Recommendations on Cleaning Kits for a Model A...

Dodger

Gents...

I saw a bunch of thread about cleaning the Uzi, but none with recommendations on cleaning kits or labor saving techniques.

I love to shoot and I take great care of my various guns. I'm much less enthusiastic about cleaning the guns after a visit to the range... it's a chore. Does anyone have any good ideas about cleaning kits or techniques to make cleaning the full-size Uzi (9mm Semi Model A with the 16.1" barrel) fast and easy?

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
The UZI is one of the easiest guns there is to clean. Unscrew the barrel nut and remove the barrel. Then clean the barrel with your favorite cleaning rod, brush and patches. With the top cover and bolt removed, the inside of the receiver is wide open and easy to wipe out.

Dodger

Dave... Been doing most of what you mentioned from the start, that's the good old fashioned way with a bore snake or standard rod for the barrel. before running the barrel, I spray Barricade or carb and choke cleaner on the inside and finish with a light coat of Gun Butter. On the interior, i've used pieces of old towels, tee shirts, tooth brushes, q-tips and linen patches with break free. For the moving parts I use a wash. I soak the bolt and buffer in a small metal tub (deep metal bread pan) of odorless distilled mineral spirits mixed with 1/5 break free. I cover the entire bolt and let it soak while I work on the barrel and interior. It comes clean nicely with a soft toothbrush. If you use a coffe filter and funnel and pour the wash from the metal pan back into a glass juice container you can reuse the wash. I've done this same stuff for years with my M4 and AR-15... just wondered if anyone had found any shortcuts or neat tricks for the Uzi.

Philip

UZI Talk Supporter
I just hose mine out with break free and then lube it when dry.

Last edited:

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Dave... Been doing most of what you mentioned from the start, that's the good old fashioned way with a bore snake or standard rod for the barrel. before running the barrel, I spray Barricade or carb and choke cleaner on the inside and finish with a light coat of Gun Butter. On the interior, i've used pieces of old towels, tee shirts, tooth brushes, q-tips and linen patches with break free. For the moving parts I use a wash. I soak the bolt and buffer in a small metal tub (deep metal bread pan) of odorless distilled mineral spirits mixed with 1/5 break free. I cover the entire bolt and let it soak while I work on the barrel and interior. It comes clean nicely with a soft toothbrush. If you use a coffe filter and funnel and pour the wash from the metal pan back into a glass juice container you can reuse the wash. I've done this same stuff for years with my M4 and AR-15... just wondered if anyone had found any shortcuts or neat tricks for the Uzi.

The easier way is to get treatment for your OCD and then spend more time shooting your gun. :roflmao

Seriously, the gun does not have to be cleaned that often or that thoroughly.

shadeone

UZI Talk Supporter
i used to be "that OCD cleaning guy".... listened to the advice on here and now i just bring it home from the range, CLP the shit out of everything and store it till next time. Ill clean the barrel one of these days....

Dodger

When I go to the range, I run a lot of rounds through the guns and they definetly aren't 'gun safe queens'. I like the CLP for cleaning, but I finish cleaning with a light coat of Gun Butter (I've got an old shaving brush that I use for the bolt and buffer).
I started using Gun Butter a few years ago and liked it so much that I sent a couple of gallons of it to my Son's unit in Afghanistan. He and his fellow Marines used the Gun Butter for individual weapons and my son and another infantryman used it for their SAW's and loved it. Gun Butter doesn't have the tendency to attract dirt, sand and carbon like CLP.

JTinIN

We have been known to toss the stripped parts into a parts washer, brush, blow dry, over lube with CLP and let drip dry ... for the Tittle II guns after shooting a lot for the weekend or end of the year or decade in the case of the Uzi (friend did have one fail due to dirt after ~14,000 rounds ....).

http://www.issmc.com/jt/images/cleaning/index.html

break_free_drip_dry_side.jpg

Dodger

Jt... that is one nice setup. What do you use in the basin wash? I've used odorless distilled mineral spirits mixed with CLP with great results. It dries super fast and leaves behind a thin layer of oil. It's also super inexpensive, because I reuse the wash by pouring it through a funnel and coffee filter.

BTW.... is that an M2 I see peeking behind one of those pictures?

JTinIN

Jt... that is one nice setup. What do you use in the basin wash? I've used odorless distilled mineral spirits mixed with CLP with great results. It dries super fast and leaves behind a thin layer of oil. It's also super inexpensive, because I reuse the wash by pouring it through a funnel and coffee filter.

BTW.... is that an M2 I see peeking behind one of those pictures?

I use a high flash point parts washer solvent with a flash point of over 141F, which is more or less a more refined odorless mineral spirits which has a nominal flash point of 109F or greater. The parts washer solvent is a little safer (still burns but the vapor don't build up as bad, in particular on a hot day in summer) and a little slower to evaporate (more like kerosene but with out the odor of kerosene). Have tried AFT in an earlier batch and have some with 5% to 10% CLP that also works well. I tend to pre clean the dirty spots with CLP and then rinse and clean, so the CLP level builds with time.

That is a 1919a4 hiding in the back ground, never got a M2 when they were $3K for a side plate, as a local friend had one ... then he stopped shooting 15+ years ago, still get out with another friend but not as often. 1919A4 at http://www.issmc.com/jt/index.htm and MaDuce at http://www.issmc.com/50bmg/index.htm

timo

UZI Talk Supporter
Shadeone-are you sure you weren't watching me clean mine.funny but true

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter