Have A Glock 23, Now What?

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
Okay, so i got a deal and now am the proud (?) owner of a Glock Model 23 (40 S&W Compact). Problem is i dont really LIKE Glocks.

Okay, this one is in pretty good shape, couple a Hi Caps, so it holds more than "American Express", my name for my daily carry HK USP in .40 S&W.

Okay, its a bit smaller, a bit lighter...

Lack of an manual external safety kinda weird, but i HEAR its safe...

So Monday or so we are going shooting to see if we bond..not sure I WANT to replace "American Express" at this point, let alone is this a suitable replacement.

So anyone else have experience with Glocks in general or Model 23's in particular? If we dont bond fairly quickly, it's on the auction block for it...Me and "American Express" are buddies now!

:thumbs_up

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
You either love Glocks or hate them. I've got a model 22 and love it. If you decide to dump it, get in touch, I may have an interest.

salvo

I have a 23 it has been my primary carry weapon since I bought it new in 1993, I have shot it alot! not one jamb in 10 years. The best way to describe the 23 is efficient.....compact size, high capacity with a .40 caliber hole puncher. If you end up not liking the 23 never buy a Glock again cause the 23 in my opinion has all the best atributes of all the glocks sqeezed into one compact package. For back up, I carry a 27 even smaller and a great shooter to boot.
I'm trying to like USP's but not having much luck. Bought a 40F and traded it for a 9F. The 9F will be going by by also one of these days. Guess I was just expecting to much from H&K, I'll stick with Glock from now on.

LVHospiceRN

UZI Talk Supporter
Absolutely love the HK! While the Glock is a tad bit smaller, it's a whole lot uglier. Had the HK for almost five years with no jams/misfeeds either. I carry a 40C daily and also have a full size .40 that is just fun to shoot!

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Another gun people either love or hate is the Steyr M40 / M9 series. Built well (hey, it's Swiss) and very reliable from what I've been told, but lots of people have issues with the grip angle and the trapezoidal sights.

I bought a M40 with night sights NIB for $349 from CDNN. Took some getting used to, but now I can drill bulls consistently with it. I think the grip angle actually helps reaquisition time - for me at least.

salvo

LVHospiceRN, I agree the USP is much better to look at. I just dont like the feel of the trigger and the way the finish wears on the top of the barrel chamber. The brass must hit the outside of the extractor and dings it up also. Glocks have none of these issues. Probably just a personal thing and what gun you get used to first.

MuzzleFlash, I sure like the looks of the Steyr, are they still making them? I seem to remember a wile back gun shops where selling them pretty cheap as closeouts or am I thinking of something else?

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
salvo said:
MuzzleFlash, I sure like the looks of the Steyr, are they still making them? I seem to remember a wile back gun shops where selling them pretty cheap as closeouts or am I thinking of something else?
I have heard they stopped when the parent company went BK. But others have said that the factory is up and going and the importer was the one that went BK. Anyhow, they were going at really good prices for awhile. CDNN has 'em for $289 in quantities of 4 or higher, $299 for 1-3. Add $50 for night sites. Not bad even if they're closeouts.

My brother is a cop and he got the LE special that includes 4 hi-cap LEO mags at the above prices. Oh the injustice of it all!!!....
:boohoo

SMG4Me

UZI Talk Supporter
I had a Glock 23 but I could never get a good enough grip on it. It moved in my hand such that I had to reposition my grip after each shot. I sold it to buy a Sig P229. I couldn't say enough great stuff about the Sig. Absolutely my favorite handgun. A natural shooter right out of the box - I shot this gun more accurately the first time I picked it up than any gun before (although, I was only a few years into shooting at the time).

Generally speaking I really like the Glocks. I have a G17 that I love but it obviously is a little big for carry. I really enjoy it at the range though and its performance and reliability have been flawless. The only issues I've seen are stovepipes when the gun is limp wristed (e.g., if my wife shoots it).

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Glocks

I've had a 17, 19, and I still have a 26 I use for daily carry when my clothing doesn't permit my 1911. Great weapons though. You can fire hundreds of rounds through them without a malfuntion and they hide real well for CC.

If you find it shifts in your hand, try a Hogue slip on. Made a world of difference on my 19, and I still have one on my H&K Tactical.

Just my couple pennies.:)

M_J

YAT-YAZ

FFL/C&R
Been a 1911A1,Glock23-30-21-19-20-26-27,user for years.I have recently tested (at an L.E. shoot)and then purchased ,a SW99 compact .40 It was an outstanding shooter,I found the de-cocker handy,and the set-up for next shots outstanding.Try one,you will be surprised.

jt325i

The only good thing I can say about Glocks..... there is always a sucker out there who will buy one used. I'd trade it off the first chance you get. The .40 Glocks are also the ones that commit the most Kb's.

Paul556

UZI Talk Supporter
LVHospiceRN said:
Have a Glock23, Now What?

That's easy, a Glock 35. :D You should get a rail mounted light. I like the M3. The light weight will will probably win your heart. My brother even suffs his (23) into an ankle holster. I stick to my 27 for that. Shoot it and you at one point say "Hey! Why isn't it jamming." I wouldn't worry too much about KB's unless you like feeding it funky ammo. Check out Glock Talk if you want more info on KB's. I am sure they will have some info on the subject.

SMG4Me

UZI Talk Supporter
BTW, if it matters to you, you aren't supposed to reload for the Glock .40s. I don't exactly remember why but I think it has something to do with the chamber not fully supporting the cartridge or something like that.

I didn't discover the hogue grip until after I parted with the G23 but as much as I like the glocks, I wouldn't trade my Sig229 for anything. I use the hogue grip on my G17 and it works great. I also had the hogue grip on the Sig229 until I bought the crimson trace laser grips (which are also terrific).

Paul556

UZI Talk Supporter
That's funny. I traded my Sig 229 for a Glock 35. I liked how the Sig felt in my hand till I pulled the trigger. It felt like the barrel sat too high and it flipped up too much when I shot it. I could be just my perception. I also didn’t like the two different trigger pulls for DA & SA. Really it comes down to use what you like and feel comfortable with. Happy shooting!

I am a dyed in the wool 1911 junkie :D

BUT - my daily carry gun is a Glock 23 :eek!

I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster (IWB, tuckable)

Glocks are something that grow on you. try it out, get used to the striker fired action. they are quite acceptable in the accuracy dept.
Avoid KB's by not reloading for that caliber.

Last edited:

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
KB=KaAaAaaBBBbBbOOOOOOoMmmmm!

bad ju-ju! (self-destruct mode)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter