Drum: Vector or CSM???

rag

Help decide on a drum, I know the CSM is more expensive, but is very reliable, and that Vector will fix any problem I may have with theirs.
But,
How does the overall quality and style compare?
And is the CSM drum "offset" like the Vector appears to be (the part that enters the magwell is angled in relation to the drum)?
Please post pics if you have them!
Thanks

tommygun2000

rag said:
Help decide on a drum, I know the CSM is more expensive, but is very reliable, and that Vector will fix any problem I may have with theirs.
But,
How does the overall quality and style compare?
And is the CSM drum "offset" like the Vector appears to be (the part that enters the magwell is angled in relation to the drum)?
Please post pics if you have them!
Thanks

From my experience, CSM drum worked flawlessly out of the box.
The dummy rounds are /look like dummy rounds, in that they are machined to look like a real cartridge shape. This appears to lend itself to better and possibly more reliable feeding. CSM drum also still had the lanyard loop on the drum, near the feed tower.

Yes they are both offset the same way. This facilitates a better feed angle inside the drum around the periphery, reducing the angle or bend that the ammo must take to get into the feed tower.

I also have Vector drums. One of them is a bit spotty in its function and will be going back to Vector shortly. The other works well. They have a harder time winding(pulling the copper tubing dummy rounds out of the feed tower) than the CSM drums but are basically the same thing.
One thing that Vector did was put a metal guard ring on the back of the drum to prevent "hand scrambling" if the button is pushed and the follower whirls back to its resting position and in the process, possibly chopping up your hand. This was a very smart move on their part and will no doubt save someone some pain and suffering along the line.
The Vector also gives you a "Winder" which is a PVC end cap that has been milled to act as a handle to wind the follower. This also is a safety feature, to prevent scrambled hands.

Other than these differences, they look very similar and are a blast to shoot. If you get a Vector for way less money, they will eventually make it right or replace it.

NOTE: If you send it back for a replacement, I'd record the serial on it just to be sure. This in no way implies that they would NOT replace it, just a check and balance.

Most who have bought the Vectors seem happy as the service is second to none. I just have a problem shipping a company's defective goods back at "MY" expense. I will ask for a call tag when I send mine back and see if they will honor my request.

CSM drums were a limited production as the ATF stopped their production midstream, so that may be a value factor...years from now, like the Thompson drums.

Fit and finish on both CSM and Vectors were almost identicle, but the parkerizing on one Vector drum was not etched as deep as the other and scratched more easily upon opening of the cover latch. I'm not a real finish fanatic, and fully expect it to scratch.
They were designed to be combat weaponry and will be treated as such....not crystal champaigne glasses.

you will be happy with either one. I bought my CSM drum when they were the only game in town. Now you have a choice, but they are both good.

Last edited:

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
Take the $300 that you'll blow on a drum and buy 10 40 round mags for the same price. Almost like having 5 drums for the same money.

KarlPMann

Banned
From a mostly common sense approach, the 40's are a bit wiser IMHO. But just one drum would be sooooo much fun. :heavy And I'd go with the Vector personally. I've learned patience in dealing with ATF. I can wait 'til I get a working drum, heck, I've waited this long. :rolleyes Karl.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Tommygun 2000's review covered the subject perfectly. I also own a C&S Metalwerkes drum and it has been perfect out of the box. I've seen 4 of the Vector drums at our monthly subgun matches and all but one had function issues from the start. I have little doubt that Vector will make it right but... why ship sub-
standard products in the first place. I do like the "safety ring"
on the back of the drum to prevent accidential release of the spring. It's a nice touch and I'd like to have one added to my C&S drum. Still the question remains, are either worth the money? I'm happy with mine but rarely use it except during matches at which time it's worth a lot in terms of not having to reload.

tommygun2000

If I were taking my Uzi into combat

dustindu4 said:
Take the $300 that you'll blow on a drum and buy 10 40 round mags for the same price. Almost like having 5 drums for the same money.

I think your 10 forty round mag idea is a good one, however being able to change mags and dump a whole drum is like the difference between shooting one of those little orange exploding targets or a half pound Tannerite.

What I'm curious about is if this mag ban dies and is not renewed, will the prices on these drums go up or down?

Either way, I have what I need for now and enjoy shooting with them. Every once in a while, I'll let a kid at the range blast a whole drum just to see him smile ear to ear.....for the rest of the day!

A drum, at least one, is a useful and asthetic addition to any Uzi collection.
My next purchase is going to be some 40 round mags though.

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
McLoud has thousands of the 40 rounders in stock, no joke. He was one of the original importers or something. Go give him a visit and bring your piece to try them out on his range. If they don't work he'll give you one that does. Last time I saw them they were $30. I'm gonna buy a bunch when my form clears, cuz I won't buy mags that won't fit/function in the gun.

Clever

Re: If I were taking my Uzi into combat

tommygun2000 said:
What I'm curious about is if this mag ban dies and is not renewed, will the prices on these drums go up or down?

I would assume prices would go down; supply/demand and all that. There's certainly not several hundred dollars worth of parts and labor in the drum magazines without the AWB to artificially restrict the supply. Why would you think they'd go up?

tommygun2000

Re: Re: If I were taking my Uzi into combat

Clever said:
I would assume prices would go down; supply/demand and all that. There's certainly not several hundred dollars worth of parts and labor in the drum magazines without the AWB to artificially restrict the supply. Why would you think they'd go up?

Things that are/have been produced during specific times in history have some intrinsic value to certain people.
They are(simply by their production date) a kind of historical marker, ie; early Thompson drums. The new drums worked as well, but weren't old originals, made back when.

I think that CSM drums may have a value later, but thats just a guess based on other oddities in the NFA market. (limited production)

It's anyones guess as to what will happen. Who ever thought that certain breadboxes, vases, plates, knick knacks, ect would ever be worth the prices they command? They are just a few pennies worth of clay or glass......but they were made by a certain company, in a certain country, or at a certain period or date in history.

Collectors are a bit weird (myself included in the generalization) sometimes when it comes to putting a value on certain items of interest. What one thinks is unique, is just run of the mill to another..."until the mill closes", then everything that mill made has a greater value. ie; Vector Uzis, even though that was production impeded by laws...they are still gone.

I certainly hope prices drop. I'm not overly concerned with the money that I have in the drums that I already own. I'd like to be able to buy or even make them cheap too.

Time will tell.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
The CSM drums were selling for $300 before the AWB, so they might come down a bit if the ban sunsets, but they will still be expensive compared to stick magazines.

But you can bet the price of Beta C mags will drop well below $700!

Clever

I understand the Thompson drums are more expensive because of their historical value, but the C&S and Vector drums are built out of a Suomi drum and an Uzi mag for the feed tower. Not much historical value...

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
You are correct that the drums are built out of a Suomi drums and an Uzi mag for the tower, but few companies outside of C&S have been able to make this simple combination run with near perfection. Most products with a reputation for quality and durability will hold their value against similar products of lesser quality.

This isn't intended as a slam against Vector, just my opinion based on limited personal experience. I love my Vector Uzi and know first hand what great factory support they offer. I just feel they haven't worked out all the bugs on the drums yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter