Suomi drum quick reload?

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
so I was loading a drum up last night and got to thinking (as I'm knocking rounds over sideways in the drum, chasing them around trying to fish them out and etc)...
these are military drums used in combat. yes, you're carrying 71 rounds on board when loaded, but how were they topped off? or quickly loaded in the field?
I mean, on a mag you can top it off with a few rounds from your pocket whenever you want, but if you were loading a drum, its not the fastest thing in the world to get back into the fight if necessary.

thoughts?
maybe I'm just a rookie (which is true) and dont have it wired down yet.

Wahnsinn

I don't think there is a quick way. Probably just took them out already loaded, once it's empty either drop it or stuff it somewhere, carry some sticks that could be quickly loaded/topped off.

That's what I do, until I show my kids how to load them :D They already do the sticks for me at the range.

Shattered

...but how were they topped off? or quickly loaded in the field?

My friend's father was actually pressed into service in the Russian Army in the advance through Germany. Being Polish and just turned 16, he was grabbed (or volunteered, he didn't expound on that) as the Russians advanced through the Polish territory. All he said about the PPsh submachineguns was that when you ran out of ammo, you just ran out. You either picked up drums or mags off a dead comrade or threw it away and grabbed something else. He said nobody reloaded the drums in the field, especially during combat. He recounted one attack where he ended up using about 20 different guns and ended up switching to German machinguns as the ammo was easier to find.
Fascinating guy, he passed several years ago.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
My friend's father was actually pressed into service in the Russian Army in the advance through Germany. Being Polish and just turned 16, he was grabbed (or volunteered, he didn't expound on that) as the Russians advanced through the Polish territory. All he said about the PPsh submachineguns was that when you ran out of ammo, you just ran out. You either picked up drums or mags off a dead comrade or threw it away and grabbed something else. He said nobody reloaded the drums in the field, especially during combat. He recounted one attack where he ended up using about 20 different guns and ended up switching to German machinguns as the ammo was easier to find.
Fascinating guy, he passed several years ago.

interesting story. and kinda what I figured.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I assumed the drums were disposable by the amount they made, not to mention how easily they are to dent.

dnh

UZI Talk Life Member
..., not to mention how easily they are to dent.

Tell me about it! I dropped one that was mostly full on the concrete at the indoor range last weekend. It's gonna take some work with a hammer to get it straightened back out.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
The Finns went out in pairs and had ammo stashes. One would shoot and the other would reload and hand over another suomi. they did not reload them in the field from my readings.

mikeAZ

Reloading the drums is not always a simple thing as we all know..... I've found that if I slightly incline the drum and turn it as I am filling it, reloading is much simpler.... I also keep a ballpoint pen or pencil handy to stand the rounds back up if they have fallen over. When I go match shooting I preload all my 8 drums (all numbered), usually no more loading is necessary.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance

UZI Talk Life Member
Quick reload of Suomi drum aaaaaahahaha ahahaha hahaha aa ha ha :toast:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao

crimedog

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, all very true.....I also tilt the drums a little while loading...
If anyone knew a thing or two about fast Suomi drum reloads, it might well have been this man,the patron saint of the KP-31 with over 200 kills with this weapon alone.Too bad he is no longer around or we could ask him maybe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

Wahnsinn

Is there really such a thing as a quick load/reload of ANY drum? I guess maybe something that'll take stripper clips...assuming you also have the ammo on said stripper clips.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance

UZI Talk Life Member
Holy cow this guy has the highest recorded number of confirmed sniper kills – 505 – in any major war. They are also making a HBO film on him. I had no clue someone had that many recorded kills.

greenpeas

UZI Talk Life Member
:abusedAnybody have a fully cocked drum let loose on you before it's completely full yet? Good times.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance

UZI Talk Life Member
lol, I've nearly caught my finger once. Those things are more dangerous than the guns that shoot the bullets.

Wahnsinn

When I'm loading mine, I try to find a hole or divot to put the button in on the bench so I don't accidentally let it fly.

Shattered

Ehhh... it helps a lot to have it on an angle. Just prop one corner up on something and rotate it as you load it. When it's full rotate it back a bit more and get that last round in. That leaves only about 1/8 of an inch of play in the entire drum. Then rotate it tight again and gently push the drum down to release the spring and ease off a bit so the first round engages the feed lips... nothing to it. Don't have yer ipad or iphone screamin' at ya when you should be concentrating on keeping your fingertips where God intended them to be.

I've been loading these things since 1992 for my MP5 and Walther MPL and MPK. Still got all the fingertips I had from birth. No shorter fingaz here....

H

hotbrass

Quick reload of Suomi drum aaaaaahahaha ahahaha hahaha aa ha ha :toast:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao

That was the only reason I had a son. To do my reloading and loading! I guess I havent been a good parent. He doesnt like loading magazines. He only likes shooting. I will try to do a better job when its time to teach him reloading. Actually I think his mother ruined him!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter