Have Colt M16A2s broke the $40,000 mark?

secondofangle

When exploring ways to fund another item last week I responded to a WTB ad for m16a2 and sent pics of a NIB original colt grey carbine with original aluminum staked acrylic-covered sliding stock, etc. I put a provisional asking price of $36,500. Turns out the WTB was a dealer on behalf of a buyer. He was all over it but I secured different funding for the other item so no deal. I’m glad because I didn’t want to part with that A2 (or any MG for that matter, especially in current “climate”)

Assuming a dealer premium of 10%, this puts an A2 (granted a very fine specimen) in $40,000 territory.

Just FYI for anybody in the market for an A2.

Last edited:

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Was wonder that when I saw this A2 close the other week for a retarded amount. It was a Penny start!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901241165

8ff16891_729c_4f1e_bcbd_9d5c4c8eee9e_0e28f9a6595e2b71acefded7e70faaaab6e8ad0b.png

secondofangle

Sweet mother of Jesus. $62K. And that's basically my gun, but mine is in better condition.

Makes me wonder: a.) if this isn't a confederate auction to serve as "proof" of high prices for another deal; or b.) it's just some retarded buyer who doesn't get it, however another retarded buyer must have been bidding against him so there's at least 2

Which makes me glad I did not sell my A2 for $36k

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
It has been estimated that the Feds will have spent almost $42,000 per taxpayer in 'Covid Relief', much of that being in the form of direct payments to people or business. But they couldn't spend much on cars, travel, Vegas, football games / Super Bowl...so what the hell - "I'm finally gonna but that Colt / MAC / Python I always wanted!!....."

Surely some of that went into the NFA market, especially with the known Anti-2A folks more or less now in charge.

sweersa

I plan on getting a Colt M16A1 eventually for my Colt M4 parts kit. (I'd nicely pack away the A1 upper, stock, grip, etc.) whilst using the lower on the M4 kit.

My guess, the above will be a reality for me in the next few years financially. (Not including the NFA wait, add a year or more for that)

rentprop1

Sweet mother of Jesus. $62K. And that's basically my gun, but mine is in better condition.

Makes me wonder: a.) if this isn't a confederate auction to serve as "proof" of high prices for another deal; or b.) it's just some retarded buyer who doesn't get it, however another retarded buyer must have been bidding against him so there's at least 2

Which makes me glad I did not sell my A2 for $36k

I can tell you that (a) doesn't happen anymore due to Gun Broker acting as a Marketplace facilitator with sales tax.....trust me, no one wants to pay sales tax on 62k.....Gb collects it so there is no way to dodge it, unless you are in one of the 7 exempt states.

Bret

I can tell you that (a) doesn't happen anymore due to Gun Broker acting as a Marketplace facilitator with sales tax.....trust me, no one wants to pay sales tax on 62k.....
Not to mention the auction fee that the seller would have to pay.

That seems high to me, but with the way the Fed is printing money it was bound to happen. One thing to keep in mind about the M16A2's is that many have the A1 style forging reinforcements. They're not really A2's in my opinion, though the receivers are in fact marked that way.

Here's a real A2 that being auctioned right now. It will be interesting to see how high it goes.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902523065

secondofangle

excellent, I didn't see that one and I've been on GB all day, thanks for posting. I'd like to see the date code on that barrel. The magazine is from 2008, I'm not sure the manual is pre-86 or not, and the bayonet was obviously issued to somebody who marked on it, but the seller is so pleased with it that he takes 8 close-ups of it.

The gun has correct Colt Grey and manufacturer markings. I'd just love to see if the barrel has a date coded on it. Just to see if the upper has been swapped over the years.

Good find!

Benaj

Sienna Armory has been getting some high prices in transferable guns this week.

He is a great seller though! Bought a gun from him
Before so his auctions are legit!

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Sienna Armory has been getting some high prices in transferable guns this week.

He is a great seller though! Bought a gun from him
Before so his auctions are legit!
Being a previous customer, is $62k for a Colt A2 reasonable?

secondofangle

His auctions are successful because he starts at one Penny with no reserve - a proper auction, shown to work over and over.

As far as the MGPG goes, it hasn’t been updated since Aug 2020 and since that time NO major dealer has had one in stock.

I do think 62k is outrageous, but there were a dozen different bidders on that gun and more than 1/2 dozen bid above $50k - look at the bid history.

Also, other than being an Auto marked A2 carbine, that gun was not very special and not is mint condition by any means.

I suppose when there is only one on the market at a given time, the sky is the limit. We will have to see what happens over the next 12 months to get a sense of what’s going on.

Meanwhile if you want one I’d jump on an A1 for $30k or a conversion for $22-25k before it’s too late.

3154tm

UZI Talk Supporter
wonder how the market for other brands of registered receivers is doing in todays market? doesn't seem to be much to choose from.

Bret

Their bid histories check out. I think this sort of thing is the result of all the cash that has been dumped in to the markets by the fed. Most of the price to earning ratios in the stock market do not justify the stock prices, but they're high anyway.

secondofangle

do you mind stating what you paid and for what and on what date so that we can calibrate our expectations?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Pretty much the definition of inflation: too many dollars chasing too few goods.

Isn't that the definition of a transferable machinegun? How much would Colt charge a law enforcement agency for a Post Sample A2 M16 carbine? $1,200? This discussion is concerning the market value of a transferable A2 M16 carbine. Yet the market value seems to be somewhere around 50 times the value of a new one.

Auctions are their own world. It is not about the actual market value of the item. It is about how much the bidder is willing to pay for that specific item that one or more auction attendees also want. To me that is not market value. YMMV.

Scott

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter