Shrike: Anyone know what this means?

subgunner

I think the Shrike as a military item is a fairy tale. In the reports I have read so far the Shrike has needed some TLC to work properly. No problem for an NFA toy but not for military use and abuse.

Assuming it could pass military testing what mission does it serve? It's a bit lighter than the current SAW but so what?
I doubt ARES can build them for less than the price of a SAW so what military would want them?

I doubt there would be much interest in the Shrike in the NFA community if you could buy a transferrable SAW at a reasonable price. It's the lack of affordable beltfeds that make the Shrike attractive.

v188

The guy who posted that (a Mod and definite "mouthpiece" of joy for Ares) has deleted that posting. ;)

Guess even Ares' mouthpieces are getting discouraged, but he regretted making the comment and removed it?

I'm also curious who/what he was speaking about.

Of course, I'd rather get my postcard and send the balance of my funds for my Shrike.

jwp

lakeside 22 upper will have thousands of uppers out before 100 shrikes in people's hands

lkblair

is this Shrike some sort of urban myth? Or is it one of those "Look what I can make" jobbies?

subgunner

is this Shrike some sort of urban myth? Or is it one of those "Look what I can make" jobbies?

A few handmade proto's have surfaced with mixed results. It's evident at this point in time that ARES does not have the design issues worked out yet. If they could mass produce a working upper they would be delivering them by now.

I can't understand why Geoff just doesn't admit the thing is not sorted out yet. We understand that R&D takes time. Maybe he's just too embarassed as the upper is several years late.

tony k

FFL/C&R
carcass said:
They're serious about it, but they just don't seem to have the ability to bring it to market just yet.

BTW, ARES hold several patents that Eugene Stoner assigned to them back in the '90s.

For example:

U.S. Patent # 4,942,802

and

Other patents by Stoner assigned to ARES.

FWIW, ARES Inc. is in Port Clinton, Ohio, and was founded by Eugene Stoner. It holds Stoner's patents.

ARES Defense Systems Inc. is in Blacksburg/Radford, Va., and is owned by Geoff Herring. This is the company which is producing the Shrike.

My understanding is that they are two entirely different companies.

ELVIS

Banned
Never gonna happen...Plus those with 12K M16s aint shelling out another 5-15K for a friggin upper..nada...Not when Beta mags are so cheap.

joshuap

I disagree for several reasons:
1. Many who do Beta dumps kill their gas ports, and can only do 1 Beta dump. This is not the case with the Shrike, which not only is designed for full auto dumps, but also has quick changeable barrels.
2. Belts can be made as long or short as desired, and the remaining amoutn can quickly be ascertained
3. It is a GREAT bit cheaper then the few transferable m249's, and even the post samples for SOT's.
4. Beta's aren't the longest lasting units, and the design is built, specifically the feed towers, to wear out. If a Beta is dropped with the ammo in it, kiss it goodbye...not the case with shrike, although the argument can be made that obviously a large enough fall could break or stop it from firing.
5. Beta's are somewhat awkward

lkblair

betas were designed for the civilan market wernt they?

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
100 round BETAs are $200 ea. If you can control your trigger finger, or get one of the L-W or POF non-gastube uppers, you can get a lot of BETA-Cs for the price of (vaporware) a SHRIKE. Besides, the cool guys are gonna buy LM-7s... $1500 vs $5K? $6K?.... AND... .22 vs 5.56$$$$$$....

Hey I just love blasting stuff with my MGs... and I don't have Bill Gates money.:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter