Holding Max31k in Vice?

Ericoak

I want to remove the muzzle device on my Max-31k. Was planning on clamping the upper receiver between blocks of wood in a vice. Do I need to put another wrench on the barrel to keep the barrel from unscrewing?

Also, what wrench do you guys use? The wrenches I had handy didn't fit in the small gap between the barrel flat and the muzzle device.

Garrett

Also, what wrench do you guys use? The wrenches I had handy didn't fit in the small gap between the barrel flat and the muzzle device.
Buy a cheap set of wrenches and grind them until they are narrow enough until they fit.

You might be just fine clamping the receiver in a vice... unless you’re not. Wrecking a couple cheap wrenches is much preferable to wrecking your MAX-31. And the wrenches are not really even wrecked. They will now be your custom barrel wrenches.

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
You can hold it lightly in a padded vise, but I would use a 3/4” wrench on the barrel and another on the muzzle device to remove it. If you are removing a muzzle device from a Mk1 steel receiver, I would put the bolt assembly in the upper to help prevent it from getting crushed/deformed.

GunsCarsPlanes

You can hold it lightly in a padded vise, but I would use a 3/4” wrench on the barrel and another on the muzzle device to remove it. If you are removing a muzzle device from a Mk1 steel receiver, I would put the bolt assembly in the upper to help prevent it from getting crushed/deformed.
I was just wondering yesterday... is there a crush washer between the barrel & max31 muzzle device?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
The thin wrenches I use for muzzle devices are called tappet wrenches. They are thinner than a standard combination wrench. The tappet wrench fits the notch in a muzzle device and you don't have to worry about ruining the heat treatment of the wrench grinding it thin enough to work on the muzzle device.

Scott

Ericoak

So I'm looking at the Lage tri lug attachment (they don't make a tri lug barrel :() and there are no wrench flats. How am I supposed to snug this thing down so it doesn't come off?

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
So I'm looking at the Lage tri lug attachment (they don't make a tri lug barrel :() and there are no wrench flats. How am I supposed to snug this thing down so it doesn't come off?

A 3-lug wrench
I have this one and can vouch for it - HKP 3 Lug Adapter Wrench
There's also this one for much less - 3 LUG TOOL
Don't forget the RockSett or Red Loctite

Good luck

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter