New guy here

m16ty

New to the forum, but not new to the MAC platform. I've owned a M11/9 since 1998.

Back before the turn of the century, I started looking around to try to get into the machine gun world. I became good friends with a local FFL/SOT, and he ran across a deal of 10 NIB M11/9. He didn't want to tie up that much money on them, but the deal was you had to buy all 10 for $1,000 each. At the time the M11/9 was bringing $1,200 to $1,500 each on the market. He made a deal with me that I could buy them, and he would keep them in his inventory until I sold them (to keep me from having to pay the $200 tax times 10). All he wanted out of the deal is the transfers. I went ahead and sold 3 of them, and I did the transfer on one of them for me to keep.

After the first 3 sold rather quickly, I was starting to sit on the remaining 6 for awhile. Then, my FFL buddy called me up one day and said he saw a ad where a guy had a Colt M16a1 and was open to trades on other machine guns. I offered the guy 6 NIB M11/9 for the M16, and he took me up on it.

The M11/9 was fun for a first machine gun, but lets be honest, it isn't the ideal machine gun in stock form. Once I got the M16, I pretty much lost all interest in the MAC. Never even considered selling it, because a transferable machine gun is better than gold as far as a investment, but it pretty much just sat in my safe collecting dust.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I stumbled a video featuring the Lage Max-31. When I saw that I saw where I could turn the M11/9 into something not only cool looking, but also turn it into a practical gun. I ordered the Max-31 upper, and in the meantime started hunting for mags. I quickly found out that the Suomi drum mags aren't as plentiful and cheap as the Lage website makes out. I did find 4 that weren't too expensive, but I'd like to have more.

My Max-31 upper finally came in and it is indeed a game changer. Now I just have to find a optic for it. What is everybody running for optics? I've got a Eotech on one of my ARs and really like the reticle on it, but battery life is awful. I'm leaning toward trying a Aimpoint on the M11.

Donut77donut

2Pj4WBm.jpg

My 10-31 has a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Welcome.

On my SMGs uppers, I only use Holosuns. 50,000 hours use and haven't broken one yet.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Welcome to UT.

You missed the boat on 20 dollar suomi drums.

Keep a eye on Clearview investments they will run a sale or did every so often for 64 per drum

I have the M10 10/31 upper .
I have the RTG H&K 91 sights on it right now ( last coupe of years )
But like the cheap drums they will be hard to find and im not even sure they are in production anymore.

I've used a few optics of the cheaper kind and never had a problem.
Plan on a acog rmr sooner or later.

But I really like the H&K open sights.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Cheap Chinese Holosuns are good and bushnell’s trs-25 is also good.

If your worried about battery life, I’ve got those holosuns with solar panels and I don’t even use a battery in them. I’m not sure the model but they’re good to go.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Good intro - I enjoyed reading your story
Welcome to UT!

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
First welcome to the forum. Lage Manufacturing makes some great products. There is more going on for the Mac style family of RRs than slow fire pistol caliber uppers. While you have a M16, Lage also makes an upper based on the AR barrel and bolt group that fires from an open bolt. There was also a member here that sold factory style bolts made from a tungsten alloy. In the factory upper, with the fullsize tungsten bolt, the cyclic rate could be made to under 600 RPM. Sadly he has passed away. His distributor is looking to resurrect the project. There are also others working on projects beyond what a registered receiver M16 can do. If you have the time, do some poking around. It is my understanding that the M11/NINE represents 10% of all transferable machineguns in the NFA registry. At around a quarter of the market value of the M16, I would think more innovation is coming. Hopefully, some of that will be from me.

Scott.

SecondAmend

Greetings.
For an optic, the newer EoTechs seem to have longer battery life that the older ones. For an optic that simulates an EoTech reticle pattern at a lower cost (reflex not holographic imagery), the Sight Mark M-SPEC model is something you may wish to consider. Also, the red dot reflex Bushnell TRS-25 sight was supplanted by the TRS-26 several years ago.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

10mmlover

I've got a Holosun 510c on my Lage upper. Big view finder which is helpful with a machinegun and the battery life is great because it has solar as well.

m16ty

First welcome to the forum. Lage Manufacturing makes some great products. There is more going on for the Mac style family of RRs than slow fire pistol caliber uppers. While you have a M16, Lage also makes an upper based on the AR barrel and bolt group that fires from an open bolt. There was also a member here that sold factory style bolts made from a tungsten alloy. In the factory upper, with the fullsize tungsten bolt, the cyclic rate could be made to under 600 RPM. Sadly he has passed away. His distributor is looking to resurrect the project. There are also others working on projects beyond what a registered receiver M16 can do. If you have the time, do some poking around. It is my understanding that the M11/NINE represents 10% of all transferable machineguns in the NFA registry. At around a quarter of the market value of the M16, I would think more innovation is coming. Hopefully, some of that will be from me.

Scott.

I really don't see many advantages the Lage .556 upper offers over the M16, other than open bolts tend to run a little cooler that closed bolts. I would think the main market for them would be people wanting a .556 machine gun without having to shell out the cost of a M16. Although I've always wanted to build a "light machine gun" setup. The open bolt Lage could be a good platform for that.

It seems the MAC lower receivers are becoming like the HK sear packs of back in the day. As a result, I could see transferable MACs increasing in value ahead of other transferables.

m16ty

Greetings.
For an optic, the newer EoTechs seem to have longer battery life that the older ones. For an optic that simulates an EoTech reticle pattern at a lower cost (reflex not holographic imagery), the Sight Mark M-SPEC model is something you may wish to consider. Also, the red dot reflex Bushnell TRS-25 sight was supplanted by the TRS-26 several years ago.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

I've looked into the Sight Mark before, and I may try one.

I just haven't every really cared for the Holosun. They just look cheap to me and the name just screams China. People that have them give them good reviews though.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
I've looked into the Sight Mark before, and I may try one.

I have two MAX-31 uppers (one for an M11/9 and one for an M11A1) -- I run one with open sights, and the other has a Sightmark on it... they're fine. On my MAX-11 upper (and on other guns) I have a Primary Arms red dot, but I also like the shake-awake Holosuns. I have *one* Eotech on an AR in my collection, but I don't much care for it.

Pmergler

I would think the main market for them would be people wanting a .556 machine gun without having to shell out the cost of a M16.

bingo for me and why I picked up the Max11/15 for my Mac11/9! As mentioned by other posters it is cool with the Lage upper that you can switch out for 300BLK barrel and run a full auto 300BLK. I am not an M16 owner, but would be curious if the goal for someone was to run FA .300BLK, would it be better to barrel swap on your Lage upper for Mac or your M16? Or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen another, just use a standard AR .300BLK upper and put it on your FA M16 lower and done?

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Tom (VegasSMG) told me he loved his transaferable M16 but every time he took it to the range he was worried about something happening to his $35,000 lower. That and he knew the life span of his lower.

He loved Richard's and Scott's uppers because they cost a lot less and M11 steel lowers were cheaper and easier to fix.

I'm still on a new toy high here but I love the Max-11A1/15. I ordered another 5K freedom seeds because it's really fun to shoot it.

pjm204

Palmetto State Armory has the Sig Romeo 7S for $99 right now. Could be a decent option.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
bingo for me and why I picked up the Max11/15 for my Mac11/9! As mentioned by other posters it is cool with the Lage upper that you can switch out for 300BLK barrel and run a full auto 300BLK. I am not an M16 owner, but would be curious if the goal for someone was to run FA .300BLK, would it be better to barrel swap on your Lage upper for Mac or your M16? Or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen another, just use a standard AR .300BLK upper and put it on your FA M16 lower and done?

For a m16? Just swap uppers. Why go to the trouble of changing the barrel out

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
I really don't see many advantages the Lage .556 upper offers over the M16, other than open bolts tend to run a little cooler that closed bolts. I would think the main market for them would be people wanting a .556 machine gun without having to shell out the cost of a M16. Although I've always wanted to build a "light machine gun" setup. The open bolt Lage could be a good platform for that.

It seems the MAC lower receivers are becoming like the HK sear packs of back in the day. As a result, I could see transferable MACs increasing in value ahead of other transferables.

You certainly have some good points. Personally, I am a guy who likes to push boundaries. I bought a DIAS and sold my Colt M16 because I found the magwell of the registered receiver "limiting". We are working on a resubmition of the Tenko adapter. The M10 is the first model of the Mac style family of RRs that this adapter has been created for. This adapter when installed on a M10 lower gives the functionality of a M16 RR. Change the AR-15/M16 upper, change calibers. But the part that would take the magazine/ beltfed mech (Valkyrie Armaments beltfed conversion is on the back burner) is not the registered part. We have developed a quick change mechanism to allow for both open and closed bolt function that we are currently testing. IMHO, because of the design of the Mac style family of RRs, they could become even more versatile than a HK trigger pack. The HK trigger frame/sear is a conversion device for a specific family of firearms. So the ATF seems to think that a HK transferable machinegun conversion device can only be used in a HK roller delayed firearm receiver. I am not here to debate this point. But if another firearm's mechanism is adapted to the Mac style RR, without becoming a firearm itself, this could open many possibilities. YMMV.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions L.L.C.

m16ty

Tom (VegasSMG) told me he loved his transaferable M16 but every time he took it to the range he was worried about something happening to his $35,000 lower. That and he knew the life span of his lower.

He loved Richard's and Scott's uppers because they cost a lot less and M11 steel lowers were cheaper and easier to fix.

I'm still on a new toy high here but I love the Max-11A1/15. I ordered another 5K freedom seeds because it's really fun to shoot it.

That's a good point and I do have a little worry in the back of my mind every time I take out the M16. The fact is though, I don't know how bad you would have to tear up a registered receiver to make it unrepairable, but it would take a very catastrophic event.

I almost enjoy letting other people shoot my full autos as much as shooting them myself, especially people that have never shot full auto before. I used to even supply the ammo, but it recent years I make them supply what they shoot. I always ask them before I hand it to them if they have ever held and shot a $35,000 gun. I then tell them I'm fixing to hand them one and treat it as such.

m16ty

6 of one and 1/2 dozen the other. I've never had the desire to shoot .300BLK full auto though. I guess it might be cool to go subsonic full auto with a suppressor, but I don't own any suppressors.

Only time I ever shot suppressed full auto is when a buddy of mine wanted to try his .223 suppressor on my M16. I told him I thought it was a bad idea, but he wanted to try it. He did a mag dump with it, suppressor loosened a little during the process, and he wound up with a baffle strike.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter