How to change out barrel or muzzle on max 11/15?

ScubaLoser

So I just took ownership of a Max 11/15, and I’m wanting to swap out the muzzle for a keymo brake so that I can run my suppressor on it. When I do this on my ARs I usually have the upper on a Midwest reaction rod to hold everything together in alignment. I don’t have my tools setup but seeing that the 11/15 utilizes a standard AR barrel and gas tube I would assume it’ll work? I’m worried of over torque the muzzle or barrel nut in the event I change either one. Any input is appreciated.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Lage sell the vice blocks to remove the AR barrel from his upper receiver. Lage also sells a 30mm Crowfoot Wrench for the barrel nut.

https://www.max-11.com/556Uppers.php

viseblocks.jpeg

Removing a muzzle device requires putting the barrel in a vice with barrel blocks and using a wrench to loosen the device.

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Personally, when changing a muzzle device, I use a set of aluminum vice blocks on the barrel. I wrap the barrel with an old leather belt so I don't have to clean aluminum off the parkerized finish. That way I am not torking on the upper with the index pin of the barrel.

Scott

Deerhurst

Scott, I'd say your way is the way that puts stress on the index pin. The nut doesn't touch the pin, it's screws to the receiver. By holding the receiver you put no load on the pin, all the load is from the barrel nut to the receiver which needs to be torqued down. By holding by the barrel the only thing resisting the receiver from spinning as you snug down the nut is the barrel pin.

You should not have any reason to use the barrel to prevent the receiver from spinning as you snug down the barrel nut.

Pulling the muzzle device off, always grab the barrel.

I hope I'm following what's going on here, barrel removal, right?

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member

LawBob

Personally, when changing a muzzle device, I use a set of aluminum vice blocks on the barrel. I wrap the barrel with an old leather belt so I don't have to clean aluminum off the parkerized finish. That way I am not torking on the upper with the index pin of the barrel.

Scott

Use a reaction rod

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
I'll second the reaction rod; completely solid, no slipping. Indispensable for any AR type barrel/ upper work.

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
At $35, our vise inserts are less expensive. We place the upper in the vise blocks when installing or removing the barrel or flash hider.

I don’t know if the Reaction Rod is long enough to reach through the back of our uppers to engage the barrel extension. AR uppers are shorter.

NAM

I feel stupid asking this, but do you have photos of the vise blocks in use? I have a set for my MAX-10/15, but having a hard time making the contours match (I've used other action blocks before, but these just don't seem to line up). Are the blocks different for 10/15 vs 11/15 or 11A1/15?

NAM

C7ImmrL.png

Jackie just sent over a photo. I was close!

LawBob

Lage sell the vice blocks to remove the AR barrel from his upper receiver. Lage also sells a 30mm Crowfoot Wrench for the barrel nut.

https://www.max-11.com/556Uppers.php

viseblocks.jpeg

Removing a muzzle device requires putting the barrel in a vice with barrel blocks and using a wrench to loosen the device.

Or use a reaction rod. https://geissele.com/reaction-rod-5-56-223.html

I think there’s someone who makes a knock off

Note Jackie said they may not be long enough

Don’t use a standard magwell insert vice block bc the lower receiver is clam shell.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter