M11/9 Question

JwestAK

UZI Talk Supporter
Hello All,

I am currently looking at an M11/9 for sale. It is an 86 manufacture, and from the pictures it appears that at one point the right side of the receiver had a hole drilled and then welded up where the between the fire/safe markings. Nothing else in the pictures indicate it was a pre 86 forum one build and appears factory SWD. Is this a common thing to see, and should one be concerned with it?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Picture added

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Garrett

Pretty common. In the rush to get as many receivers registered in the month leading up to the ‘86 ban, SWD took a bunch of existing semi-auto receiver flats, welded up the (semi-auto) safety selector hole, and converted to full-auto spec.

JwestAK

UZI Talk Supporter
Pretty common. In the rush to get as many receivers registered in the month leading up to the ‘86 ban, SWD took a bunch of existing semi-auto receiver flats, welded up the (semi-auto) safety selector hole, and converted to full-auto spec.
Appreciate the insight. Just wanted to make sure it was not something that has known to weaken the receiver and should be shied away from.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
Mine was made in the last week or so and the semi-auto hammer hole is still there. I'm glad that they cranked them out.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Page 315 in the MacMan book speaks about this specifically on the M11/Nine
IMG_1582.jpg

as a side note I’ve seen 85,& 86 with the hammer holes and welded semi-selectors. I haven’t seen a converted ‘83, don’t recall ‘84 firmly but think I have…

My ‘86 was made prior to the announcement that MGs would be cut off, it’s before the “rush” period mine being 86-00084XX (per the Mac book) and you can see business as usual… they converted semi-frames to full auto, at will for years. I’ve seen countless this way. No issue with structural integrity due to this weld.
IMG_1583.jpg

Last edited:

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
why did it need to be welded up?
Cosmetic.

Otherwise you’d have a big gaping hole letting anyone (that knew) at a quick glance it’s not factory converted.

Like this guy that made a (sloppy) post sample.

IMG_1584.jpg

JackBlundell

Appreciate the insight. Just wanted to make sure it was not something that has known to weaken the receiver and should be shied away from.

No worries regarding durability. I have one of the late '86 weld-ups. I've run almost 80,000 rounds through mine with no sign of wear on the receiver, and I am not its first owner.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Cosmetic.

Otherwise you’d have a big gaping hole letting anyone (that knew) at a quick glance it’s not factory converted.

Like this guy that made a (sloppy) post sample.

View attachment 39106

Page 315 in the MacMan book speaks about this specifically on the M11/Nine
View attachment 39104

as a side note I’ve seen 85,& 86 with the hammer holes and welded semi-selectors. I haven’t seen a converted ‘83, don’t recall ‘84 firmly but think I have…

My ‘86 was made prior to the announcement that MGs would be cut off, it’s before the “rush” period mine being 86-00084XX (per the Mac book) and you can see business as usual… they converted semi-frames to full auto, at will for years. I’ve seen countless this way. No issue with structural integrity due to this weld.
View attachment 39105

Basically ALL of the 11/9 SMGs had the hammer holes. You have to go back really early 1983 to find 11/9s that lack the hammer holes. It seems that the hammer holes were pre-stamped into the frame flats and all of the flats had them, with the exception of the earliest of SMG frames. I have only ever noticed the welded over selector holes on the 86 guns.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter