Bowers CAC9 for 9mm and 22lr?

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm considering buying another 9mm can for the max11, for double duty use.
I've had a hard time finding good info about taking the bowers cans apart for cleaning and (to a lesser extent) their overall performance.
I'm assuming (due to volume mostly) in 9mm the cac9's should perform farily well. what about in 22lr? first round pop?
how's the take apart and cleaning of a cac9? are they all aluminum with a stainless blast baffle?

for reference, I have a degroat mk99 mod0 and a degroat DELTA, so I have a good pistol can and a long subgun can. but they're both sealed making 22lr a no no.

thanks

Abiqua

The baffles go in a specific pattern and Tom recommends that you send it in to him for take apart and cleaning. He only charges $15 total (to cover return shipping) and will upgrade to most current baffle stack at no charge.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I've owned my CAC-9 for over a decade and I've leaded it up so badly it should have been a crime. Take it down and clean it up or send it back to Tom for service. What's not to like?

I used it for many thousands of rounds with my Vector Uzi .22 conversion and it sounded great in full auto. Volume is usually your friend when it comes to cans, and this is certainly the case with the CAC-9.

I usually suggest calling Tom and having all your questions answered by the guy who makes and services the cans. He's easy to talk to and you'll be getting your information straight from the horse's mouth.

Tom Bowers
(503) 992-8697

Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST
Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. PST

Garrett

Suppresses very well. I've never leaded it up enough to the point that it started loosing performance. Like Vegas and Abiqua say, when I get to that point I'll probably just ship it back to Tom. The baffles can get jammed in there pretty tight. I'm not sure how Tom gets them out without totally ruining the thing, but he apparently has it figured out. When I sent it in for the AIMS-mount upgrade, I could not get any of the baffles out. I was afraid if I were to beat on the back of them any harder, I'd break the cone out of the middle of the baffles. That was with my 10-year-old baffles. I've got the newest design in there now, and it sounds noticeably better than the original baffle stack.

Travarmy

+1 for Tom and his customer service. I had my CAC9 upgraded with the new AIMS system. I called Tom about cleaning and he said with the new design its not required. He said with the new system the end caps help compress the stack.

Travis

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
THe CAC series of cans sound great. Ours comes apart easy for cleaning (i do not bother unless I have shot a couple thousand .22 though it though). Had 10k of .22lr through it in a couple of months when I was testing .22 conversion kits and I literally had to beat the can apart and work the baffels over with a chisel before I put them in the blasting cabinet. The newest baffel stack has some cuts so you need to pay attention to the order that they are in. In addition the blast baffle is different. Like other have said though just send it back to Bowers with a check for $15 and let him work his magic. The CAC series of smg cans is by far the best bang for the buck out there.

Surly

UZI Talk Life Member
"Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson'
I love mine and I put cast lead through it mostly. I've had it apart several times and, when it goes back together, I lube the walls of the can and the outsides of the spacers and baffles to keep them from fusing together. After shooting, I put a little Ed's Red on the blast baffle for the hell of it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter