Cryogenics on Uzi??

trgrhppy

I've been hanging-out here for a few months, waiting for the approval for transfer of a slightly used Vector Uzi. This seemed to make the wait more bearable, and I've learned a lot! This is a great place. My approval came in last week, and I picked up my Uzi last week-end. The previous owner had sent it in for the "cryogenics" process. This seems like it would be a good thing-has anybody here had any experience with this? Thanks, trgrhppy. Since I got it, I'm in love all over again!!

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
trgrhppy, welcome to Uzitalk and congrats on the new arrival! You have every reason to be in love.

Was the barrel cryo treated or the whole gun? I don't have any personal experience with a cryo barrel in an Uzi. I bought a cryo MP5 barrel from Terry Dyer last year but I wasn't really looking for one. That just happened to be what he had. It doesn't seem to make much sense in an Uzi. Accuracy and barrel life aren't really that big an issue - especially in an Uzi where barrels are easy to change, easy to get and relatively cheap. With Vector receivers being heat treated, you aren't likely to wear them out. You could always try - starting now! Take pictures for your friends at uzitalk.

trgrhppy

Rover, I think just the reciever was "cryo"ed. He also had it K-coated, and a semi feed ramp welded in. Trying to wear it out will be a good time! My wife likes shooting it, and will probable help me with this. The digital camera doesn't work, so I can't take any pictures. trgrhppy

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Maybe the previous owner confused the heat treated Vector receiver with cryogenic treatment. All Vectors come from the factory with heat treated receivers for long life.

tommygun2000

Cryoing a spray and pray weapon barrel

and or receiver would be a real waste of time, money and effort in my opinion.
There are specific reasons for doing it to a long rifle barrel that would have a tendancy to move in different directions when heated, before being uniformed molecularly. Accuracy is usually the greatest reason. This is accomplished by changing the properties of the metal on the molecular level, thereby changing its vibration dampening characteristics, its fatigue/stress levels and its heat transfer characteristics. Even on these barrels, its not as common as you might think. Cryo treatment is not cheap.

Cryogenic treatment releives the stresses in a piece of metal and allows it to expand and contract more uniformly. Hardly a trait necessary for a weapon like an Uzi. The ten inch barrel would have very little movement, and firing is always corrected for constantly with a machinegun. In other words, spray and pray.

I also think that the previous owner may have misspoken on what treatment that the gun had. I think that the simple hardening procedures used are sufficient for a long life with an Uzi.

JIMBO

First UZI Talk Supporter, ,
trgrhppy-

Welcome to the forum:welcome I am sure you will like it. You know Kodak is selling their disposable camera complete with a CD of ther pictures processed. That way you can send the pics direcdtly from the CD attached to any email you may want to send. It is a very cool set-up. And reasonably priced. Check it out. It's great to have you with us, sit back and have fun.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter