M11/9 Shockwave mags

Kkontx

I have some M11/9 shockwave mags that I bought brand new. I know these are supposed to be self leveling feed lips. I cycled the bolt on the empty magizines quite a few times. When I took them out for the first time on my Max11k upper, it jammed up just a few times and then they have been running flawless. 147gr subs with a suppressor.

I am using the same magazines on the Max 11 mk2 upper (147gr with NO supressor). I can't get past the first round and sometimes 3-5 rounds before it jams up. Round is 3/4 in the chamber with the bolt stopped short of closing.

It seems like the magazines hang up more on this upper. Could the issue be the subs without the additional backpressure from the suppressor? Or is there something else I can do to the bolt or magazines to get them to function better.

Next time out I will try 124 grain supersonic to see if that makes any difference.

Slowmo

Do you identify your magazines in a way where you can tell them apart (such as numbering them)? That might be a start. Maybe try hotter ammo with one mag and see if it wears in? There may be a subtle tolerance difference between the two uppers.

Kkontx

Bought about 15 mags, but only have the 5 shockwaves that I have opened and cycled through and 2 zytel mags. All 5 shockwaves and 2 zytels work on the max11k. Tried all 7 mags on the Max 11 mk2 today and had the same results with it rubbing on the bolt.

Good idea, will probably mark one of the shockwave mags to try next time and work through with the hotter ammo and see if that makes any difference after a bit.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Dry cycle a couple of them a 50 times. Or, if you see where they are dragging slowly file the feed lips where it is dragging. Then dry fire a few more times, if it’s still dragging, file a little more. Go slow, and only take what is necessary. Once you get a couple fitted, try them, and use those in that upper…

GunsCarsPlanes

I think there is a procedure to "bed" the mags in or something, lemme see if I can find it.

*edit - not exactly the mags you're talking about but maybe the same concept applies??

MPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS for your new Shockwave Technologies ZMAG’s or DC-31 Magazines : The ZMAG is a “self-leveling” magazine. Since DC-31 magazines are made with ZMAG’s they are also self-leveling. The ZMAG’s were designed to ensure that the bullets sit as high as possible so the bolt strips them from the magazine reliably. Due to this design the feedlips on the magazine may rub on the bolt. If your bolt closes when you insert the ZMAG or DC-31 magazine, you’re good to go. There are situations where a ZMAG or DC-31 magazine might sit too high in a particular firearm and the bolt hits the feedlips and stops. To remedy this, on an empty magazine, hand cycle the bolt about 50 times. This can easily be done by holding the trigger down and quickly working the bolt back and forth. Once the bolt freely clears the feedlips the magazine has been self-leveled and you are ready to shoot.

Kkontx

Won't be able to get out to the range until possiblt this weekend to test the mags out. I did try reprofiling a new magazine like the above PS video. That seemed to help quite a bit but will need to test it out to be sure.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I do it in 2 stages. Stage one I just slam the bolt home until it clears, then do that maybe 10 times more. Then I rest the bottom of the mag on my knee and press up then do it all over again until that clears too. This has proved foolproof.

Afterwards consider lightly filing the edges off the maglips as they can be quite sharp.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter