SBR Engraving Question - AR15

DarrenL

UZI Talk Supporter
All,
I have done some searching but have not found any really great information. I have an AR and my Form 1 was just approved for an SBR.

What I am trying to determine is if I can have the trust name/location engraved on just the SBR barrel and not on the lower receiver. The lower is factory-marked with the original manufacturer and serial number. I will just run this lower in this single configuration, a "dedicated SBR upper" so to speak.

Am I OK to just engrave the barrel? Anyone have any specific experience on this?

Thanks,
Darren

DarrenL

UZI Talk Supporter
Finding lots of good posts here on the forums from the past, still reading through them. I think the barrel is fine to be marked, but how "visible" does it need to be is what I am trying to find. On the AR and under the handguards, if those handguards have many holes which still allow the engraving to be visible, if that is an acceptable place.

Darren

DarrenL

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks Banshee... the guy who was supposed to engrave my barrel just called me to argue about it. He insists that on an AR-platform rifle, engraving the barrel is not a valid location for the trust name and city/state. He also argues that an SBR-registered lower, while in 16" barrel, non-SBR configuration (and not accompanied by the SBR upper) requires an approved 5320.20.

I have worn myself out searching the internet and I cannot find any information from the BATFE nor NFA Branch that backs up what he is telling me. The SBR instructions for manufacture of a firearm pretty clearly state that the barrel can be engraved with the trust information, while the receiver has the original manufacturer information and serial number.

Any documentation out there or actual facts that go against engraving the barrel on an AR-platform weapon and not engraving the receiver?

Thanks,
Darren

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
Thanks Banshee... the guy who was supposed to engrave my barrel just called me to argue about it. He insists that on an AR-platform rifle, engraving the barrel is not a valid location for the trust name and city/state. He also argues that an SBR-registered lower, while in 16" barrel, non-SBR configuration (and not accompanied by the SBR upper) requires an approved 5320.20.

I have worn myself out searching the internet and I cannot find any information from the BATFE nor NFA Branch that backs up what he is telling me. The SBR instructions for manufacture of a firearm pretty clearly state that the barrel can be engraved with the trust information, while the receiver has the original manufacturer information and serial number.

Any documentation out there or actual facts that go against engraving the barrel on an AR-platform weapon and not engraving the receiver?

Thanks,
Darren

He is wrong on all counts. I would seriously re-consider getting the work done by someone else who knows what they are doing. Here is the reg:

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and
(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

TexTenn59

He is wrong on all counts. I would seriously re-consider getting the work done by someone else who knows what they are doing. Here is the reg:

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and
(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

I have been going round and round myself on getting an SBR correct. I already have several stripped lowers to choose from, all 100% from factory (not 80%). To do this right I need to:
1) submit my paperwork (e-file?????)
2) Once approved, engrave my name, city and state (already has factory serial number and caliber)
3) complete build and have fun.

Is it that simple?

Thanks in advance!

DarrenL

UZI Talk Supporter
To provide follow-up for future searches, a gun trust lawyer and the engraver both stated it was not correct, but an agent from the NFA Branch called me back today and said that the barrel is an accepted location for engraving my trust information when converting the AR rifle to an SBR. Obviously each <16" barrel would also need to be engraved, if I plan to have multiple uppers.

Thanks again!

Darren

Renegade

To provide follow-up for future searches, a gun trust lawyer and the engraver both stated it was not correct, but an agent from the NFA Branch called me back today and said that the barrel is an accepted location for engraving my trust information when converting the AR rifle to an SBR. Obviously each <16" barrel would also need to be engraved, if I plan to have multiple uppers.

Thanks again!

Darren

Also for future follow-up, I am never wrong. :)

DarrenL

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks Renegade... I actually did completely trust your answer, I had left the voicemail at NFA Branch yesterday before I posted here. Much appreciated!

Darren

Renegade

Thanks Renegade... I actually did completely trust your answer, I had left the voicemail at NFA Branch yesterday before I posted here. Much appreciated!

Darren

J/K

Trust but Verify!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter