on top. Century build. Paid a bit more buying it at a local gun store than by ordering it, but I got to see it in person before I bought it. (Thanks for answering questions about them on another thread, Mike85220. I appreciated the help a ton.) Took it out yesterday with the Chinese drum. LOVE IT. No problems. Almost no recoil, heavy. The wood could use a little work.

Polish Underfolder on the bottom. Built by ITM arms in Ohio. Got it right after the AWB Sunset. Also love it, never had any problems. Much lighter than the RPK.

piratesover40

UZI Talk Life Member
piratesover40 said:
Sorry it's not by itself. You won't regret buying on they are good shooters.

MyPistols-1.jpg

I think before the summer I'm going to Form 1 my AK pistol to an SBR. Just need to figure out the stock I want.

dantheman

heres my Romarm, nothing fancy but she works..

and i appologise for the quality of my camera phone pics

Attachments

• attachment.ak3.jpg
    attachment.ak3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 118
  • attachment.ak2.jpg
    attachment.ak2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 99

slayr15

i just got hooked my self ! i have a rommy wasr 10 hi-cap finished the stocks and added a us complient slant break. i started my first build last week it's a yugo m70 b1

Attachments

• DCFN0001.JPG
    DCFN0001.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 399

Mike85220

Your welcome Stu5250.
Since my wife has taken my NHM-91, I am tempted to get a heavy barrel Romanian RPK clone too. I am a big fan of the Romanian AK type firearms. They are very easy to spit polish and make into some top tier firearms. They have always been reliable and accurate, making the trigger nicer and jazzing it up cosmetically is always fun.

I would get some cherry wood stain, lightly sand the wood with very fine grit paper and get some water based clear coat. It will look incredible!

Honing the contact surfaces in the trigger assembly with a brass wheel attachment will make it exceptional. Or get a G2 trigger assembly, and a trigger/ hammer pin retainer plate and call it done.

Don't forget to bumpfire it...:mg
http://media.putfile.com/Bumpfired-NHM-91
(this video takes a minute to load as putfile.com sucks, lol!)

Mick7.62

UZI Talk Supporter
I sold a Romak about three years ago to a buddy. I REALLY MISS IT! someday, I'll buy another, but would rather buy one built by someone that knows what they are doing... I wasn't impressed with the Romanian's quality.
Here's a pic with my old AK... and the old lady!
IMG_1590.jpg

ItchyFinger

IMG_1590.jpg

MY FAVORITE BEER! DOS XX! :hit_it And I mean the beer, I'd not touch your wife. You have an Uzi and I'm very afraid. :goofygrin

Oswald2001

I noticed the very attractive lady has her thumb safely inside the trigger guard and snugged nicely up against the trigger. :peep

Mick7.62

UZI Talk Supporter
Oswald2001 said:
I noticed the very attractive lady has her thumb safely inside the trigger guard and snugged nicely up against the trigger. :peep

Yeah, I try. But she grew up in Los Angeles..... That training is hard to undo!!!!!!!!!

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
At least she's drinking to keep that thumb 'loose'!

Just bustin' balls! :laugh

Jake

Mick7.62

UZI Talk Supporter
Of course! Our first date: She asked me if I'd take her shooting "sometime." I'm a dude, so I say "SURE!" Not giving it much more thought, she again asked me two days later! So SHE made a date for that Friday. I brought a .22LR for her to shoot, and a brand new M-16 I wanted to sight in, and a FAL I had owned for like four years, and never fired. About two hours into the range trip, she had commandeered MY FAL, not wanting to give it back! This was the first time she had ever handled a gun, and after a couple of hours, she was making one ragged hole at 100 yards with a stock military FAL!

Here's her with her newest FAL, a DSA Stg-58a:
195909119_l.jpg

This is what she does at 250 M off a bench:
195911994_l.jpg

Yeah, I HAD to marry this one, just 'cause she scares me! I like that in a gal!
I should also mention: she cooks, cleans, is funny as hell, and an overall sweetheart (and after all these years, she still makes my pants go crazy). She'll be at UTS 2008, come over and say "hi" to us.

p.s. Please, don't tell her I put her pics up, she'll kick my ass... She may only be 4'11", but she's feisty!

Last edited:

Mike85220

The Romanians do not put a lot into asthetics on their AKs.
It does not reflect into the "quality" of their AKs, except maybe some WASRs.

Remember that the WASR-10s were dremilled and welded by someone else to make them high cap. Therefore the beef with the receiver tabs being welded in instead of the receiver dimples and mag fitment problems is not the Romanian's fault. These were 10 round rifles made for the ban, and for Kommiefornia.

Anyways, the SAR series have been everything an AK is supposed to be, a carbine that is reliable, and hits what you aim at. Some AKs are so jazzed up aesthetics wise, that is actually what the price difference is coming from.

I can deburr the Romanian receiver and trigger assembly very easily.
The wood is very easy to refinish and it costs very very little.
You would be surprised at the end result of a spit polished Romanian AK.

Here is a pick of my friend's WASR-10 that I modified.

It has an ACE folder which is one of the most rigid stocks made, it reminds me of a Galil stock.
It has a Tapco slant muzzle brake installed, which works surprisingly well.
It has my favorite 2 hook G2 trigger installed (needed some dremilling to fit), I also honed the contact points.
I also deburred the receiver, the bolt travels smooth!
I did some dremilling on the magwell to get drums to fit.
The metal finish sucks so I heated the receiver and applied 6 coats of cold blue.
A wood vertical grip was added.
The wood was lightly sanded and stained with cherry wood finish.
When it was all dry then it had a few coats of water based clear coat applied.

These pics do not do it justice.

Mick7.62

UZI Talk Supporter
Mike85220:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I, once upon a time, was issue an "ISHMASH" (that's how it sounds, don't have a Cyrillic keyboard!) in the US Army. I loved it, and missed it when they took it back. Hell, I even fired that bad little mother in anger once, killed a opossum running along the side of our CUCV on Camp McCall, NC! It was zigging and zagging at about 20 mph, one shot one kill, then made some SF students cook and eat it! Good times.........

Oswald2001

Mick7.62 said:
This was the first time she had ever handled a gun, and after a couple of hours, she was making one ragged hole at 100 yards with a stock military FAL!

Keeper!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter