Can you explain this picture?

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
LOL! I have had to fix coffin mg springs, but never one that bad. Looks like a bad heat treat

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
There were two different gauges of wire used for coffin mag springs. I believe the thinner guage is prone to breaking in multiple places.

JohnFreeman

UZI Talk Supporter
Clearly, you were operating the magazine using reloads instead of factory ammo!

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Where can replacement springs for those mags be had?

Never seen any. I have repurposed an uzi mag spring for one, soldered 1 and used a coupling. All seem to be working fine. Looked at winding a few mag springs and does not seem worth it to make the fixture. Wolf wanted a huge order to make them, and they were not cheap either

carpecervisi

UZI Talk Life Member
This makes me nervous as hell. Never thought about the springs going tango umbrella and no replacements available.

USMG

it happens on older mags, the springs become brittle and break. looking at the square shape, an uzi spring may work. send me an email and I can check tomorrow if we have one that I can give you.
Michael@usmachinegun.com

USMACHINEGUN.COM
FFL/SOT

root

UZI Talk Supporter
And those mags cost HOW MUCH?

Gonna take more then a couple of coupling to fix that!

Rich

HighriseATX

UZI Talk Life Member
Here is the story. I bought a M11A1 with a Lage Max31A mk2 that had been comletely cerakoted including two drums and two coffins. To the best of my memory, I only loaded the coffin with 50 rounds once and about a week later was out shooting. After a few rounds, the mag would not feed (you can guess why). I unloaded the mag and thought I just had a stuck follower. About two months later I took it apart and shot the photo. I contacted the seller just in case he knew something about, he says we he reassembed the springs were not broken. He has a background in metalurgy, he added:

"My guess is that you or someone else attempted to refinish the outside of your other mags without dis-assembly and cured the entire mag in the oven causing this embrittlement to these springs. These 60-70 year old springs are made from a beryllium-copper alloy rather than the more modern silicon steel alloy used in modern magazine springs. These
Cu-Be alloy springs are much more susceptible to heat damage than silicon steel springs."

I've got uzi mags, so I'll experiment to see if they can be repurposed in a coffin. Whenever I get to this I'll update this thread. Don't hold your breath, I've got lots of more fun gun projects in the pipeline.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Yours is not go first report or photo of broken coffin mag springs, but none of the other mags had been refinished. I not convinced high temperatures contributed to the springs breaking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter