Parts Kits

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Found MK4 parts kits with original barrels.Sargesmilitarysurplus.com for those interested.

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Traveler,look under collectables on their site.Got a kit today and the barrel is original HTH

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Got two parts kits from Sarge's today. They look to be in pretty good condition. The paint is old and flaking but the metal looks very good including the barrels. The bores are like new as far as I can see. The bolt on one looks barely used the other you can see the cartridge head stamp in the grease.

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Congrats skoda.I just received one today and the barrel looked great.BTW Im buying primarily for the barrels.Take care.

Traveler

UZI Talk Life Member
Nothing comes close to an original barrel.

There was a time when just the barrel sold for $400.

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Hey Traveler.Yeah I am trying to get a few extra original barrels.And your right about the 400.00 price.I saw a new factory MK4 on sturmgewer for sale for 1200.00.

Traveler

UZI Talk Life Member
The barrel importation ban isn’t doing us any favors. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, US companies would make the barrels. The problem is they haven’t been able to deliver products of equal quality. The hardness doesn’t come close. Maybe that’s not something they can fixed, but you would think the shallow rifling and other dimensions could be fixed.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
The barrel importation ban isn’t doing us any favors. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, US companies would make the barrels. The problem is they haven’t been able to deliver products of equal quality. The hardness doesn’t come close. Maybe that’s not something they can fixed, but you would think the shallow rifling and other dimensions could be fixed.

IMA says that their barrels are "Copied from 5 original British manufactured 9mm barrels this custom-made Sterling SMG barrel is the best on the market today. ". Seems like pretty weak engineering to me. What materials are they using and what kind of heat treatment? Tolerances?

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes I would be curious as to what specs they are going by,and if their adhering? to said specs.I would rather have an original barrel even it is at least 50 years old.

Traveler

UZI Talk Life Member
Whoever made these barrels is a pretty good machinist. The work is well done and the barrels look nice. I don’t know if they were not given the correct info or just cut corners to save a buck. Look at the chamber mouth for example. It is completely wrong.

There is no feed ramp on real Sterling barrels per se. The feed lips on the mag guide the bullets. There is a radius around the barrel chamber opening, so there are no sharp edges to contact the case, possibly binding or galling it as it angles into the chamber. The repro barrels don’t have the smooth radius. Instead they have an angled flat surface and a sharp edge at the chamber mouth. It’s just what you don’t want because sooner or later it will cause an out of battery.

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
I did not notice the chamber mouth at first in the IMA pics.Then I compared the picture with a original I have and can see the difference.Can the repo be fixed? not going to buy one just curious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter