Ratcheting Top Cover - Problem?

DeadEyeDonna

What is the actual purpose of the ratcheting feature with the top cover.
The top cover on my RR SMG has stopped ratcheting....is this a real problem.

I am not trying to sound so naive or ignorant, but trying to learn and figure out what is going on.

Thanks.

dubagel

I’m guessing your Uzi is an open bolt. The purpose of the ratcheting top cover mechanism is a safety to prevent accidental firing of the weapon while cocking it or possibly dropping it. The production Uzi smg was an open bolt design. When the weapon is in the cocked position to fire, the action is open and the bolt is at the rear. If you were cocking the weapon and your hand slipped prematurely to reaching the rear of travel, the gun could accidentally slam fire. The ratcheting pawl prevents that. The closed bolt designs, which are the semiauto’s and conversions, don’t have a ratcheting pawl or spring. On a closed bolt you can use an smg top cover and just remove them. If you don’t, you wouldn’t be able to cock the weapon. You can get a replacement pawl and spring easily or a new full top cover assembly.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDonna

Thank you for the reply.
This top cover has a pic rail welded on it courtesy of BWE...so I do not wish to replace it...

I do have the original TC as well as a replacement one.
I guess I will have to see if I can figure how to make a swap...

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
I modified a top cover so I can cock the weapon open, then load the mag and pull back and chamber the round, semi auto of course.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
To each his own. Having a weapon's chamber open is a nice safety option to have at the range.

WHIZ

I have a modded rachetting top cover for my closed bolt semi some ranges require you to show clear so I can lock the bolt back kinda cool feature when range jackbags ask "SHOW CLEAR " anyway had this feature done.

rescue161

I always tell the RSO that is is an open-bolt gun. That usually does the trick, but for those RSO's that don't get it, I just stick a spent casing sideways to hold the bolt slightly back and that makes them happy.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter