Remington 870 TAC14

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought the TAC14 a couple of weeks ago. However, due to a weird Texas law, they aren't legal here until September 1, when a new law that makes them legal takes effect. So it's still in the dealer's safe until 9/1.

Is there a minishell adapter out for the TAC14 yet?

StooperZero

most of the time it was a elevator mod/round stop for the mini's .

i did it once and wasn't impressed.

BISHOP

My Rem 870 will feed the mini shells without modification but its not reliable. Some times its flawless, a whole tube, other times 1-2 jam up.

I will talk about SBS that I built, because its exactly the same gun as the TAC14 just the name has been changed to protect the innocent.

BISHOP

StooperZero

they were made for that retarded thing.

Mag7-m1.jpg

BISHOP

I remember when SOG was selling them. They had it in their ad that they would not take ANY back as returns.
It was during the ban and you couldn't get the folding stock with it.

BISHOP

StooperZero

yea they started at $367. in "collectors corner"
once the ban was over they suddenly went over $800.
$875 MSRP

:lol

I have never seen one at any show or shop. pop up once in awhile on gb or armslisp but why buy a turd.

SSBiggun

All this talk got me interested. I had a Mossberg cruiser pg back in the 80's and didn't care for it much once the novelty wore off. well I picked up a tac 14 yesterday for 400 + change. only complaint after going through it is ' no rem choke bbl.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought the TAC14 a couple of weeks ago. However, due to a weird Texas law, they aren't legal here until September 1, when a new law that makes them legal takes effect. So it's still in the dealer's safe until 9/1.

Is there a minishell adapter out for the TAC14 yet?

do you know which bill changed the law in Texas? I've tried looking for it but can't find anything.

glockman

I bought a TAC 14. Lot of fun to shoot. Mine seems to shoot a bit high, but it is awkward to "aim". Need to get off my butt and submit my form 1 to SBS this thing and install a stock with a pistol grip. I know the ATF drags their ass approving them. Might go to a Silencer Shop kiosk and try that. Seems to be the most painless way, You can submit your picture through their app with a selfie taken on your cellphone, and the kiosk also takes your fingerprints and fills out all of the paperwork for you, and submits it to the ATF. But..... It also charges you $35 for this convenience.

lobo

AOW

I have a Remington 870 with a 10-1/2" barrel and birds mouth stock and is 3+1 capacity and classified as an AOW by BATFE...I just got the stamp back about 3 months ago. It is classified as an AOW because it left the factory in that configuration. I was told that I can change the grip to a pistol grip without compromising the AOW status, but cannot mount a fixed or folding adjustable stock without crossing the line into a sawed off shotgun which requires a minimum barrel length of 18" and overall length of 26". Mine looks a lot like the TAC-14 https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14 except the TAC holds one more round and the barrel is about 3" longer. I mounted a side shell holder to the left side that holds 4 spare rounds.

Serbu is located here locally and I asked them how they can produce a shorty and they said they buy the Moss or Rem receivers bare with no barrel or stock and then via their license can make shortys registered as AOWs...they are not classified as an NFA weapon...one of the few guns manufactured after 1986 that you and I can buy with only a $5 stamp instead of $200.

I was also told that BATFE got bewildered as to how to classify these guns because if a factory made gun can be fired with one hand like my AK pistol or Moss 715P http://www.mossberg.com/product/mossberg-international-715p-pistol-37235/ then it's a pistol and you can fire a shorty one handed...like on Youtube so it fortunately went in the direction of AOW.

A study was done on the mini shells and the only gun that would run them reliably was the Winchester 1300.

lobo

Last edited:

lobo

All this talk got me interested. I had a Mossberg cruiser pg back in the 80's and didn't care for it much once the novelty wore off. well I picked up a tac 14 yesterday for 400 + change. only complaint after going through it is ' no rem choke bbl.

I've had a couple of my shotgun barrels machined to accept changeable chokes. The only thing to check for is take a Remchoke and butt it against the end of your barrel to make sure you have enough barrel thickness to machine it. My 870 AOW has plenty of thickness, but I didn't see the benefit with a 10-1/2" barrel. On the other hand, where I come from, TN, we had turkey shoots all the time so I found a 36" single shot Long Tom with a modified choke and I had it threaded for Winchokes and I quickly became unpopular at turkey shoots with a three foot barrel. A friend of mine didn't check his barrel thickness on a Win Model 12 and the screw in Winchoke tore the threads right out and it was so thin you could squeeze it together.
lobo

lobo

I bought a TAC 14. Lot of fun to shoot. Mine seems to shoot a bit high, but it is awkward to "aim". Need to get off my butt and submit my form 1 to SBS this thing and install a stock with a pistol grip. I know the ATF drags their ass approving them. Might go to a Silencer Shop kiosk and try that. Seems to be the most painless way, You can submit your picture through their app with a selfie taken on your cellphone, and the kiosk also takes your fingerprints and fills out all of the paperwork for you, and submits it to the ATF. But..... It also charges you $35 for this convenience.

Glockman, if you submit to change your TAC by adding a stock will they make you lengthen the barrel to 18"?
lobo

DistalRadius

18" barrel and 26" overall is the minimum length on a Title I (non-regulated) shotgun. A registered Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) may have whatever barrel/overall length you prefer.

lobo

18" barrel and 26" overall is the minimum length on a Title I (non-regulated) shotgun. A registered Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS) may have whatever barrel/overall length you prefer.

So if the Tac 14 is an AOW and not a registered SBS am I correct in assuming that it cannot be changed over to an SBS?
lobo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter