Full size Uzi Suppressor recommendations.

ETS03

Hello all! I was just referred to this forum a few days ago and I’m already quite impressed! I did some searching but Didn’t see any open forums with any info on this so I figure I’d ask around. I am just purchasing a full auto Uzi and would like to pair it with a good supressor. The gentlemen who owned it before me recvomended the Bower Vers9 which seems to have pretty good reviews. That being said I’ve also been pointed towards the Gemtech Mossad II but that seems to be either discontinued or difficult to get. I’m fine buying used as long as they aren’t super beat up.

Any recommendations from people who’ve tried any on the Uzi and had a good experience would be appreciated. Or even referrals to places that might have discounted ones.

Thanks I’m advance for the help! I am looking forward to learning more.

Chef

You'll never get a solid consensus on the best suppressor to use with the UZI. Everyone will have a different opinion and reasons to back it up.
Personally, I have tried a few different types and I'll tell you my opinion on them.

All of them worked as designed and to my ear, without a decibel meter, sounded similar enough to each other, so sound reduction wasn't a factor.

My first one was a rather large diameter one that replaced the barrel nut (Its long gone and I don't recall the make or model). It was also somewhat long because it had a long expansion chamber to accommodate the full length SMG barrel. This is going to be the "standard" for suppressors made specifically for use with the UZI.
I found it to be unwieldy. Unnecessarily long and fat.

Later I got a shorter barrel with a 3 lug on it. First suppressor I tried was a YHM wraith with the 3 lug attachment. It's a long and skinny suppressor. Again, it was too long for my taste, and I didn't like the esthetic of the small diameter tube.

Finally I acquired a YHM R9 to which I fitted the 3 lug attachment. I found the length and diameter what I consider to be in the "Goldilocks" range (short, but not too short, not fat and not too thin) and the specs and price on the R9 made it an easy choice. It's by far the easiest to use and best looking can for the UZI, IMO.

The R9 is multi caliber and FA rated, welded stainless construction with the industry standard, 1 3/8 x 24 base threading to accept most common adapters.
And since I have other firearms with the 3 lug attachment, it's quite universal and I can bring out multiple SMGs and only the one can.
IMO, the 3 lug is the best mounting style available. The problem is the lack of 3 lug barrels for the UZI. With Richard gone, there is no current source for new ones. You'd just have to score one on the secondary market or chop a standard barrel and fit an adapter. Member amphibian said not too long ago he was thinking of having some made, and I'm sure there is a demand for them, especially if they were chrome lined and the 3 lug was milled into the barrel itself.

So TLDR: My recommendation for a UZI suppressor would be the YHM R9

ETS03

Thanks! I’ll look into that can and see where I end up. Always open to new ideas. I’m definitely thinking of adding an SP5 to my collection eventually so trilug doesn’t seem like too bad of an idea. As far as a trilug Uzi barrel goes I’m sure I can source one for the right amount.

That being said, I’m not opposed to a Longer style can for some reason which is why the Vers9, Gemtech Jericho/mossad (whatever they call it now), and gsl Phoenix stick out to me so much. Every thread I’ve read seems quite debated so we will see. I’d like something with decent customer service so Bowers has my vote thus far.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Check out the Suppressor section here also: https://uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?forums/suppressors.67/

I used to be a huge Gemtech MK9K fan and am primarily responsible for driving up the demand to bring that back into production I think around 2005 or so? It stayed in production till Gemtech was acquired by SW. The Phoenix is a rebirth of the MK9K. That said, I never liked how the inner tube and blast baffle were aluminum and the inner core wasn't supposed to be user serviceable. Fast forward to a few years ago, I had Joe at Curtis Tactical (who is now at Shaw Armament) make me a custom suppressor that he was super impressed with and called it the CT9KS and now is available at Shaw as the MK9. It is also available without the ugly banner / logo on the side. https://www.shawarms.com/products/thundercan-5176-7191aa71-0d15-454d-8bef-9719e1028535

This can is fully serviceable and uses no aluminum (all SS and Ti) despite that it is lighter than the GSL Phoenix which is amazing. I cannot tell the difference between it and my MK9K in sound.

Here are is a thread about it with some vids: https://uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/curtis-tacticals-new-ct9ks-coaxial-suppressor.92307/

Link on my site regarding UZI mounts: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1142
As mentioned above, most UZI suppressor mounts work with an unmodified UZI barrel which makes them long. The shortened UZI mounts I have pictured below are no longer made but I think Joe at Shaw will make them.
UZI-Suppressor-1024x775.png

As you can see going with a barrel nut mount that is designed to be used with a cut down barrel is the shortest possible setup but then when you shoot unsuppressed you need to remember where you put that barrel nut....
The 3 lug is longer but way more convenient so it is a trade off.
I also think the 'Bixler' 3 lug mount is the best and that is now being made by Joe at Shaw as well. He is the only commercial production source for the Bixler mount.
I have documented the Bixler mount on my site here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=553 and here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=777

Regarding serviceability it isn't just about cleaning but repairs if the manufacturer ever goes out of business. I would never buy a welded centerfire pistol caliber can. It was a surprise when SW took over Gemtech and they won't service the MK9K. I know someone that works for SW and they wouldn't even do it for him. However the MK9K is easy to re-core repair for any C2 with the proper equipment. But servicing a welded can narrows down the people that would do that to a much smaller list and most of those talented people are too busy making other stuff that makes them more money.

Regarding 3 lug barrels, I have a chrome lined full size SMG barrel on GB now and will end the auction if you want it. (on that note, I don't want to make this an ad so if you tell me you are interested, I will end the auction and create a post here on UZItalk to list if for sale.). It is the barrel used in this thread: https://www.uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-feedback-on-ima-barrel.99677/ Which I threaded the barrel the entire length of the 3 lug adapter so there is no carbon build up. This is what I personally have 3 lug UZI barrels with the integrated 3 lug by Tim Bixler himself but I personally don't use them. Instead I use IMI barrels (which are not chrome lined) with the 3 lug adapter threaded the entire length of the adapter. Remember that chrome lining on a SMG isn't like chrome on an old car bumper that is going to flake off easily.

I thought the quality looks very nice.
The SOT license that I'm on specializes in making specifically AR barrels for other manufacturers. So it takes some convincing to do the UZI barrels but he is softening up to it.
We have the sources for various blanks including cold hammer forged and may just outsource cutting the 3 lug to one of his friends then send off to to chrome lined. The only thing we are lacking is time. We would probably do a small run of just regular button rifled as a test especially since we have those blanks on hand.

I think everyone likes the idea of cold hammer forging and chrome lining but in reality this is just 9mm not 556 with much more extreme pressures. I don't think either are needed at all. I don't remember the last time I cleaned any of my IMI UZI barrels which are not chrome lined and I'm here in humid Florida.

Here is a picture of some barrels that I put 3 lugs on for a member here:
Oh and I also notched the barrel nut on a rotary as well.
Sten-UZI-3lug.jpg

Chef

If you're starting a list, you can put me down for one of the chrome lined barrels.
Button or CHF, I'll take whichever one you make.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Like Amphibian, I too am a huge MK9K fan and have had Curtis Tactical (now Shaw) convert one to CT9KS for my Micro. Great upgrade.
With that said, for my full size UZI, I just recently bought an AWC MK9, NIB for a song. VERY quiet and I like the look of the MK9 on a full size.

Last edited:

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought a AWC MK9 years ago that replaces the barrel nut yes it’s big long and fat but I dare you to find one that’s quieter. It looks silly on my full auto with today’s suppressors being so small, but I’m quite satisfied with it. sometimes I use my sons omega 9 since amphibian made me a three lug barrel for it. It’s still quiet, but not as quiet as The MK9.

Slowmo

Thanks! I’ll look into that can and see where I end up. Always open to new ideas. I’m definitely thinking of adding an SP5 to my collection eventually so trilug doesn’t seem like too bad of an idea. As far as a trilug Uzi barrel goes I’m sure I can source one for the right amount.

That being said, I’m not opposed to a Longer style can for some reason which is why the Vers9, Gemtech Jericho/mossad (whatever they call it now), and gsl Phoenix stick out to me so much. Every thread I’ve read seems quite debated so we will see. I’d like something with decent customer service so Bowers has my vote thus far.

I have a GSL Phoenix and like others on this thread, I am a big fan of the coaxial designs (MK9, Curtis Tactical/Shaw, the Phoenix, etc.), but they collect a lot of carbon/lead/crap, and the aluminum construction of the Phoenix makes it a little harder to clean since you can't use a lot of the most effective known chemical methods. Edit to add: This is a good reason to go with one of the offerings from Curtis/Shaw in my opinion. They are made mostly (entirely?) from stainless and titanium I believe and can be used with harsh chemicals like CLR, the "Dip," etc.

I don't know if your Uzi will be your first full-auto or not, but if it is, you might want to hold off on buying an SP5 until after you have your Uzi out of jail. I haven't shot any of my semi-auto PCCs since I got my first full auto.

Regarding mounting a suppressor, you can just buy a shortened and threaded barrel from Pike. I've used a number of theirs. Just slap a 3-lug on the end and be done with it. They sell them in batches and are only periodically available, so buy one now if they have the right type for your gun. You will need to determine whether your gun uses SMG-spec barrels or semi-auto barrels.

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/id-7751

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/id-7749

Slowmo

Like Amphibian, I too am a huge MK9K fan and have had Curtis Tactical (now Shaw) convert one to CT9KS for my Micro. Great upgrade.
With that said, for my full size UZI, I just recently bought an AWC MK9, NIB for a song. VERY quiet and I like the look of the MK9 on a full size. About 3 weeks ago I left 3 messages over the course of a week and a half for Joe at Shaw about some work on the MK9. I have yet to hear back. I was told he was in a meeting all 3 times. REALLY? Not impressed. YMMV.
They just posted on their Facebook page a day or two ago about doing re-cores, so I am fairly certain they are still at it.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Slowmo,
Good morning.
Not looking at a recore. Just looking to have the rear cap changed out from m11 to a Bixler 3 lug. I have the Bixler already. My MK9 has spanner holes in the front cap. I've tried to get it apart and even used heat. No go. I know they come apart but I dont have the correct jaws to hold it.

Slowmo

Slowmo,
Good morning.
Not looking at a recore. Just looking to have the rear cap changed out from m11 to a Bixler 3 lug. I have the Bixler already. My MK9 has spanner holes in the front cap. I've tried to get it apart and even used heat. No go. I know they come apart but I dont have the correct jaws to hold it.
Sounds similar to my .45 MK9. The rear is M10 .45 factory thread (7/8-11? I forget), and the front has two pin holes for a spanner. I have not yet tried to disassemble it since I have a Curtis CT45K that I’ve been using. I need to call Shaw today anyway related to an NFA transfer. I’ll ask what the best way to get in contact with Joe is.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Regarding mounting a suppressor, you can just buy a shortened and threaded barrel from Pike. I've used a number of theirs. Just slap a 3-lug on the end and be done with it. They sell them in batches and are only periodically available, so buy one now if they have the right type for your gun. You will need to determine whether your gun uses SMG-spec barrels or semi-auto barrels.

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/id-7751

https://www.pikearms.com/catalog/product/id-7749

As mentioned above, I personally like to thread the entire length vs just slapping a 3 lug on there. As this will happen below. That is some hard fouling. Bear in mind that almost all FMH ammo has an exposed lead base. HP, do not have an exposed lead base but how many people shoot 100% HP?
3lug-adapter-fouling.jpg

IMHO, threading the entire length is the way to go.
I've also had good luck with the Pike barrels.

Slowmo

As mentioned above, I personally like to thread the entire length vs just slapping a 3 lug on there. As this will happen below. That is some hard fouling. Bear in mind that almost all FMH ammo has an exposed lead base. HP, do not have an exposed lead base but how many people shoot 100% HP?
3lug-adapter-fouling.jpg

IMHO, threading the entire length is the way to go.
I've also had good luck with the Pike barrels.

It can definitely get funky in the 3-lugs. I almost exclusively shoot coated and plated reloads, but for awhile, my dies weren't setup optimally and were scraping the coating off leaving exposed lead. Ugly stuff. I have been using the Kaw Valley 3-lugs, which are nice, but they are nitrided carbon steel. I think I am going to go to stainless 3-lugs so I can just throw them in CLR or the Dip when needed.

I'm curious though, wouldn't threading all the way through provide more nooks and crannies for the crap to collect in?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm curious though, wouldn't threading all the way through provide more nooks and crannies for the crap to collect in?
Not sure what you mean by that. Both are threaded, the barrel and adapter to match:
thread.jpg

so there is zero build up on the barrel/adapter...all goes into the can

Slowmo

Not sure what you mean by that. Both are threaded, the barrel and adapter to match:
thread.jpg

so there is zero build up on the barrel/adapter...all goes into the can

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. I thought you were running threading all the way through the adaptor just to eliminate the shoulder present in some 3-lugs where the threading ends and the free-bore starts. I didn't realize you were also extending the threading on the barrel to go all the way through the 3-lug.

ETS03

Check out the Suppressor section here also: https://uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?forums/suppressors.67/

I used to be a huge Gemtech MK9K fan and am primarily responsible for driving up the demand to bring that back into production I think around 2005 or so? It stayed in production till Gemtech was acquired by SW. The Phoenix is a rebirth of the MK9K. That said, I never liked how the inner tube and blast baffle were aluminum and the inner core wasn't supposed to be user serviceable. Fast forward to a few years ago, I had Joe at Curtis Tactical (who is now at Shaw Armament) make me a custom suppressor that he was super impressed with and called it the CT9KS and now is available at Shaw as the MK9. It is also available without the ugly banner / logo on the side. https://www.shawarms.com/products/thundercan-5176-7191aa71-0d15-454d-8bef-9719e1028535

This can is fully serviceable and uses no aluminum (all SS and Ti) despite that it is lighter than the GSL Phoenix which is amazing. I cannot tell the difference between it and my MK9K in sound.

Here are is a thread about it with some vids: https://uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/curtis-tacticals-new-ct9ks-coaxial-suppressor.92307/

Link on my site regarding UZI mounts: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1142
As mentioned above, most UZI suppressor mounts work with an unmodified UZI barrel which makes them long. The shortened UZI mounts I have pictured below are no longer made but I think Joe at Shaw will make them.
UZI-Suppressor-1024x775.png

As you can see going with a barrel nut mount that is designed to be used with a cut down barrel is the shortest possible setup but then when you shoot unsuppressed you need to remember where you put that barrel nut....
The 3 lug is longer but way more convenient so it is a trade off.
I also think the 'Bixler' 3 lug mount is the best and that is now being made by Joe at Shaw as well. He is the only commercial production source for the Bixler mount.
I have documented the Bixler mount on my site here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=553 and here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=777

Regarding serviceability it isn't just about cleaning but repairs if the manufacturer ever goes out of business. I would never buy a welded centerfire pistol caliber can. It was a surprise when SW took over Gemtech and they won't service the MK9K. I know someone that works for SW and they wouldn't even do it for him. However the MK9K is easy to re-core repair for any C2 with the proper equipment. But servicing a welded can narrows down the people that would do that to a much smaller list and most of those talented people are too busy making other stuff that makes them more money.

Regarding 3 lug barrels, I have a chrome lined full size SMG barrel on GB now and will end the auction if you want it. (on that note, I don't want to make this an ad so if you tell me you are interested, I will end the auction and create a post here on UZItalk to list if for sale.). It is the barrel used in this thread: https://www.uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-feedback-on-ima-barrel.99677/ Which I threaded the barrel the entire length of the 3 lug adapter so there is no carbon build up. This is what I personally have 3 lug UZI barrels with the integrated 3 lug by Tim Bixler himself but I personally don't use them. Instead I use IMI barrels (which are not chrome lined) with the 3 lug adapter threaded the entire length of the adapter. Remember that chrome lining on a SMG isn't like chrome on an old car bumper that is going to flake off easily.

I thought the quality looks very nice.
The SOT license that I'm on specializes in making specifically AR barrels for other manufacturers. So it takes some convincing to do the UZI barrels but he is softening up to it.
We have the sources for various blanks including cold hammer forged and may just outsource cutting the 3 lug to one of his friends then send off to to chrome lined. The only thing we are lacking is time. We would probably do a small run of just regular button rifled as a test especially since we have those blanks on hand.

I think everyone likes the idea of cold hammer forging and chrome lining but in reality this is just 9mm not 556 with much more extreme pressures. I don't think either are needed at all. I don't remember the last time I cleaned any of my IMI UZI barrels which are not chrome lined and I'm here in humid Florida.

Here is a picture of some barrels that I put 3 lugs on for a member here:
Oh and I also notched the barrel nut on a rotary as well.
Sten-UZI-3lug.jpg
Thank you! I’m going to read up on the Curtis CT9KS today. So far it seems like it had a lot of good reviews and it’s quite promising. The only question I had was if they still have the gemtech adapter for it to thread directly to the firearm? I’ll think about that trilug barrel, seems like there is mixed reviews about what is better but I see the appeal. Seems like if I go with trilug even if I do go with a shorter suppressor it will be inevitable longer. I’ll have to consider that and make my decision accordingly.

On a side note, I love the FAB Defense Raul you have on yours, I wish they still were making them with some regularity because I’ll be needing one of those soon!

And thanks again for the input it means a lot!

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Thank you! I’m going to read up on the Curtis CT9KS today. So far it seems like it had a lot of good reviews and it’s quite promising. The only question I had was if they still have the gemtech adapter for it to thread directly to the firearm? I’ll think about that trilug barrel, seems like there is mixed reviews about what is better but I see the appeal. Seems like if I go with trilug even if I do go with a shorter suppressor it will be inevitable longer. I’ll have to consider that and make my decision accordingly.

On a side note, I love the FAB Defense Raul you have on yours, I wish they still were making them with some regularity because I’ll be needing one of those soon!

I can't find the thread right now but someone posted some pics that Joe did of a custom UZI mount where he machined the teeth like a real UZI barrel nut so I presume he can do it.
Yes, it will be a tad longer but more convenient especially if you want to quickly remove it just for transport and have a small case for your UZI.
I obviously like both. However, have a strong preference to the Bixler mount due to the rock solid lockup and no o-rings or springs to worry about wearing out or maintaining.

Slowmo

I like 3-lug for sub-guns, but it isn't the only solution one can use with a threaded barrel. I believe the Shaw MK9 uses HUB mounts, so you could use a short Plan A adaptor from Griffin and one of their corresponding taper mounts, which would add minimal length.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter