gun purchase horror story.

xm15e2s

A good buddy of mine went to buy a shot gun from a local dealer, last month and got denied without reason. he filed a appeal with the batf along with the required fingerprint card. he got a reply back saying his name or birthdate is being confused with a known felon and he was supplied with a letter to give to his ffl dealer saying that it was ok to proceed with the sale. the big problem is that the letter was a one time use item. the next time he wants to buy a gun he has to go thru the process again. the batf took no action in correcting the mistake and gave every indication that it will continue to happen. does that suck or what.

cookie

Founder
I've heard of similar cases, but was under the impression that they (ATF) could put a letter in your file, and then you tell your dealer each time to remind them about it. This is second hand info though, so I can't swear to it.

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
I thought giving them the SS number was supposed to avoid that.

He might want to complain to his congressman assuming he has one that's worth a crap.

pmf

I've got it almost as bad. EVERYTIME I buy a gun I get turned down and have to wait 2-4 hours for a call-back. EVERY DAMN TIME.

I cannot find any way to get around this. I've got a clean record, been approved to own class 3 weapons, have a C&R license and have held a top secret security clearance.

Its completely ridiculous in this day and age. How can that dumbass NICS system be trusted to keep guns out of the hands of criminals when it can't distinguish them from us?

AliYahu

pmf, if you've got security clearance you're fingerprints are probably actively on file, that's why you're getting delayed. Cops regularly get delayed for the same reason, TX issues CHLs to cops cheap so it doesn't happen (they get to bypass the check w/ CHL).

A

pmf

What's a CHL?

Nah, I don't think the security clearance has anything to do with it. I had this problem before I got it, during the time when I had it, and still have it even though the clearance is no longer active.

More likely, its some bad guy with a similar name. I just wish there was something I could do to clear it up. I called the state cops in VA where I live. They said there is nothing they can do.

timspawn

FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
I had a guy try and pick up two pawned firearms. He first got a delayed response from NICS, that turned into a denied. I got a call from them yesterday saying that they had changed the denied to a proceed, and sent him a letter stating such. Now heres the real kicker. The original check was done over thirty days ago so when he comes in to pick up his guns, I have to do another check on him. Anybody want to venture a guess as to what the results of that will be? NICS and the state of Florida are supposed to be using the same data base. When I do a check on myself through the state it goes right through. When I do a check on myself with NICS (FBI) it is delayed for several hours. WTF?

Tim

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter