Ha... Mini-magnums...

Shattered

A unique way of stuffing more powder in a case...

Wonder if anyone else is getting brass looking like this? They don't all look like this, but the appearance of some is a concern as I reload.

photo328.JPG

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I've seen that before. That's what happens to brass when Chuck Norris thinks about reloading.

SwampMan

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/images/smilies/Wow.gif

Dang. 2 guesses.

1. The primer is too sensitive so the round is going off before the bolt is in battery.
2. The case is out of spec and does not fit in the chamber and thus is firing out of battery.

Either way, OOB's are not good. Are you experiencing this problem with any other type of ammo?

dnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I had a bunch of these with my AMP11 until Alliance opened up the chamber and the upper broke in with more shooting.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I had a bunch like that with my M/10 45 alot of them also split turns out I wore the chamber out. New barrel and all is well and I can reload the brass again.

wolf45acp.jpg

That was about two years ago. gun ran great wasn't until we were picking it up that we noticed it.

zipakna

UZI Talk Life Member
A unique way of stuffing more powder in a case...

Wonder if anyone else is getting brass looking like this? They don't all look like this, but the appearance of some is a concern as I reload.

is that from winchester white box? a guy at the range was using winchester white box and had a few look just like that and some blew the primers out.

Shattered

I've seen that before. That's what happens to brass when Chuck Norris thinks about reloading.

Heh... I ain't no Chunk Norris, 'bro. Still getting them out of the AMP11 occasionally. Mike already replaced the barrel once, I'm thinkin' that deep forcing cone leading into the chamber allows for too much unsupported brass. I'm going to try to modify the barrel a bit so the boltface is right up against the chamber. 80% of the brass that goes into the AMP is un-reloadable and that's got to change.

AZ Doug

UZI Talk Life Member
Check your chamber and make certain you don't have a torn case mouth stuck in there. Your cartridges could be head spacing on a torn case and firing out of battery.

DINK

Are these your lead-bullet reloads again? Check the chamber for built-up lead deposits (again). The cases you photographed were fired out-of-battery and in an open-bolt gun with fixed firing pin that usually means something is keeping the rounds from going freely into the chamber.

Don't forget the 9mm headspaces on the case mouth, so if you modify the barrel to be closer to the bolt face, you are also changing the headspace and you will need to ream the chamber deeper.

Shattered

Nope. These are factory fresh American Eagle 115s in the new barrel... well virtually a complete new upper. I sprung for the new upper with longer rail and Mike threw in some other stuff gratis. Even the empty rounds he sent to me from his test firing were a bit more swollen than I would have liked. The chamber is clear... no broken case spacer or lead buildup. Just get one or two of these every outing, with a lot of what looks like minor belted rounds. The Dillon dies are going to make these look like Coke bottles on steroids... so much so that I would be borrowing John Sokols roll sizing machine if I intended to use them. As it is, I'm just heaving the AMPs brass into the 30 gallon drum with all the berdan.

Well aware of the case mouth dealie & 9mm. If the modified barrel doesn't get it, I'm gonna make another barrel. I still have a dozen super deep rifled 2 foot long blanks sitting here and may as well replace that ringed barrel in my TASK slofire at the same time (thanks, WWB whitebox...). I already replaced the Walther MPL barrel that almost blew with that crap ammo...

Hey... did yer 5320s ever come? Cooter ended up getting 3 copies a couple days before the shoot because he bitched (finally) to ATF in Hartford... somebody there must like him.

DINK

Damn! If that's what happens with factory ammo, then there's something wrong with that barrel and I don't think you're going to cure it easily. The chamber is cut wrong or the feed ramp is too deep.

No, I never did get them. Due to personal matters, I didn't pursue it. Next year, hopefully.

Shattered

Damn! If that's what happens with factory ammo, then there's something wrong with that barrel and I don't think you're going to cure it easily. The chamber is cut wrong or the feed ramp is too deep.

No, I never did get them. Due to personal matters, I didn't pursue it. Next year, hopefully.

Yeah, I kinda think the feed ramp thing doesn't have to be anywheres near that humongus. I think that's a carry over from the Saiga shotgun design team. If the barrel mod I have in mind doesn't work, we're making a new barrel... hell, an MP5 barrel doesn't have ANY ramp type lead in... just a minor beveled edge on a flat face and they kinda work OK... that chamber reamer will be cutting the chamber deeper in any event.

BTW: You might think about filing the 5320's NOW for next year. Whoever's covering CT is screwing the pooch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter