OOB in a Lage 22 kit wrecks mags...

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
OOB in a Lage 22 kit wrecks mags (a warning)

so was shooting the Lage 22 kit this weekend and had an OOB with remington golden bullets.
of course, blew the extractor and plunger out, but left the spring. left the brass case (minus the rim) in the chamber. which was a bitch to get out. also apparently put enough "side pressure" on the mag that it cracked the top part of the mag at the first screw. which sucks. so I put the extractor/etc back together (actually found all the pieces as I was shooting on a rock patio) and got out another mag. I'd read that this was "common" -ish, so didnt think much about it.
happened again. and broke another mag.
since I'm not that bright (and shoot right handed), I decided to see if my kit would run without an extractor. so I kept shooting it.
good news, is that my kit will run without an extractor (suppressed), but apparently I found a bad batch of ammo.
since I'd already wrecked the mag and the small parts in the Lage kit, I decided to keep running it. out of every subsequent mag, I had between 2 and 5 OOB detonations. sometimes the gun would POP and keep running, sometimes it wouldnt. had several ruptured cases (blown out the rim), lots of cases "buldged" so it looked kinda like two rims at the bottom, and only one more where the whole rim separated from the case.
I did run two full mags of another batch of golden bullets and they ran perfectly.

anyways, that was my weekend.

think I can epoxy these mags back together? the feedlips only widen just a little bit and are still useable, but I'd like there to be zero flex and try to prevent the inevitable total break/loss of the mag.

oh. and in my "run it and see what happens" delerium, I apparently leaded the barrel with suppressed blow back crap, such that the liner barrel is now stuck in the Lage Max11 upper. I've been hitting it with breakfree a couple times since yesterday hoping it'll break it loose.

:abused

ETA: I changed the title so as to not give the impression there's any issues with the Lage kit. cuz there's not. kit runs like a top.

Last edited:

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
oh. and in my "run it and see what happens" delerium, I apparently leaded the barrel with suppressed blow back crap, such that the liner barrel is now stuck in the Lage Max11 upper. I've been hitting it with breakfree a couple times since yesterday hoping it'll break it loose.

:abused

You should check the inside of the barrel liner. There is a better chance that you ringed the .22 liner with over charged HV ammo than lead fouling.

Last edited:

shredswell

Not that I have any experience with FA, but I think epoxy would be fine on the mags. I've used various epoxies for everything from fixing motorcycle plastics to holding structural panels on trucks. If applied properly and the surfaces are clean and prepped, it can be stronger than welds. Really sucks you had to trash such an expensive setup. My experience with remington golden bullets has been horrible both for consistency and filthiness in semi autos. I'd imagine it's not so good on the supressor internals either.

fishtix

RGB does it to me all the time... although I have never had a mag damaged.

I've probably gone through 15 extractors / plunger setups with that ammo.

G43 Nut

Bought 4 bricks of RGB for my Lage and it doesn't run too well. My fault for buying bulk before the kit came to test with. My mosquito hates it too, as does my .22 AR. Just my GSG and 10/22 to try so I have something to burn them up.

I would think jb weld would work fine on the mag. What do you have to lose.

By the way my max 11/22 runs like a top on mini mags.

And for the barrel try luging it with bore butter before assembling. Comes right out.

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
Disassemble the mag's and use superglue. The mag's are made from glass filled polycarbonate and superglue works great on it. Don't glue your fingers to the mag' :)

The problem with continuing to run Remington Golden, when you have a bad batch that is blowing the rim out, is that you may not notice a squib round. If it blew out the rim, it may not have enough energy to propel the bullet all of the way down the chamber. Firing another round down the barrel may ring the barrel and make it very difficult to remove.

If you have a batch of Remington Golden that is blowing out the rims, STOP USING IT in the .22 kit! Shoot it in another gun or ship it to Remington for a refund. I have bricks of Remington Golden set aside to shoot in other guns.

I test fire each .22 kit manufactured and have tens of thousands of rounds through my personal kit. I have never ringed a barrel insert.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Well shit. I'll check for a ringed barrel.
This was probably my 5th? Box of golden. All others had been fine.

Thanks for the tip on the superglue, Richard!

Love this kit. Hopefully my eagerness to see what happened didn't screw me.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Update.
Well, there's good and bad news.
Good news is that I think I know what the problem is.
Bad news is that apparently the barrel liner is in fact ringed out towards the end of the 9mm barrel.
Worse news is that I'm sure the "dumbass tax" this is going to cost me is going to take all the play money I had that just got earmarked for the coastal mims can group buy. So no new can for me. :(

First, everyone get the 'you're a dumbass' out of the way. Cuz I know better than to keep shooting. Was just caught up in the "let's see what happens" moment. Lesson (painfully) learned.
Then, suggestions? Or does it just go back to Richard the Wizard?
The bolt won't come out so I can't try to unscrew the 9mm barrel. Lightly beating it with a woodblock isn't moving it.

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
Just ship it back. I do not charge for the labor to remove the barrel (including pressing it out of the 9mm barrel) and installing a new one, just the cost of the new .22 barrel insert and return shipping. I'll be gone for KCR this week so ship it next week.

Johnny Rotten

I too had problems this weekend, I shot 2 mags of RGB both mags 2-3 jams per mag, started on my 3rd mag after the firing approx 5-10 rounds a large bang, looked at the bolt area and noticed the extractor gone, packed it up and when I got home to clean it that's when I noticed I squibed a round or 2 inside the barrel.
Richard I sent you an email over the weekend about a new barrel, I see you are at KCR when you return please shoot me the cost.

Garrett

I know Richard recommends RGB, but that stuff is really crap ammo. I've had good results in the standard (not MAX11) M11/22 kit using Fed bulk pack, Minimag, and Stingers. I had a number of OOB detonations with Dynapoint, but since the Minimag and Fed stuff stay subsonic, I'll save the Dynapoint for other suppressed guns.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I've probably shot 5 different boxes (so 2500 rounds) of the RGB and maybe 3? boxes of the federal blue box bulk pack. until this past weekend, both had performed the same (ie no issues, maybe the occassionaly dud for whatever reason). so when I found a sale on the RGB I bought pretty aggressively. then cabelas had a good sale on the fed and I had already spent my ammo allowance for a while. :/
I will say that it appears (to me anyways) that the "copper washed" bullets dont lead the suppressors as bad as pure lead bullets.

fishtix

I just have terrible luck with all RGB. I do most of my shooting in Nebraska, AZ and TX (visiting family and lucky to have great places to shoot nearby) and every time I buy RGB it never fails to blow extractors. I always buy ammo local so I don't have to fly with it. However, I never have extractor issues with Rem Subsonics while running a can and CCI SV runs great as well.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
update:
my jacked up upper arrived at Lage's monday. included a blank check, you know, because they'll need payment and I trust them. just got an email from jackie telling me how much fixing my screwup will be (amount written on the check) and shipping. package probably going out today. price was more than reasonable. and I'm sure the work will be better than described/expected.
that's customer service!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter