Galil AR and SAR parts kits

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Mr. Folgers -
No apologies needed brother.
You really didn't come off as disrespectful, only a little "inquisitor" like.
Your a truly outstanding member here, extremely knowledgeable, and always willing to "lend a hand".
I know your intent was to enlighten us as to questions we may not have thought of, and I appreciate it.

Your central concern, though, seems to be your aversion to risk, and I'd like to know, who exactly, poses the bulk of this risk, in your opinion?
Is it Contact international, or the importer - who is yet unspecified, or a potential third party (me?).

(You know what, PM me about it, instead of publicly calling this kind of stuff out.)

Thanks brother.

Don Vito

Ares i might also be noted that Tortort Mfg the fellow doing the 80% milled receivers might do some Galil receivers in 80%.
Ive spoke with him and its a viable option to him. Ive also offered him both 308 and 556 receivers to get dimensions along
with a copy of the mechanical drawings. As far as a timeline as to when this might happen could be a while as he has had
such a great response to the AK receivers and trunions hes producing and can hardly keep up with the demand for them.
If this does happen I will bring it to the attention of this board with a new thread.
Oh and I will likely want a couple kits

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. In truth I just care a lot about the community here and I want to make sure everyone is protected from getting short-cutted and is adequately informed. I sort of went off the handle, and I apologize.

For a buy this big, you have to have an importer. Worst case customs seizes the order and either appropriates it as US Gov't property which could include destruction.

Even at $250 if contact ships each individually, you might be able to get the order through customs but is technically verboten w/o import approval forms completed and approved in advance.

Mr F knows his stuff. Personally, I'd be happy to pay an extra fee for someone else to assume the risk, manage the paperwork, and ensure we actually receive the parts.

Bottom line, importing gun stuff in large quantities is not something you want to do as a DIY.

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Don Vito - 80% kits possible from Tortort possible, and you might want a couple of kits, copy that.
As soon as I'm able to get the rest of my questions answered, I be able to get a better lock on the final kit prices.

RSR -
Thanks for the input, but -
I'm not "doing it myself".
I'm not receiving any payments, for anything at all, and I probably wont even order anything. I've got plenty already. I'm just doing the "leg work", trying to organize things between us, the U.S. distributor, and Contact International. No real work involved.

This purchase would be going from Contact International to one of their U.S. distributors/importers.
Customs is not going to seize it.
Contact is not about to ship each kit individually.
At least 100 kits must be ordered.
"import approval forms completed and approved in advance" - naturally, that's why the shipment would go to the U.S. distributor.

"Personally, I'd be happy to pay an extra fee for someone else to assume the risk, manage the paperwork, and ensure we actually receive the parts. " - You'll be glad to know, if you're part of the group buy, you would be "paying more" for someone else to assume the risk, manage paperwork, and ensure we actually receiver the parts - that's the job of the importer, that's what they get paid for.

Guy's, do me a favor, please, and actually read the previous posts, as most of the answers to your questions are in there.
I hate to have to keep repeating the same stuff.
It's really not a lot to read.

And yes, Mr. Folgers does, know his stuff.

Last edited:

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Mr. Folgers - your many questions, did help me to consolidate my thoughts, on the final questions, I've now put forth.
So, "take heart", and thank you!

And thank you to everyone else for your questions, and interest.

As I've said before, full payments, will be needed "up front", with you're orders, and would be sent to the importer, I'm not taking anything, (or responsible for) anything.

People, please chime in hear, but my personal advise on payments would be something like a certified bank check, as you'd have "recourse" if something goes wrong, whereas with USPS money order, I think you would not.

All of our final questions, should be answered now (well, very soon anyway), as well as a final pricing set.

So, stay tuned.

Off topic again..............IWI Galil Ace 7.62x51 rifles are now shipping to USA!!!!!

Last edited:

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
USPS Money Orders are much more secure than a bank check. USPS Postal Inspectors are as if not more relentless than the IRS.

It was not clear earlier that you had secured an importer. Have you worked with this person previously. If there's some problem with the import, checks returned, etc?

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, I've secured an importer, now.
No, I've not dealt with him before, it's one that he (the importer) says is a very longtime friend, and business partner of Alon, at Contact Int.
I'm, at this very moment, I'm receiving, and returning emails, to both Contact, and the importer, with my final questions.
There are a few costs involved, naturally, that I didn't foresee.
Stay tuned.

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
You guys all know already, that I don't want to be the one collecting the money, and taking responsibility for everything.
I've said that from the start.

Now watch, how the importer will probably want to deal with only one person - one payment.

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
Sorry guys,
But this deal has "crashed and burned".
The "customs" - brokers fee - alone, just the customs fee, that the U.S. importer would have to pay, actually more than doubles the cost of the kits, from Contact International.

If that wasn't enough to crush the deal, the U.S. importer, (very understandably really), doesn't want to take 100 payments, from individuals, and as I've said, I'm not going to be the money and responsibility taking middle man.

The Contact Int. price per kit, originally, sounded great, but they are demilled by the importer, (adding about 20%, of the original kit price, to each kit.
Then you add in "Customs" brokers fees, (alone, more than the total of all of the Contact 100 kits)
Additionally, there is still the shipping fee, which I haven't yet gotten, but, at this point, doesn't really matter.

I'm really sorry, but unless someone else wants to step in, and collect payments and (responsibility)for the kits, it's a "no-go".

The kits, now look like they'd be around $420, not including shipping.

Very sorry guys, I really did want to see a bunch of smiley faces here, but............I'd grab one of the 24 Hour Tactical ARM kits now, even at $750, while I could, I think he's got two or three left, as it looks like they may be the last of the best kits around. They aren't "mint", but they are very good, and nobody else's are "very good".

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
The importer isn't really the problem.
Neither is Contact Kalia.
Yes, the price for all the associated fees has more than doubled the kit prices, probably to around $475 or so, but, it's still not a bad deal for "very good" condition Galil kits.
The real main problem is, I'm not going to take the responsibility, financial and otherwise, of 100 buyers.
I've done pretty much all I can, and I don't want to have to take all the payments, store all the kits, send them all out, hear complaints that "my trigger spring is missing", and deal with people who want their money back for whatever reason.
Obviously, that makes me financially responsible for any screw ups, anywhere down the line.
I'm sorry, but the plan, the whole time was, for the importer to do all that, not me.
I guess I shouldn't have mentioned anything, until I knew everything, but I was only given access to the importer, today actually, so that's when I found out all this other "show stopping" information.
My sincere apologies to everyone.

At least we've got some wood ARM handguards coming soon, from Ironwood Designs!!!
Hooray!!
( I hope that one doesn't fail too!)

Last edited:

Para1962

It was too good to be true, thanks anyway Aress. I had gone ahead and bought a kit from 24hrs, and still have a couple of ARM handguards I got from Botach. Now I just need to wait for some 80% receivers, or give up and buy a CNC at $599, and give Jeff a call to get my second ARM build underway.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Now Contact could probably sell partial kits with just the parts we need/want to individuals not as complete parts kits for the same price to them as they'd sell the full kits...

For instance, I'd pay $100+ for an ARM gas block, etc.

Johnbrian

Sorry the deal couldn't be worked out. I would have taken a SAR kit & an ARM kit.

The one part I'd REALLY like to have is a folding wood stock or at least the hardware. Failing that, a non-folding stock with hardware or just the hardware. Price may be an obstacle though.

Ya, I know, but a fellow can dream!

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm actually still "in talks" with the importer.
(Big "sticking points were - $2000 importation fee, and my reluctance to be the "middle man", which I still refuse to be.)
We may be able to work something out on both of those.
I'm still trying!

I'll "keep you posted".

No word yet from IronWood Designs on the Galil ARM handguards.
I'll contact them again too.

Stottman

If you cannot meet the USD "threshhold" for direct from Israel, the same rifles are sold in Europe out of Austria. Wouldn't be any cheaper, but might be easier paperwork wise.

DoctorCheney223

Email sent to you AresShrike as I'm currently working with Alon right now and could swing several hundred kits for myself, not counting what folks here on Uzi Talk would want.

V/R
Ron

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter