Cheap Scope Mount with pics

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
Cheap Scope Mount project with pics

I just finished a project which I've been planning for the better part of a year. I'd had most of the parts already, I just had to get myself a drill press to finish everything off. I'd actually tried starting this several months ago, but gave up in frustration.

First off, I'd like to thank NFAnut, Firefighter, and Watchin for their excellent advice, without which, I would have once again given up on this.

I've been wanting to mount a red dot to my Norinco UZI ever since Amphibian let me use his full size full auto with Docter sights. I'd never used a red dot before, but I loved the way it worked. The problem was that it just seemed like overkill to put a $400 scope with a $200 custom topcover on a gun I'd originally paid $300 for. M60JOe makes a great topcover with mount, but It also was a little too expensive for a semi (in my opinion). If I had a full auto and wanted to put some type of Acog (?sp) scope on it, I'd probably buy one of his, but I was trying to put a cheap $25 red dot I got at a gun show on a Norinco 320, so I wanted to keep costs down. I want to point out right now that this WILL NOT work for a full auto gun for reasons I'll explain later.

I started off by buying a 2" rail from M&A parts. It cost me about $15 and came with the appropriate screws and two specialized nuts. The screws were threaded 10-32, which is why I was asking about this in a recent thread. The rail itself had the two screw holes only about an inch apart, so I started off with measuring the centerline on the center raised rail on the topcover. I then placed the rail on top of it and decided more of less where I wanted it, then, I measured the space specifically to drill the two holes for the screws to go in.

Here's where I ran into the problems that made me give up on this months ago. That topcover must be made of some of the most resilient metal I've ever dealt with. I've drilled into metal before, but that topcover went through at least three different drill bits before I finally gave up. Now that I have a drill press, I though I'd give it another try and was told by members here that I should use a #21 drill bit, preferably made of Cobalt. The closest I could find was a 5/32" which NFAnut told me would be good enough. He was right. Once I'd clamped the topcover in place, I put a drop of Breakfree CLP on the spot where I'd be drilling and applied slow firm pressure. This time, the drill went right through, so I drilled the second hole. After cleaning up the holes, I proceeded to tap the holes. Like I pointed out before, I'd never tapped a hole before, so I was kind of afraid I'd end up with a sloppy mess. As it turns out, it was pretty easy, but mostly because I went slowly. I made sure to hold the piece perfectly horizontal on a tabletop and drove the tap in slowly and with constant pressure. Both holes were successfully tapped in a matter of minutes. This whole plan was contingent on the toprail being thick enough to be threaded, which In my estimation, it was, but that was just a guess. After tapping it, I clearly saw at least three threads in each, which might not be much but I figured should be enough for my purposes.

This is what I had so far.

Mount1.JPG

I hand screwed the two nuts into the newly tapped holes and saw that they went in well and held perfectly. I measured that about 4mm protruded down into the botom of the topcover, which would interfere with the bolt, so I got out my dremel tool and cut down the screws. I also got out my little tube of guntite, which I was planning to use to lock these in place once I screwed them in. Here's a picture after they were cut down:

mount3.JPG

At this point, it was a simple matter of applying the GunTite to the threads of the screws and assembling the unit. I made sure to screw the screws in nice and tight, but I knew it was important not to overtighten since the cover is still rather thin. I'm hoping the GunTite hardens well enough to keep it all nice and tight, but if someone else is trying this, they might want to consider silver soldering the screws in place once done. This is what it looks like once assembled:

Mount5.JPG

I then mounted my cheap red dot sight onto the unit and slapped it on in place. It seems pretty good to me, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The rail is low enough that the scope is really low (though not low enough to cowitness the front-sight of course). The only problem I had was that it was so low, I had to use a screwdriver to push the topcover release button back to release the cover because my finger didn't fit in.

Now, here's a word of warning: doing this the way I did would be unsafe in a full auto gun. The rail is only 2" long, but it sticks out just a little too far forward, and unlike M60Joe's mount, it is not raised for the slotcover to slide under, meaning that with this topcover mounted, I loose the last half inch of rearward movement on the cocking knob. I tried it on my semi-auto chinese UZI, and I can still work the action and eject cases by hand. I'm sure a semi rifle will still work with this setup, but I'm still not too happy about this. On a full auto rifle, the knob is supposed to go back even farther than on a semi, and the last 4mm of rearward motion are required to activate the ratceting topcover. If I were to put this cover on a full auto gun (even if it had a ratcheting device built in) and tried to pull the bolt back, the minute I let go it would fly forward firing off a round.

It may be possible to get past this problem by cutting off one step in the rail up front, or better yet, by milling down the bottom of the rail up front to allow clearance for the slotcover. I know some people also cut the slotcover in these situations too, but I'd rather not do that. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about this yet, but I'll post here if I come up with something.

So here's the breakdown including parts:

Rail with nuts & screws (the nuts don't get used).......$15.00
5/32" cobalt drill bit ...............................................$3.50
10-32 drill & tap kit (drill bit didn't work, tap did).........$5.00

I didn't include the price of the drill press since I was getting this for other projects as well. Overall, not bad for a little bit of work. I'll post pictures of the rifle with scope mounted tomorrow, my digital camera doesn't have a flash so all my attempts have been a little grainy.

Last edited:

Dan0341

UZI Talk Life Member
Nice job on the scope mount! I compensated for the rearward movement of the slot cover, with ratchet mechanism, by removing metal from the mount (see pics). If I was to do it again, I would not remove as much metal to clear the height of the slot cover. I've been using this mount for 3 plus years and it has remained rock solid.

Dan

mount2.jpeg

mount3.jpeg

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
Dan0341 said:
Nice job on the scope mount! I compensated for the rearward movement of the slot cover, with ratchet mechanism, by removing metal from the mount (see pics). If I was to do it again, I would not remove as much metal to clear the height of the slot cover. I've been using this mount for 3 plus years and it has remained rock solid.

Dan

Excellent! This is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Last edited:

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Lookin Good cvasqu03!! You have just been appointed my Rogue UZI Smith in Miami-Dade County!!:m16s Ah I wish the avatar had twin UZIs, but oh well.

firefighter

UZI Talk Life Member
Awsome job on the scope mount!!!

I love it when a plan comes together, and actually works the way you wanted it to.

Way to be persistant, and do what you had set out to do.

It just goes to show you, that with determination, and sometimes a little help from others, you can do a project that you may not think you could have done.

Great job.

watchin

UZI Talk Life Member
Good job! I wonder what was up with the original drills? I know that I have discovered that drilling into hardened parts is all but impossible but the top cover should not be a hardened part. I would think that a #20 or 21 drill would worm right down through that. I haven't drilled one yet so I will take your word for it. Glad it's looking good for you. When you get to fire it you will know what adjustments you want to make. I predict that you will be doing a lot more stuff now that you got your feet wet. Way to go.
-watchin-

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
OK guys, those of you with OCD will understand where I'm coming from, but I was completely unable to go to sleep thinking that I'd left this project somehow incomplete. This issue of the cocking knob not going all the way back was really bothering me so at 2am, I took it all apart, clamped the rail to my vise and starting working with my trusty old steel file. No fancy equipment here, just a handheld file. About half an hour later, I had removed material from the front end of the rail. It looked like this:

filed.JPG

I filed away until I'd removed enough to leave clearance for the slotcover to go all the way back. I then cleaned up the threads on the screws (where the GunTite had already dried) with a steel brush in my Dremel tool.

I tried bluing the newly exposed metal but it wouldn't blue, so I figured it was made of aluminum or some other metal that won't react appropriately. I ended up painting the area black with a black touch up pen and waited for it to dry. Once it was dry, I once again assembled it.

I've had to lighten this picture a lot so you can see the clearance in the front of the rail now. Notice how the rail seems to hover on top of the cover now:

filed2.JPG

Here's a picture of my currently overweight hand pulling the charging knob all the way down. Notice how the slot cover now slips under the rail and moves back as far as possible.

filed3.JPG

And here's a picture of what the topcover now looks like:

filed4.JPG

NOW I can call this project done. Well, actually, once I get the side cocking handle I ordered from Teps71, I'll be able to call it done, but I've done everything I can so far. I'll post pictures of the gun with the scope mounted later. Time to get some sleep.

watchin

UZI Talk Life Member
It keeps getting better. You are driven, man, and that is a good thing. Or maybe it's just too much coffee late on a Saturday night. Either way, it's getting the job done.
-watchin-

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Miami-Dade County's Rogue UZI Smith only went to sleep because he ran out of parts to put on. LOL. The ingenuity and craftsmanship of many of the forum members continues to impress me.

NFANut

UZI Talk Life Member
Nice job cvasqu03! Glad it all worked out.

Looks like Dan0341 has a good way of doing it too with the flat head screws on the inside and nuts on top; avoiding the need to tap the hole in the cover.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
NFANut said:
Looks like Dan0341 has a good way of doing it too with the flat head screws on the inside and nuts on top; avoiding the need to tap the hole in the cover.

Yeah, I noticed that. It looks cool. I might do that next time. I have a feeling I'll be doing this again sometime.

Here are some pics of the rail with the scope mounted and one of Teps71's side cocking handle. I put the display barrel on it so the whole rifle would fit in the picture.

rifle4.JPG

watchin

UZI Talk Life Member
Nice picture of the finished product. Let us know how you enjoy shooting it with the new setup. Thanks for sharing all the great commentary and pics.
-watchin-

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter