Has anyone throated an Uzi barrel for better feeding?

mike400

I am in the process of getting a Semi feed ramp in my SMG. But I was hoping in the interim that I might get better feeding with HP’s. Has anyone done this with any success? I know Barrelxchange says his will feed HP’s. Anyone Had any luck?

pmf

I have never had any problems feeding any 9mm ammunition in my uzi as long as it had a ball shaped bullet. I don't understand why people want to bother putting semi feed ramps into full auto uzis.

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
I had mine built with one because it was only like a $100 option

Jones

I prefer a semi-auto feed ramp; not so I can shoot hollowpoints, but for a little extra support for the chamber end of the barrel.
Ball ammo is what Uzis were designed to shoot-- along with everything else in my gun safe.

mike400

I sold an Uzi SMG years back that Vector put in a Semi feed ramp. It ate anything and everything I put in it. It’s a big plus putting Flat nosed subsonic ammo in it and shooting supressed. I am looking for that reliability again.

Jones

I think the semi feed ramp is the key. When fully chambered, .135" of the round already sticks out.
Any throating of the barrel would increase that unsupported case length. Feeds anything but ruptures cases, isn't a good trade-off.

Chamber detail 1.jpgChamber detail 2.jpg

Last edited:

Dirk Hawthorne

I have never had any problems feeding any 9mm ammunition in my uzi as long as it had a ball shaped bullet. I don't understand why people want to bother putting semi feed ramps into full auto uzis.

because THEIR gun DOESN'T feed hollow points

not every gun works the same as every other gun, because of stacking manufacturing tolerances

the UZI was designed to feed 124 gr round nose FMJ, and a lot of UZIs choose to stick to that

Dirk Hawthorne

I used a dremel tool and a wooden jig to put a slight funnel on an SMG barrel

as I was about to do it, I said to myself, "You idiot, you are about to ruin a barrel."

it came out perfect. and I mean perfecto- it looked perfect, like it was done on a lathe and it works great

which is a miracle, because a dremel tool should never be within 10 miles of a firearm

anyway, US BARREL SHROUDS sells a barrel that will eat literally anything. It's actually a pretty good barrel, except that the chamber is a little on the huge side. no problems with it so far

Last edited:

Dirk Hawthorne

I think the semi feed ramp is the key. When fully chambered, .135" of the round already sticks out.
Any throating of the barrel would increase that unsupported case length. Feeds anything but ruptures cases, isn't a good trade-off.

View attachment 39363View attachment 39364

You can make the end of the barrel slightly more funnel shaped without chewing into the straight walls of the chamber tha support the case

there is enough extra meat there

I used to have a sketch, I'll see if I can scrounge it up

did anyone ever have ruptured cases from throating a barrel?

Jones

Can't say Dirk... but I'm not foolish enough to say it could never happen.
From years of gunsmithing, I've seen guns damaged/blown up in some pretty creative ways... sometimes taking their owners/shooters with them.

Dropping the wrong size shotgun shell in then chambering the right size shell in on top of it.
A 20 ga shell can usually almost make it to the choke on a 12 ga. When fired, you end up with an almost cartoon banana peel where the muzzle used to be. Only without the laughing.

Hydraulic mouse in an M1911A1 barrel because someone oiled the bore then didn't bother to run a patch through it before shooting.
Makes disassembly "challenging".

Backstrap blown off along with entire top half of cylinder because some nitwit drilled out a 44 spl so they could shoot 44 mag through it.

Shooters figuring they could push a bullet lodged in the barrel out by just loading another round in behind it and pulling the trigger.

Honing out the chamber with a Dremel tool enough so that the cases swell to the point of turning a semi-auto into a single shot.
That one took an otherwise extremely nice M1941 Johnson out of commission.

Doing an internet images search for "firearms explosions" shows a number of weapons I'm glad I wasn't holding when they let go.
As sue-happy as people are these days, I don't feel like being the one defending myself in court because someone took a statement out of context and ended up hurting themselves-- or worse.
Seems like the same person who thinks a pair of pliers is a power tool, usually has an attorney, so "Never say Never".

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter