Just bought my first HK rifle!

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Just picked up an HK SL8! I love it! Just sold my AK, selling my AR Bushy, but I came across this rifle and fell in love with it! It came with the G36 bipod forearm, a soft case, 2 mags, and the allen tool.

I want to put the AR mag conversion kit on it. Probably dye it black, and mount a scope on it. Pics soon!

Does anyone else have this rifle? What mods have you done?

Thanks!

M_J

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
Hey, welcome to SL 8 land!!! I bought mine at a local gunshop for $600 unfired, with one magazine. I added the soft case and, keeping in the German theme, a Docter Optics 3-9 scope. For the bucks these are great, if you are interested in one, drop me a line, my have an inside line on one if you are interested.

I too would like to do the AR mag conversion but have a few more priorities for my 300 bucks than that.

I have on order a Vortec AR 15/M 16 flash hider that a gunsmith friend is going to put on the barrel, i just hate the naked barrel look.

Going to leave my the original Gray, i LIKE the color, besides i need something other than a evil black rifle, this will be an evil gray one!!

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
I looked at those once, but hated it because my hands don't fit right in the "thumbhole" stock.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
I've got one! The SL8-1 is a great rifle. Very fun to shoot. Very clean. I did the full conversion on mine: hicap mag conversion, G36 style stock, black dye job, G36 forearm with tripod, HK dual sight system, barrel shorten and fake suppressor installed.

If you do a full conversion, make sure you want to keep the gun because you'll never get your money back out of it. All the conversion parts really add up.

SL8G36.JPG

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
I absolutely hate thumbhole stocks but this one fits me pretty well. With the 3-9 scope its at least on equal footing with my target AR 15.

I was tempted by the conversions myself, and i fully intend to get the AR 15 mag conversion but the dye job/stock is WAY down on my priority list. This is an awesome rifle, very accurate and "different", most people have never seen one.

Being a HK of course means you will NEVER get a deal on any spare parts or accessories!!!

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Dave, nice looking rifle! What kind of mag is that? I know what you mean about keeping it. $600 to do it. I'm looking at possibly getting it coated (scope and everything, get rid of that glossy finish) in an urban camo tigerstripe. Figure I would get some weird looks at the range with that one.;)

LVHospiceRN - After shooting the SL8 a few times with the thumbhole stock I like it as well. However, they won't sell the mag kit without the stock.

I have the scope at the below link:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=78&t=140628

How does it compare to the Doctor Optics you have LVHospiceRN?

I want to use Arms #22 quick throw lever rings, which do you recommend, HI, MED, or LO height?

Thanks!

M_J

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
That's an Eaton mag in the photo. They aren't the best mags but the dark semi-transparent mag body has the right G36 sort of look. I normally use aluminum GI mags when I shoot it.

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
If the AWB does go away, it will be legal to install a G36 lower and use G36 mags right? I hear they are super reliable.

M_J

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Even if the '94 ban goes away, you still have the '89 ban on imported assault weapons. The only way you can do a hicap mag conversion on this gun is to reduce the imported parts count. That's easier to do when you are using US made AR-15 mags. If you want to increase the US parts count in other ways, then it would be possible to use G36 mags. G36 mags are LEO now but could become available if the '94 ban goes away.

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
I just put a higher cheek weld on last night, and extended the stock. It is so comfortable now!

Dave, does the aftermarket stock on your G36 Clone have any adjustability? I think I might buy the kit, but sell the stock keeping the mag conversion kit.

Can you use the G36 sight rail with the gray civ stock?

I love taking this rifle to the range. I get so many comments on it. :)

M_J

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
The G36 clone stock has no adjustments at all. It's also a little on the long side. A number of people complained about that when they first came out.

Yes, you can use any of the HK sighting systems designed for the G36, regardless of whether you swap out the stock or not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter