Does Wolf 115 grain run in a RR open bolt well? Ammo recommendations?

FNP90

I have an IMI Registered Receiver conversion. I’m looking to buy about 10k of 9mm and was wondering how well it runs in an open bolt UZI.

Unfortunately I have to keep it stored out of state and don’t really have easy ability to test ammo types.

Any input or recommendations are warmly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Machines

Never tried it in a subgun, but Wolf 9mm seemed to cause a lot of failures in my Sig P225. The side wasn't going far enough back to strip a new round.

TexTenn59

Wolf, Silver and Brown Bear run fine in my Vector/Group RR. It’s dirty, but runs. Only issue I’ve ever had was with Winchester - case wrinkle when factory seated bullet, jammed in chamber. Slowed bolt enough if didn’t go off out of battery. Happened at Knob Creek about eight years ago. Inspect rounds closer after that.

Samuel_Hoggson

I've put several cases of Wolf Mil Classic 115s through my Vectors. Zero issues. I use it in my G-19 and 26, too. Dunno whether Tula 9 is as reliable.

124NATO

I really like the Winchester NATO 124. I haven't had any problems so far there a little hotter and cleaner .
You can find cases for about $210 if that's in your price range

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
I only shoot wolf in my semi ak

With 9mm at $160 a case shipped right now for s&b why bother with wolf

Smart move buying in large quantities. 9mm won’t be cheaper than right now

FNP90

Can you direct me to the S&B and what grain? I’ve had good luck with it in the past with HK’s but no experience with an UZI.

Garyh

I have put thousands of rounds of both wolf and Tula through mine. Works great, but as stated above, it’s pretty dirty.

bigu2fan

I am a big fan of S&B ammo. I have put many cases through a RR IMI Uzi and found it to be very consistent. In my experience it is
hotter than domestically produced ammo like CCI Blazer Brass. That said, I have had great luck with CCI laser Brass in a vector Uzi. I would buy a bunch of S&B and be done with it.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
The major down side I’ve experienced with all steel cased ammo is the case friction against the steel magazine feed lips. It’s not always easy to load mags and sometimes will cause feeding problems as the steel cases gaul against the steel magazine feed lips. Being described as “dirty” is likely the result of the chamber seal which you’ll see with all steel case ammo. No way I’d stock 10k rounds.

Like BigU2fan, I’m also a huge fan of S&B 9mm ammo and to a lesser extent, Blazer brass. It’s priced right and selling the fired brass will help reduce your initial cost bringing the price closer to Wolf.

I will no longer purchase Fiocchi.
9b8ItG.jpg

Last edited:

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
Often on sale at $150 per 1000, all my guns — including full auto — “like” Magtech 115gr and 124gr, made in Brazil. High quality, residue on par with US brands (not dirty), and the brass reloads well if I’m so inclined. I’ve never had an ammo related failure with it. It makes up the majority of my 9mm non-subsonic ammo cache. I use it in 45acp too.

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
You can get blazer brass for 149 shipped now from Palmetto. I've never used steel case because I figured it would eat extractors

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
With new extractors selling for twenty bucks, you’d be money ahead shooting steel over brass if your only concern is worn extractors. I’ve shot a pile of steel cased 9mm and 5.56 with no signs of excessive wear.

Today I rarely shoot steel case ammo. Knowing guys wil buy the absolute cheapest steel case ammo for a transferable subgun they spent many thousands of dollars for and the waited a year to take home, I do use it for testing.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
The guys at BRP tend to endorse cheap steel cased for THEIR GUNS.

The concept is if all is replaceable and cheap, shoot the steel. If not, don't.

Like others, I really like S&B (can't pronounce the name); it's pretty inexpensive, brass cased and reliable.

rentprop1

I'm a cheap ass MO FO, and only run Wolf or Tulammo in our post samples, no issues in 4 years and probably 40 plus thousand rounds, we even use it for our rental machine guns that we charge on a per mag basis.... Last year at the Florida Firearms Expo, some asshat actually made a comment about our price for an MPX mag and the fact that it had tulammo in it instead of brass at that price..... I yanked the gun out of his hand and explained it's the cost of doing business, wear and tear on the Firearm, and just because some Mall ninja like him can get his jollies off shooting 30 rounds full auto out of an MPX.... as I was walking away I said you'll probably put pictures of it on Instagram,lying to your friends telling them thats its your gun:bang......you should have seen his face.

Samuel_Hoggson

Broken 2 M-16 extractors shooting steel, at a clip of about 1 extractor/15k. Have yet to break an Uzi extractor. Has anyone done it?

At 14 cents/pop (= my current reload cost using my brass), 100% reliability (to date), and silly-easy range cleanup using a magnet, steel is the obvious 9mm answer for me.

In fact, this thread "made" me pick up some more Mil Classic.

Traveler

UZI Talk Life Member
…… Being described as “dirty” is likely the result of the chamber seal which you’ll see with all steel case ammo…..

Yep. I agree 100%. The reason is steel doesn’t expand as easily or evenly as brass.

The result of the poor chamber seal is quicker carbon buildup in the chamber. It’s not really an issue in tapered chambers, like 9mm, 7.62x39, etc. Straight chambers are less forgiving.

Lately I have been shooting a lot of Blazer Brass. It runs well in my SMGs and it’s made here, in the U.S.A.

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
I had an uzi extractor break, was using brass. Replaced it and no problems since

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter