Galil Buffers

Paul Kersey

Years ago I purchased and installed a Galil recoil buffer for my IMI ARM. Years later, it is crumbling and I need a new one. It is the type that sits IN rear of the receiver, not the AK ones that sits and the end of the recoil spring. Does anyone know of a source for new ones?

I don't know if they are really needed, and I believe the IDF never used them. BUT- cheap insurance since the price of these rifles have gone up.

Deerhurst

I've never seen one. If your gun is so over gassed it is beating it's self to death put a KNS piston in it and adjust the gas.

My Galil does not run one. I also dislike AK buffers.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Maybe try Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Corp? They have been my go to place for pretty much anything that's an oddball or hard to find for 35ish years

Paul Kersey

I've never seen one. If your gun is so over gassed it is beating it's self to death put a KNS piston in it and adjust the gas.

My Galil does not run one. I also dislike AK buffers.
I don't think it is over gassed and have never seen an indication there is an issue. But with the price of IMI Galils today, it's cheap insurance. This one sits in the back, I do not like the AK bufffers that since on the recoil spring unit.

Deerhurst

I don't think it is over gassed and have never seen an indication there is an issue. But with the price of IMI Galils today, it's cheap insurance. This one sits in the back, I do not like the AK bufffers that since on the recoil spring unit.

I assume original Galil?

Proper insurance would be a KNS instead of a piece that can and will fail AND is difficult or impossible to source. Just sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I understand how and where it attaches. I've spent time building galils and enjoy them very much.

AK buffers do not interfere with the spring in any meaningful way. The spring assembly is just a handy place to attach it so it doesn't bounce around inside the rifle.

What these buffers do do is artificially reduce the distance the bolt has to travel and directly transfer recoil to other parts and your shoulder which may not be an issue without. Long bolt travel without hitting anything is a key to smooth recoil. My AKSU with KNS can be set up to never bottom the carrier out which has the advantage of basically zero recoil. Sights don't even move. Carrier never hits anything in the rear of the receiver.

IMHO, for a machine gun forum the Galil, unless select fire, is pretty cheap even compared to a MAC. I still beat on my saigas as often as I can. Hell, my AKSU is worth well more as a cut apart kit than I have into it with stamp. You can either set it up so you can enjoy it or you can set it up for someone else to enjoy and if you set it up for someone else to enjoy, IMHO, might as well sell it.

Paul Kersey

IMI Galil Model 372. It is not fired that much and it looks brand new. My kids will enjoy the great shape it is in. I use my guns but do keep them nice. The Galil is not fired that much because it has brothers and sisters crying for food as well.

The last time I looked at sold actions on GB (yes- I know) IMI .556 Galils were going for over $6500. Not NFA expensive, but a good chump of change in my world.

As you know, IF the bolt carrier is hitting the rear mounted buffer, something is off. It is crumbling because of it's age, not because it has taken a beating. This buffer does not restrict movement of the carrier under normal operation. I believe I read where the IDF did not use buffers (may be wrong on that), but then again, they did not have to worry about replacement parts. This buffer sits out of the way and I use it only because it was/is available. Who knows- might encounter an overcharged round sometime.

Deerhurst

I don't abuse things either. I have a saiga with something north of 20,000 rounds down the pipe. Original finish looks about what it did from the factory. Seriously, few years of competition and training with easily a case or more down it in a day.

My family has a Valmet stashed along with other goodies. I'd shoot that thing as much as possible if it were in my hands. I totally get that it's just disintegrating. Most you find are likely to be just as old and brittle. I see that with HK buffers. The rubber just falls apart. Got a box of them in the family. 50+. Just rotting away. Doesn't last forever.

If the carrier hits the buffer at all it shortens the stroke. 2 things cannot be in the same space at the same time. None of my Galil kits have had buffers of any sort.

If you encounter an over pressure round a piece of rubber in the back of the receiver won't help you. You better hope it's not too over pressure or you'll lose the gun when it blows up. I load my 556/223 pretty hot. Can't tell looking at the receiver.

I'm probably biased in a way as building, rebuilding, making parts, etc isn't a big deal for me. I'd rather not have to make parts or find parts if I can have a solution that takes care of the problem once and forever such as a KNS piston. Expensive but once tuned you don't have to worry about anything unless you start shooting ammo way lighter or way hotter loaded then you just adjust it a few clicks and go on your way. That's why I did it on my AKSU. I'm seeing proper 1/6.3 barrels listed for $1800 these days (mine has that barrel twist)which is $100 shy of what I have into the gun total. Even seeing Arsenal factory AKS74 SBRs listed for nearly $6k. Mine is Bulgarian kit built. Things are insanely expensive these days. Protect it and enjoy it.

boscoman

UZI Talk Life Member
Paul you may just be out of luck on this one. I have gone over all of my old Galil links & am unable to find anyone that still has a supply or makes these anymore.
I get that you don't like the AK buffer, but it may well be the only choice you have if all you want to do is have one for "just in case".

dubagel

The one that goes into the rear receiver is for the South African R5/5/6 series. IMI never used one on the Galil series, you can use the SA one. IWI ACE series rifles use buffers from the factory but they are the ones that insert over the recoil spring like the blackjack or buffer technologies ones. IWI wouldn’t put it in the gun from the factory if it caused reliability issues. Advantage of those is you don’t have to take the rear stock assembly off. Go on gunbroker, search R4, vendor is 24hr Tactical, $25ea. They used to have a website but no longer. Good guy to deal with for Galil/SA R4 stuff/IDF or SA slings too.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter